PDA

View Full Version here: : Using a 80mm APO Triplet as Guidescope/Widefield Imager

Manav
06-05-2013, 10:55 AM
Hi Guys,

As of last week I've had a crush on the 80mm APO Triplet; first it was TMB and then Stellarvue. Currently I have a GSO 10" RC for narrowfield imaging and would like to expand the portfolio to include a widefield guidescope/Imager (Would love to capture Rosette Nebula in its full glory).

My questions are as follows:

1. After much reading I'm tending towards the Stellarvue 80mm APO. Their website claims it performs as well as the legendary Lomo objective both visually and photographically. Are their any other scopes I should consider in this price range?

2. GSO RC has the losmandy D plates on both sides. I'd like to mount the 80mm APO on top of the GSO. Are ther special saddle to fit the them on the underside of the Losmandy plate? I've checked the guidescope rings and I'm worried there may be too much wobble.

Fire away!

Ta

Larryp
06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
I have a Stellarvue 90mm triplet, and it is optically superb as well as being very well made. Stellarvue's own 2.5" focuser is also excellent.

Manav
06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
They have a option to upgarde to feathertouch for additional 400 bucks. Sounds tempting :)

mithrandir
07-05-2013, 07:10 PM
I'd start to be concerned about having the APO that far from the axis. You'll probably need another counterweight. I did when I swapped a the standard rings and bar off from the ST80 guidescope package for a D plate and Losmandy rings. The Losmandy rings are pretty solid.

Side-by-side might be a better choice. I have an SBS bar to mount my C8 and 127ED on a G11 but haven't had time to try it yet.

astroboy
09-05-2013, 08:08 AM
I have the SV80 F6 triplet with the FT focuser great scope no false colour that I could see or see in pics , I use a Borg DG-L flatener reducer for imaging and gives excellent star images on a 5DII

Zane

Manav
10-05-2013, 09:32 AM
thanks Zane...just need to decide on the mounting system now.

Andrew - I'm not sure what you mean when you say apo far from the axis..help