PDA

View Full Version here: : The perfect winter gloves for astronomy

LewisM
25-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Wasout at my favourite firearms retailer the other day, and he has some US military Trigger Finger gloves - basically, these are a fully enclosed mitten, with the first finger and thumb having their own space to freely move (and fully covered. They are 10% wool/25% nylon, so durable and warm, and offer a modicum of water proofing.

I tried them out recently, and they are PERFECT for focusing, keyboard use etc, and warm.

At $3 a pair (one size fits all), hard to go wrong! If anyone wants some, I can order a batch of them.

Oh, one colour only - olive drab green :) So, it may clash with your observing wardrobe, if'n you are that way inclined :) :D

ZeroID
26-04-2013, 08:17 AM
I have a similar pair of gloves, finger tips missing. Enough to keep your hands warm but fingers free to operate gear. Used to be invaluable out chasing rally cars on a cold ( freezing !! ) morning with the camera.
I must check the local military opshop for some new ones, mine are pretty old now.

pmrid
26-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Count me in for a couple of pairs. I just priced some gunner's gloves on my favourite " all-things-that-go-bang" site in the states (Cabelas) where the discount prices don't go much below US$20. So $3 a pair sounds pretty darned good.

Peter

LewisM
26-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Peter, Will order a bunch.

These are not fingerless- they are fully covering. The exception in the thumb and forefinger are like regular gloves, whilst the remainder are mitten style (not individual covering)

Gem
27-04-2013, 06:00 AM
I like to use my old RAAF flying gloves. They too were designed for enabling finger use while covering the hands. A fraction slippery is my only complaint.

LewisM
27-04-2013, 08:59 AM
These are them. Note mitten for 3 fingers, gloves for forefinger and thumb. They are shooter / rifleman gloves :)

GeoffW1
27-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Hi,

Please count me in for a pair when available.

Cheers

Capricorn1(Tom)
27-04-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi Lewis ----I was a member of metro pistol club 35 years ago. Another life time---I would not be making a comment on any association of fire arm/membership on the forum---lot of bad guys out there---know of some horror stories . Advise only---Cheers Tom:D

LewisM
29-04-2013, 07:16 AM
I got a total of 8 pair. I will gt a post quote from the PO today, and then we can take it from there guys.

I also have 5 pair of long wool socks too (Czech Army). Green as well. $3 a pair also.

mikerr
29-04-2013, 07:25 AM
Lewis, if these items are readily available could you post or PM a link to the supplier as I would like to get a couple of pairs?

Rgds

Michael.

taminga16
29-04-2013, 07:28 AM
What the heck is this provocative bull***t?
Greg.

LewisM
29-04-2013, 10:04 AM
I don't understand it fully either?

Bit like saying don't advertise you are an astronomer, as everyone knows telescopes etc are worth a lot, therefore they will ransack you.

Considering my gun safe is technically a Bank Vault, that requires a forklift to move it (and even then, with lots of counterweights!) and is STILL bolted to the concrete with 8 x 1" dia. dyna bolts, it's not going anywhere. Plus, the layers in between the 5 mm sheet iron walls, is sure going to stop them using an oxytorch too :)

Wouldn't mind seeing them try - it'd cause them extreme discomofort, if the alarm didn't deafen them (and the neighbours)

LewisM
29-04-2013, 10:05 AM
I got all he had left, and no resupply. You wouldn't get them under $3 a pair anyways - that was BELOW cost price just to get rid of them all.

mikerr
29-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Lewis, I wasn't concerned about the price. I thought it might save you a hassle having to on forward them if others could just order direct.

Rgds

Michael.