PDA

View Full Version here: : MaxPoint auto mapping error

naskies
23-04-2013, 10:30 PM
I downloaded the MaxPoint trial recently and have been trying to give the auto mapping feature a go with Maxim DL, but have come across this weird error.

MaxPoint successfully starts an exposure in Maxim DL, but at the end of the exposure (when the image would normally open in a new window in Maxim) I get the following error:

"Error Number: 65535
Source: MaxIm DL 5
Could Not Save File"

I can't for the life of me work out what the problem is. Maxim DL otherwise works fine for image capture and saving images, and I've double checked the temporary files folder is valid and read/write accessible.

Has anyone else come across this error message before?

g__day
24-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Is this a program that you have to run with elevated privilidges (run as administrator) the first time you use it? I recall The Sky and Tpoint and some other astronomy programs required that first time around.

May not solve your problem but it is a simple thing to try first! Under Windows - right click the mouse on your program and select run as administrator.

naskies
24-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestion - but I've already tried it with no luck :( I'll try posting on the MaximDL Yahoo Groups page too.

naskies
25-04-2013, 07:10 PM
A-ha!

The problem turned out to be that MaxPoint didn't have the permissions access the C:\Program Files\Diffraction Limited\MaxPoint directory (even when I ran it as the Administrator user). I just added my user's account into that directory's permissions list and propagated it down the tree, so it now works. (Thanks for your suggestion which was on the right track anyhow.)

The auto mapping feature is now doing its thing - *much* easier than manually slewing / plate solving / syncing each point by hand! :)

naskies
26-04-2013, 08:26 PM
After some slow starts trying to figure out why plate solving wouldn't work properly during auto mapping (I needed to clear out the existing N-point model in EQMOD as it was interfering), MaxPoint's auto mapping worked brilliantly :)

The pic shows the results of the fully automated calibration run after 104 observations over 20-30 mins. Red crosses indicate locations where MaxPoint was able to slew to a location, take an exposure, plate solve it, and add it to the pointing model.

A few quick test slews showed that most targets landed within ~ 1 arc min of centre, give or take. Not too shabby!

g__day
10-11-2015, 11:36 PM
This was a useful post! After 4 years I decided to do the same and got the same error - and of course the fix was documented here and google found it after I had totally forgotten :)

Great karma!