PDA

View Full Version here: : Stu Parker 50 Not Out

PeterM
14-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi all,

I hope you will join in and congratulate Stu Parker on his personal 50th Supernova discovery. Infact it's 51 now as he found another one last night!
While 50 is a milestone for Stu, I can see 100 coming up much quicker than the first 50.

I still remember well his first discovery in NGC134 and what a beautiful image Stu took of that galaxy and his first SN.
Well his 50th has been just as impressive, located in NGC428, the SN is very bright at mag 12.2 and he imaged it just before dawn only 5 degrees above the horizon. Being only 50 million light years away this is getting a lot of interest from professional astronomers.

The rest of the BOSS team send you a HUGE congratulations Stu, you have inspired us and supported us to be the successful team we are and you are a top bloke even for a Kiwi (that's just a bit of fun folks).

Stu and the whole BOSS team came together from an email posted on a chat site about supernova 6 years ago. In that time we have achieved so much. We have helped advance the science behind supernova and inspired other amateurs.
Best of all we have become life long friends.

Ya dun good Stu, congratulations.

iceman
14-05-2013, 12:56 PM
Wow, incredible achievement. When do you sleep, Stu?

SkyViking
14-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Congratulations Stu that is really a remarkable achievement!

pvelez
14-05-2013, 01:18 PM
You Beauty! Keep your head down and value your wicket Stu - the ton is coming

Pete

AstralTraveller
14-05-2013, 01:21 PM
He's a modern day marvel.

Greg Bock
14-05-2013, 01:39 PM
Yes, a big congratulations Stu, the amount of hard work and effort that goes into your discoveries is second to none! And, the interest that has been shown by the professional community in the last few years has been amazing too, makes it all worthwhile.
For those readers who may be interested in seeing the latest results of Stu's effort, go to the BOSS homepage here, its only missing his last one atm, (he find them faster than he can keep the website updated) number 51 for Stu, and number 64 for BOSS in total.
http://bosssupernova.com/

Wow Stu, 51 of 63, you make the rest of us in BOSS look like amateurs!

big_dav_2001
14-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Wow! Congrats Stu, that's a great achievement!

Congrats to the rest of the BOSS crew also..

Davin

strongmanmike
14-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Yeh, pretty damn cool :thumbsup:

Mike

DavidTrap
14-05-2013, 10:48 PM
Very impressive Gents!

Didn't keep the bat raised for long, before adding to his tally!

DT

wavelandscott
15-05-2013, 05:39 AM
Wow! Congratulations on here is to the next 50...

Park123
15-05-2013, 11:31 AM
Hi All,
Well I would like to thank all of you for your generous congrats.It has certainly been a busy 3 years and 11 months. I am not used to all the attention that I and the BOSS group get so all I can say is many thanks.It is always great to hear all of your comments.First and formost I must thank my wife Lynn certinally if she didnt support what I was doing it would of never worked and putting up with me when I miss a supernova(not real good time around the house).Also for milking the cows when I have spent 24 hours up and need some sleep!!!(BTW she always milks the cows I am only a spare wheel.)
But I would like to pay a special thanks to the BOSS crew without which I would have never got my and our search programmes off the ground. Their support and friendship is unreal and I hope will last for a lifetime.
From my first email to Peter Marples to having a first meal with Greg Bock and Pat Pearl here in NZ and then meeting Colin Drescher and Brendan Downs so much has changed. The best part is to have the respect of professionals in the field that we do for a hobby is just great and very satisfying.
Thanks to the above guys for helping me with reporting, confirmation images and many other parts of supernova hunting and amateur astronomy.
I remember talking to Pete on the phone many moons ago that I was so pleased that I managed to image 10 galaxies in one night!!! Great , now on a good night I will do anything from 500-1500 images per night.
Well not sure what will happen in the future but it’s been a blast (literally).

Stu :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

h0ughy
15-05-2013, 02:05 PM
fantastic result - congratulations