PDA

View Full Version here: : Best place to buy flocking from?

gregbradley
20-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Any suggestions about the best place to get flocking from?

Greg.

noeyedeer
20-04-2013, 02:52 PM
You've probably seen this site in your search, but it recommends 2 sellers in the states. Prices are ok, hopefully someone knows of a local company.

http://washedoutastronomy.com/content/flock-it

Matt

RobF
20-04-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks Matt. Nice read.

MrB
20-04-2013, 03:58 PM
I bought the Protostar flocking direct.
The cut sheets (28x20") can be ordered directly without issue from their website, however if you wish to purchase by the inch off the roll (50" wide) the online ordering is not set-up for Australian postage options. I found out the hard way.
Best to contact Bryan Greer (bgreer at fpi-protostar dot com) and request a quote for the 50" wide roll.

Tandum
20-04-2013, 04:18 PM
I recently put protostar flockboard in this 12" newt. Great stuff and really easy to install.
Roll it up,stick it down the tube and it springs open and stays in place.

Paul Haese
20-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Greg go to Spotlight and get a roll of black adhesive backed felt. Works a treat and is cheap. I have had it on my C14 tube since 2007. The tube has spent weeks outside in hot and cold weather and it has never once lifted. The same product I used on my RC8 to flock the baffle tube and that worked really well.

gbeal
20-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Agree with all the above, I've used the stick on ProtoStar stuff, as well as Spotlight's black felt. There always used to be a bit of 'rubbish" that fell from the felt, but a damp cloth after it is installed seemed to remove most or all of that.
Depending on what you are flocking of course, in my 10" newt I cut about a dozen thin annular rings of formica, and glued them into place, plus a selection of part-way round ones across from the focuser. Overkill? Maybe, but the views certainly look good.
Gary