PDA

View Full Version here: : Got my Orion Accufocus and UV/IR rejection filter.

Astroman
08-06-2006, 06:14 AM
Just as I thought the flexable couplers internal diameter is larger than my focusers shaft. So this means a little engineering before I can attach it. Just needs a little coupling shaft lathed up so it fits snuggly on there, no real dramas. The rest looks really straight forward, just drill and put a couple of bolts and bobs ya uncle.

Pretty damn good service, Friday arvo sent money order off, Wednesday Arvo I had it in my hand. Double cardboard boxed aswell.

Okay here is a picture of the accufocuser and my new UV/IR rejection filter.

asimov
08-06-2006, 07:32 AM
Good one Andrew.

A quick report on what you think of the accufocuser in action once fitted would be nice. How much d00d?

Just ordered my 2nd IR/UV cut....2 webcams = 2 filters!

h0ughy
08-06-2006, 09:23 AM
excellent, another uv/ir filter person! And Mike's a two times offender!!!

Remarkable how much difference they make

Astroman
08-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Price for the accufocuser was $89 from Bintel John. I will do a report once I have put it on the scope and tried it out. Initial feeling is awesome, had it in my hand and only felt a very slight vibration from the gearbox inside. It wouldnt be enough to ruin your viewing thats for sure. On fine you can hardly feel it. The gearing restricts you from turning the focuser by hand which is a little unfortunate, I would have liked to have seen some sort of clutch system straight out of the box. It is very quiet too, but I will see how the sound is on my metal tube, but with a bit of mousepad and nylon bolts I doubt noise will be a problem. It would be good if Orion designed a universal coupler for it instead of making it just for their type of focuser, I am sure they would sell a hell of alot more. I am taking my focuser to work to get the two mated up by our machinist, should be ready in a day or so.

leon
08-06-2006, 06:46 PM
Andrew,

I'm probably sticking my nose in where it should'nt be, but thats pretty
normal. :P

I have just fitted the Orion Accufocus Unit to my scope and they are great, very smoth, no noise at all, and no vibration at all.

It is unfortunate that there is no clutch arrangement, but to get around that i leave the two grub screws loose, and you can then use the hand control nobs as you always did, as the shaft just spins inside the cupling.

When you want critical focusing, use the allen key supplied and one quick turn of the grub screw and away you go, it only takes a second to do.

Works fine with me, but it's only a suggestion.

Leon

Astroman
08-06-2006, 07:32 PM
Yep no probs sticking ya nose in Leon. I thought of doing that but would'nt it be nice not having to drag a tiny little allen key out in the field.