PDA

View Full Version here: : Cable management hell...

toc
09-05-2013, 11:57 AM
I was wondering what people do to solve cable management with AP setups? Im constantly having to worry about the USB connection to my Autoguider, not to mention the connection from the autoguider to the mount...

I guess really long cables is a start :)

Lee
09-05-2013, 12:43 PM
A combination of spiral-cable-loom-wraps, velcro and cable ties.... and daytime testing to ensure no snags....

Hans Tucker
09-05-2013, 08:55 PM
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5609817/Main/5606287

Screwdriverone
09-05-2013, 09:17 PM
Hi Tim,

I simply use a fairly long cable to a 4 port USB hub to run my camera, guide camera, EQDirect Cable & USB focuser. I mount this and a 4 port 12V socket adaptor on the HEQ5 flat sides and velcro tie the slack into loose bundles. I have 1 x 12V 7.5A Power supply socket providing power to the mount, the camera and the dew controller through the 4 way 12V sockets and 1 x cable to the 4 port USB hub.

I have two velcro ties threaded through the lock nuts on the tube rings that guide the camera power and USB cables along the newt tube and then it all hangs loose so when I slew, it doesnt get tight or disconnect things.

Works a treat, I havent had a disaster yet (touch wood) and the simplicity of the single USB and single 12V power supply means its so easy to plug it all in and mount it on the HEQ5 with velcro sticky pads. PLUS all the cool red and blue lights make it look like a much more expensive mount......:)

You can buy a Hitecastro mount hub pro to merge all the fiddly connections into one box, but that is waaaaay more expensive than my $10 12V quad socket and my $10 USB hub and about $15 bucks for velcro bits and bobs.

Cheers

Chris

RobF
09-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Where did you get the 4 port 12V head Chris?

Screwdriverone
09-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Try Super Cheap Auto Rob, Although I think I may have got mine from a "dollar shop" as mine came with a USB charge port on it, which is handy for the mobile if it is with you in the field.

Cheers

Chris

Steffen
09-05-2013, 11:53 PM
DX is also a good source for stuff like that, e.g. http://dx.com/p/4-sockets-car-cigarette-lighter-charger-adapter-with-dual-usb-ports-black-silver-dc-12v-151790

Cheers
Steffen.

Bart
11-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Three words.

Mount Hub Pro.

http://www.hitecastro.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48:mount-hub-pro&catid=36:mount-hub-pro&Itemid=54

:D:D:D:D

Paul Haese
12-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Yep I concur. Cool unit and works with focusmax and full automation software.

toc
12-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas people! I have lots to go on with...:D

gregbradley
13-05-2013, 04:27 PM
You've got to be careful with USB Hubs. In my experience most of them are absolute junk and are totally unreliable if they ever work at all.

It seems to me the modern laptop/software has a weak point with external devices and usb hubs. They tend to fail at those points easily.

So a good quality one is certainly worth it.

Some camera setups minimise the cables. My Proline for example only requires one cable to run the camera, the filter wheel and the autoguider. Also one power cable.

Some mounts have built in power and USB hubs like the PMX. But even so these are a source of drop outs occassionally if interrupted in any way.

Greg.