PDA

View Full Version here: : What the heck is a virtual store?

bloodhound31
06-05-2013, 10:27 PM
I used MaximDL5 last night to cpture some images in my C drive in a folder. I've gone to the folder, only to find it empty.

This is where it should be:

C:\Program Files\Astronomy Software and drivers\ASIGN Astrophotos\LagoonNebula5May2013

The last folder named Lagoon Nebula is empty.

However, on a search it turns up, but in a file path I can't seem to locate.

Here's where a search puts it:

C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files\Astronomy Software and drivers\ASIGN Astrophotos\LagoonNebula5May2013

I get as far as C:\Users\user

What's this Users\User\AppData\Local\VirtualSto re\?

Very frustrating.

mithrandir
06-05-2013, 10:41 PM
This is Win7's workaround for normal users not having write permission to the directory trees starting at "C:\Program Files" and "C:\Program Files (x86)". Files under VirtualStore are treated as if they were in the path you can't write.

%APPDATA% and %LOCALAPPDATA% (C:\Users\User\AppData\Local will be LOCALAPPDATA) are hidden directories. You either have to turn on "show hidden files and directories" or use the /a option to dir to see them.

If you cd "C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Virtual Store\Program Files\Astronomy Software and drivers\ASIGN Astrophotos\LagoonNebula5May2013" you should get there. The quotes are required.

bloodhound31
06-05-2013, 10:48 PM
er... where do I put that? How do I turn on hidden files etc. Why am I seeing little locks on folders?

Octane
06-05-2013, 10:56 PM
http://tinyurl.com/c8bjen8

The first link explains it all.

H

bloodhound31
06-05-2013, 11:05 PM
Thanks H. I got in then copied all the files and pasted them where they are supposed to be. Now to find out why Maxim DL put them there in the first place.

mithrandir
06-05-2013, 11:14 PM
You could type it at a command prompt, or paste the path (everything after cd) into the path box in Windows Explorer.There are three flags for files and directories - "hidden", "read only" and "system". The lock means "read only".

H, it explains hidden but not VirtualStore.

bloodhound31
08-05-2013, 07:57 PM
Here we go again.

This is what happens when someone who doesn't know enough about computers follows the advice of those who may or may not.
After following instructions from a few sources, everything appears to be stuffing up.

Now MaxIM is asking me for licencing again, which I've entered and I get the error message, "Cannot access Registry. In windows Vista, you must allow elevation to occur."

But I'm not using Vista. I'm using windows 7.

I still have Virtual store issues, where MaxIm is saving files to that instead of the folder I designate.

Now I am getting locked out of thisngs and have to keep looking up all kinds of ways to allow permissions etc.

The whole user/users thing is mystifying me too.

Insert a stream of expletives as tonight is crystal clear with no moon and I thought I had it all sorted!

Now I'm sitting in a magnificent observatory with expensive equipment that doesn't work, wondering what the heck to do.

Can anyone who is a CERTIFIED EXPERT on MaxIM and Windows 7 please PM me and perhaps I can call you over the phone and you can talk me through it? I can't get hold of my usual contact who has always been excellent in solving my problems in minutes.

Ready to burn down the building and everything in it.

Baz.

g__day
18-05-2013, 08:30 AM
One thing - many programs required to be run with elevated, administrator privileges the first time they are operated - else they won't work correctly - for example Tpoint and I seem to recal the Sky and PEMPro and some of the CCDWare software being like this.

Its easy to try to see if it helps:

With your mouse point at MaximDL and right click once. A text box will appear. Fourth item from the top will the option run as Administrator. Select this and supply your administrator password. Start MaximDL, wait a few seconds then close it normally.

This should be a once off thing - unless you remove and re-install it later. From now on after this just start it normally and its behaviour should be more to the authors expectations - no registeration error messages nor conflicts with Windows. You will still have to set up where you want its working files placed - and ensure the location is visible to you! It would be better if someone with deep MaximDL knowledge assisted.

Cheers,

Matt

bloodhound31
18-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks Matt. I think I need an IT expert to look at my PC for me. It's way over my head. Lots of error messages coming up.