PDA

View Full Version here: : Bad Sci-Fi Movies

Baddad
17-05-2013, 08:37 AM
"No Blade Of Grass"
Watched it last night. It was so bad that I just could not stop watching it. So incredibly poor that it fascinated me to the point where it was so unbelievable that they would air it. Insulting to the audience.

"A family escapes an environmental holocaust"
English. A virus decimates cereal crops, leading to severe food shortages throughout the world. Resulting in anarchy and marshal law.

Score: 1 out of 5.

Is there something wrong with me that I should watch a movie purely for its lack of credibility as a movie?

Cheers

rustigsmed
17-05-2013, 10:06 AM
haha i know what that can be like, you just want to see where they're going next!

The worst i've seen is Skyline: 0.5 out of 5. unfortunately i read a review the next day that said DO NOT SEE THIS MOVIE! for once a movie review was correct!

cheers

Ric
17-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Don't worry Marty, I do it all the time.

I alway's get sucked into a really bad sci fi or horror movie.

You have a pretty good idea of what is going to happen and how it's going to end but you still have to watch it to the end.

There was one last night Resident Evil - Extinction. I've played the game, knew the plot but still watched it though.

It did have one thing going for it Milla Jovic. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Stardrifter_WA
17-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Interesting. The first time I watched Skyline, I would totally agree with that assessment, but then I watch it again, much later, and actually didn't mind it so much. That has happen with quite a few movies actually.

The worst I have seen in recent times is Melancholia. I doubt I could sit through it again, as it put me to sleep the first time round. Yes, really, it put me sleep. :lol: It was just so slow and boring. At least some of the other terrible movies have great sfx to enjoy, if not the story.

Larryp
17-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Marty, there is something fascinating about really poor movies and TV shows. I get sucked in to them too. I remember when my kids were small, there was a Japanese childrens serial called "Oshin"on TV late afternoon, and it was dreadful-so bad that the whole family would watch it religiously every afternoon!!:rofl:

Ric
17-05-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Laurie

Do you remember those old Mothra, Godzilla and Gamma movies. :lol:

Larryp
17-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Loved-'em, Ric:rofl:

rally
17-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Marty,

The poor story and screenplay probably gave you cause for a good chuckle at just how bad it was !
Isn't that one of the reasons we watch movies - for their entertainment value ?

But curiosity is also a need to satisfy ! - What happens to whom and how, how bad does it really get, surely it couldnt be that shallow . . . ?

I see no problem with that.

I find after having watched a portion of a poor movie that I feel like have made a mental investment in it - to go to bed and ignore the rest would be to lose that investment - so I stay up to watch the rest !
Must be something wrong with me.
With the exception of the overtly over the top horror and gore, where the producer is trying to make up for a bad storyline with it - that just makes me feel ill.

Rally

LewisM
17-05-2013, 11:40 AM
There was one years ago that was SORT OF an attempt at an Alien style movie - the scientific team goes inside like a pyramid, with internal traingular windows everywhere, and there is an Iguanadon-esque looking Alien. It was TERRIBLE - so bad, I would love to find it again and watch it.

Ric
17-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Starship Troopers

So corny it became a cult movie.

I must have seen it at least a dozen times.

Baddad
17-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Thankyou all of you who responded.:)

I have now realized that its the curiosity factor that had me roped in. I wanted to see just how bad it could get.
Now I want to see Skyline. That can not be good considering it got that "Do not watch stigma".:)

Starship Troopers, I watched a long time ago. Never again.:P

Thanks for the support. I do feel better now.:)
However;
Ric, Starship Troopers, a dozen times,
LewisM, lost title,
LarryP, Oshin,

You worry me, not because you watched once but went back for more.:lol:

Perhaps Rustigsmed is the only sane one out of us.:lol:

Cheers:)

Steffen
17-05-2013, 02:06 PM
I dig bad Sci-Fi and am a great fan of the Schlocky Horror Picture Show on TVS :thumbsup::rofl:

Best worst Sci-Fi film I've seen there lately was "Destination: Outer Space", with Josh Craig as Captain Jackson :D

Cheers
Steffen.

sjastro
17-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Can this include classics from the 1950s such as Robot Monster?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster

Steven

Draco
17-05-2013, 02:26 PM
IMHO the writers do not have enough scientific knowledge when they are writing the plot. Once it is all written and decided on, they just want it made and sold so that they can get some money out of it ;)

Some sci-fi movies are shockers .. to put it mildly .. others give you things to ponder about and maybe research on for future advancements

Baddad
17-05-2013, 02:44 PM
Steffen, you need help. My son is a psychologist, but he is in Germany flying Blackhawks.:lol:

The best, worst sci-fi movie????? :lol:;) Now that adds a weird twist on things.:lol: (thinking) Best worst movie??? (I can get my head around worst movie but best worst? Hmm.:lol: That's going to bother me Steffen:lol:

The hairy robot thing, Steven, that must be a really bad one.

Hi Draco, Yes I agree. The lack of knowledge leads to poor performances

Steffen
17-05-2013, 02:52 PM
Now, what's wrong with that picture? :lol:

Cheers
Steffen.

telemarker
17-05-2013, 02:53 PM
A couple I've been unfortunate enough to see are pure and simple shockers. Manborg and Terrorvision. I still cannot comprehend what happened in either of these, let alone why I watched them.

Stardrifter_WA
17-05-2013, 03:21 PM
The worst sci-fi movie, as mentioned earlier is Melancholia, was bad enough, but I reckon the very worst movie I have ever seen was Australia, and I saw that three times, each time with a different girlfriend :lol:

After the first showing I just started looking for and counting the cliches. :sadeyes:

Ric
17-05-2013, 03:23 PM
We can always watch those old Hammer horrors from the 70's on late night telly.

I think they used to churn out about 1 a week. At least Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee had stable employment. :lol:

graham.hobart
17-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Something I saw as a young one and never forgot ..
"The Colossus Of New York" 1958 (they used to show all the old B & W movies late at night on the Beeb.
Tag line ... A brilliant brain surgeon encases his dead son's brain in a large robot with unintended consequences!"
Now there was a plot!!
Arrrgh! Crash!!
graham:einstein::rover1::bashcomp:

pmrid
17-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Steve, great image - just demonstrating how hard it is to concentrate when there's someone or something looking over your shoulder.
Peter

Stardrifter_WA
17-05-2013, 03:57 PM
That reminded me of another movie called Colossus : The Forbin Project, synopsis here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus:_The_Forbin_Project

Made in 1970 the story seemed so far fetch, as did another movie, from the same era, about a computer taking over the world.

Fast forward another 40 years.....who knew...three W's? And, there is another parallel, in the movie the Russian site was covered up as a meteorite strike....hmmm, wonder if that town in the movie was Chelyabinsk :lol:

Steffen
17-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Oh dear. I will refrain from asking what kind of movies you do like… :shrug:

Cheers
Steffen.

Stardrifter_WA
17-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Actually, Steffen, I pretty much like them all, particularly sci-fi. I have a large collection of sci-fi, including the older black and white. Some of it is really corny but it is interesting to watch to see how the ideas have changed over time, let alone the sfx. But, Melancholia is one of a very few I wouldn't put in the collect though.

Cheers Peter

big_dav_2001
17-05-2013, 11:09 PM
For those into cheesy horror, I just finished watching "Stitches" starring comedian Ross Noble as a back from the dead clown exacting revenge...

Still trying to figure out if it was a horror movie, comedy, or some weird mix of both... Ridiculously lame, absolutely hilarious in parts, shockingly graphic in others, with the overly done 'CSI Miami' type one-liners after every kill, I'd definitely recommend it for anyone into lame-o b-grade flicks..

Davin

asimov
18-05-2013, 12:04 AM
Well now that I'm 50+...There ARE no crappy Sci/Fi movies! It's all about the degree of laughs one gets from the non realistic visuals & broken laws of nature, like hearing rocket engines in a vacuum etc. :lol:

Matt Wastell
18-05-2013, 05:02 PM
Not science fiction - Mega Shark vs. Crocosaurus - sequel to Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus - I have seen both as I could not believe they made another one - like a train wreak - must be a mocking film - no one could make this seriously!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqZlCWkH4P0

Irish stargazer
20-05-2013, 05:15 PM
Lots and lots of sci-fi zombie movies recently-mostly really silly but its hard not to watch them once as a critic:D.
Battlefield Earth (John Travolta) is definitely on my list of worst movies ever.
Wasnt all too impressed with the latest Star Trek movie-running out of ideas for plots-needs new writers before they kill the franchise.
The Telstra TBox is deadly for watching B grade sci-fi movies and paying for it. (Hmmm, haven't seen that one-OK will give it a look-only $3.99).

Baddad
20-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Hi John,:)

Zombie movies do not get more than a blink from me. I have no interest in that kind of horror movie.

It does take a premium sci-fi to have me give it any flattery. I grade them into categories. Such as awesome special effects (Avatar) and interest and credibility (Contact).:)

Zombies, no way.:P

One particular movie that I disliked is Space Cowboys. It just had so many errors in it that it lost credibility. That is possibly the one major issue that I have regarding sci-fi. The large numbers of errors and their magnitude.