PDA

View Full Version here: : Vixen Starbook S noises

LewisM
15-05-2013, 12:10 AM
I have read on Cloudy Nights that the Starbook S motors are noisey, but I assumed that was just slewing.

Well I fitted the Starbook S kit to my GPD2 tonight. The slew is FAST (even at middle rate) and whilst noisier than an HEQ5, is not objectionable.

BUT, what is troubling me is the regular sidereal rate tracking seems excessively noisey - kinda like a low coffee grinder, continuously! IS THIS NORMAL FOR THESE??? It's gonna drive me batty!

Or have I mis-adjusted something in the RA motor meshing? (it is VERY smooth and quiet by hand). Got to get to the bottom of this.

Profiler
15-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Hi Lewis

Welcome to the world of Vixen Starbook

The short answer to your question is - Yes.

My Sphinx with starbook makes an assortment of noises including the infamous "coffee grinder" when in sidereal as well as the infamous occasional "cricket" noise when slewing. These are all related to the electrics of the Starbook and do not imply that the mount is about to detonate on you irrespective of how odd they may sound.

There appears to be only one documented clear solution to eliminate these noises which unfortunatelately doesn't appear to be available for the Starbook-S which is to switch to the Nex board - which largely defeats the whole purpose and innovative idea of the new Vixen mounts with their Starbook designs.

So far all indicationsn are that all of these issues/odd noises have been eliminated in the new/current generation of Vixen mounts which use the Starbook-10

LewisM
15-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Thanks Richard.

I just updated it - it had never been updated, and showed Ver. 1.2 (2007) :) It is now Ver. 2.3 (2011) :thumbsup: VERY VERY simple update procedure - if anything, much easier than the Synscan update. Debating whether to add the new Comet database to it or now, or just let Stellarium find things (BETTER).

Ah well, guess I will learn to put up with the noise. I thought the HEQ5 was noisey with it's ultra-high pitch hiss. At least this is not as piercing, though annoying somewhat. The kit was SO simple to install (compared to the damned iOptron one I tried earlier in the night), and I do find the controller intuitive, and much less fiddling than Synscan (as it actually remembers time, date, place... this one had not been turned on for a LONG time, and it was only 3 minutes off in time, with spot on date etc).

Now to have a clear night to test it. Hopefully it's not too noisey to annoy the neighbours :D

I always have the iOptron kit to fall back to if I don't like it, but I doubt I will be needing it.

Ross G
15-05-2013, 09:20 AM
Hi Lewis,

I have a Sphinx SXW with the Starbook as well as a HEQ5Pro. It is very noisey when tracking compared to the Skywatcher, but this is normal.

The noise does seem to change depending on the version of software you have, but I have never had any problems.

Good luck with the GPD2, it's a great mount

Ross.

Kunama
15-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Lewis, there is a shop on Nicklin Way in Kawana that sell neon coloured foam earplugs !!!!!

Profiler
15-05-2013, 11:46 AM
Indeed, after a while the noises become rather endearing and act as a beacon to always let you know exactly where is your mount in the darkness:lol:

casstony
15-05-2013, 12:59 PM
I bought a used Sphinx some years back and promptly returned it to the seller for a refund - couldn't stand the noise. (I paid the freight both ways)

LewisM
17-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Update. Getting to use the Starbook S driven GPD2 tonight. Shall be interesting.

Spent about 3 hours today fine tuning the intermesh of the RA and Dec drives, and smoothing out the Dec cog a little (seemed to bind a little in one spot if fully engaged, so polished it and backed it off again - now perfect). Hoping the backlash is acceptable first try out.

Updating the software made an INCREDIBLE reduction to the noises! It is now MORE THAN ACCEPTABLE! In fact, now QUIETER than the NEQ6 I had. WOW, good going Vixen!!! Slew is slower seemingly, but I could care less, considering I am an imager, not visual, so I stay on one target a LONG time.

So, hoping I get accustomed to the odd alignment regime - well, odd compared to Synscan - and that the system is ACCURATE. It is purported to be.

Perfect night... now for the Moon to set.