PDA

View Full Version here: : Breaking News: Fertilizer plant in Texas explodes

04Stefan07
18-04-2013, 02:58 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/04/17/us/texas-explosion/index.html
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/explosion-at-fertiliser-plant-near-waco-texas/story-fnd134gw-1226623333230

I can't believe what has been happening over the past few days.

Thoughts and prayers are with them.

leon
18-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Yea Stefan, just read that, they sure are getting a flogging over the last couple of days, very sad news, again !!

leon

Octane
18-04-2013, 04:04 PM
So are the poor innocent Iraqi's dying from US drone strikes and the helpless who have died in Iran and Pakistan owing to the earthquake.

H

AstralTraveller
18-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Plus the 50 killed by bomb blasts in Iraq the same day 3 were killed in Boston. :(

TrevorW
18-04-2013, 07:52 PM
Terrorism in any form where innocent apolitical people going about their ordinary day to day business are injured or killed sickens me.

If the US kills perpetrators with drones, then so be it , innocents are not their intended target, although sadly some are killed in the process but this also often happens when terrorists target US military.

It's easy to criticize what they do in their war on global terrorism when you or someone close to you has not been affected by the results of terrorism.

So far in Australia we have been relatively lucky although things could change in the blink of an eye. Lets just hope they don't :thumbsup:

Stardrifter_WA
18-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Sorry Trevor, to say we have been relatively lucky, is an an insensitive and an uninformed comment. There are quite a few in Australia who would disagree with such a statement. :sadeyes:

There have been quite a few terror attacks in Australia, mostly home grown, although three were against foreign embassies in 72, 82 and 86, with the Hilton bombing of CHOGM in 78. There have been quite a few bomb attacks aimed at police, with a number of police lives claimed and considerable property damage; obviously criminal elements, but nevertheless, they are terror attacks. Also, I was in Collie in 78 when someone blew up the Collie Hotel. That was scary, I can tell you.

Not to mention all the Australians that were killed in Bali. I know the father of one of the victims and I am sure he doesn't think we have been lucky. So, I don't see how we have been 'relatively' lucky. :mad2:

TrevorW
18-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Peter I was referring to on home soil and foreign terrorism where Australians where directly targeted. I'm quite aware of terrorism that has affected Australians over time but statiscally we have been relatively lucky. Regards

http://www.visionofhumanity.org/globalterrorismindex/#/2011/OVER/

England is rated 28th 2011 so I'd consider that we are relatively lucky at 64th place

big_dav_2001
18-04-2013, 10:41 PM
It's terrible news about the attacks and explosions, thoughts are with all those affected, I hope those responsible are found and brought to justice soon...

Interestingly though, just read that this week also holds the anniversaries of the Virginia Tech massacre (16/4/2007), Columbine massacre (20/4/1999), Oklahoma City bombing (19/4/1995), and the Bay of Pigs invasion (17/4/1961)... (I'm no conspirancy theorist or anything, just an interesting coincidence)

Davin

Stardrifter_WA
18-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Sorry Trevor, I took your comment literally, as you didn't clarify it as foreign terrorism on Australian soil. From your comment I inferred that you meant Australia hadn't experience terrorism yet. Terrorism is terrorism, whether it is foreign or domestic.

Statistically, you may be correct, but I bet those statistics are cold comfort to those that have lost loved ones in the Bali bombings and indeed the Australians who were killed in 9/11. Statistically, we may rank 64th, but that isn't that wonderful when you consider how many countries are below us.

Also, there have been many plots uncovered in Australia, but due to our counter terrorism forces, they haven't come to fruition, thankfully. Lets hope it stays that way. We may be low on the index, but we are far from immune.

Cheers Peter

noeyedeer
19-04-2013, 01:15 AM
maybe they needed more no smoking signs at that plant. ..... sorry had to lighten the mood. :(

kinda reminds me of Under Siege 2 where they use that satellite to blow up that Chinese fertilizer plant with a pmb ... maybe it was North Korean influenced ....
either way it sucks that workplace things happens ... its the nature of the job ... specially for the response teams.