PDA

View Full Version here: : Moved to the dark side... :)

LewisM
08-05-2013, 07:06 AM
I have patiently awaited an EQ5 GOTO Upgrade kit for well over 2 months now, after being accidentally supplied an EQ3 instead. I contacted ALL Australian retailers of these, with prices ranging from a low of $525 to a high of $800, and yet only ONE of these retailers had any in stock (naturally, the $800 retailer). Tasco initially said early May, then LATE May, now they aren't saying, so...

Got onto teleskop-express, and they too are out of the EQ5 upgrade kits (though their price is REALLY good even after delivery cheaper than every Aussie retailer), SO...

I went with the iOptron GOTO Nova kit as recommended me by a couple of guys. Even cheaper than the Synta product, it came in at $448, including delivery! OK, not sure what, if ANY warranty I will get (though believe iOptron is VERY good with it), but saving THAT much is just seductive, meaning I can spend more on other astro gear :).

My only concern is Teleskop Express says it HAS the ST4 converter, whereas iOptron-USA's page says it NEEDS the converter. Bought one just in case :)

skytry
08-05-2013, 08:37 AM
hi Lewis,
well what can I say,
it does pay too shop around, even over the water,
the thing that get's me, it does not make price sence for Australia,
their charges, why is it so!!!!!!!,
regards,
Peter.

wasyoungonce
08-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Hi Lewis. I had a Gotostar (http://www.nj-idea.com/INDEX2.htm)(GTS), an early version of Goto Nova (GTN) (http://www.ioptron.com/index.cfm?select=productdetails&phid=86e314ac-3303-4aa3-8de1-a829228e98b6), yes you need the ST4 adapto (http://www.ioptron.com/index.cfm?select=productdetails&phid=66a4bcfe-2572-461c-9051-ee883e562b3c)r as the set-up has no ST4 port. Although Telescope exppress may be selling them with the adaptor module?

Specificially the difference was the GTS was serial and the GTN USB however this was done with a silicon labs USB to serial converter inside the handset so...they are the same ...essentially. Although they have now changed display sizes since earlier versions and firmware has changed a lot. Also the GTN has a battery backup Real Time Clock ..so it remembers on re-start what time it is and lat/log you are at.

I liked the GTS, it worked well. Slew was a little noisy but that was because it was 512X sidereal! Nice handset layout and 8 line LCD readout and 32bit processor. Price is right to. I think they changed some of the original brass milled spur gear with a cheaper cast gear and there were some people not happy with this. However I think it's pretty much the same as the vixen spur gears so replacements are available all over the place.

I don't know how their ASCOM driver are going atm, they did have trouble at the start (year ago now) but they put a lot of work into this and my last ASCOM and firmware updates was really working well.

I reckon for the price...you cannot go wrong!

LewisM
08-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Brendan,

Thanks on this. yes, I believe the new kits do have cast alloy cogs - though, I do have some old Synta brass 144 tooth cogs I can try, or buy Vixen ones if need be (preferred option anyway!)

I'll see how it goes and report back. Seeing it is being sent UPS Express, it SHOULD all arrive soon.

T-E say it has an autoguider port - does not say WHICH - so to cover all bases, got the ST4 converter included, as I have waited already long enough without having to wait even longer to guide.

LewisM
08-05-2013, 05:15 PM
EXCELLENT service from T-E (preaching to the choir I know) - there was a small mistake in postage (charged me 44 Euro for the Goto kit, and THEN an additional 44 Euro postage on the ST4 converter) - they refunded me the additional 44 Euro without problem.

Alles gut!!! Dank Teleskop-Express.

GrahamL
08-05-2013, 05:28 PM
Its never to late ,,turn and walk back ,,back towards the light:P