PDA

View Full Version here: : Clutch slip -driving to SPSP?

The Mekon
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Am canvassing a few opinions. Have loaded up the car (Toyota Prado) ready for the SPSP. A month ago while my son was driving, the clutch slipped hauling up a hill. He had never experienced this before and, because the car was slowing, gave the engine more revs, instead of less. Got the car back with the clutch smoking! Since then it has been OK, I could induce slip if I tried, but otherwise it pulled well, even when trailering. Today, car was slipping as I accelerated on the flat. Maybe because I have two telescopes + batteries, camping gear etc all stacked in the back the extra weight made the difference. Am wondering how it will go up the Blue Mountains.

Question, should I risk it and drive the 300km to Ilford, or give the whole SPSP weekend up?

Starblazer99
08-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I think it will be good idea to get it checked out it depends on what sort of work it has done can just be it has been ridden a lot and glazed the surface or worn out or even one bolt has loosened or spring broken if it is just glazed it can slip but it’s not a common event

Shano592
08-05-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm going to say nay!

The last thing you want, is to be 30+km from everywhere, and the clutch finally letting go.

I have had it happen to me in suburbia, and that was a big enough ordeal.

Remember - the full trip is going to be closer to 600km, not just the outbound leg.

Can you get a local mechanic to do an emergency clutchectomy? Not cheap, I know ... but it sounds like it will be a necessary evil in the near future anyway.

multiweb
08-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Definitely a no. Don't drive this car. You'll stay on the side on the road in the styx before you know it.

Barrykgerdes
08-05-2013, 06:30 PM
1. Don't drive the car. Don't move the car under power any further than necessary to get to the garage and don't use your high gears
2. As the clutch reached the smoking point you will now need a complete new clutch and the flywheel machined.
Last clutch job I had cost $800 on a Festiva. I regularly did clutch jobs in the old days but now I leave it to the garage.

Barry

AstralTraveller
08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
If it's slipping on the flat how do you think it will fare uphill? People might get over illnesses by themselves but nothing mechanical ever fixes itself. Unfortunately you've let it go from bad to worse so it's likely to cost more than it would have. :sadeyes: Also I know from experience nothing is cheap on a $WD. I have to wonder why the clutch failed anyway. My old 47 series troopie never needed one in 30 years, including 5 years carrying 1.5 tonnes over some of the country's worst roads. It's either technique or a dramatic drop in build quality.

GrahamL
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
I don't know what model you have, but I know a friend whos had two prados, did mention a clutch problem with one of them.

Theres a post here that does allude to that I guess and a fix for the future <no toyota genuine parts.
http://www.justanswer.com/australia-car/2s6bs-own-2008-3l-turbo-diesel-prado-gxl-manual-18-months.html

I'm not sure its a great idea to take on a boat ramp (similar grade )
in your car right now ,, let alone a mountain !

good luck

acropolite
08-05-2013, 10:21 PM
If your clutch is slipping and your car is relatively old, it maybe caused by oil leaking from the rear seals rather than wear.

h0ughy
08-05-2013, 10:32 PM
my 2004 forester has 160,000 on the clock and the clutch was getting burny smelly and enguaging erratically, so 1600 dollasrs later it was fixed. dont risk it get it fixed. I know of a certain member of the NAS who failed to get into the dirt road leading to SPSP, they broke down at the corner. they also spent the next week at Kandos while they waited for the parts to come and be fitted.