PDA

View Full Version here: : Blackhawk Pilot

Baddad
16-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Hi Everyone,:)

Some time ago I initiated a few threads regarding my son in Afghanistan.
There was the "Blackhawk down" incident, the "combat flag" and the "no good pilots" threads.:)

That's all past now and my son, Andrew is now back in Germany, safe.:)

He informed me that he flew some 90 combat missions. It seems that the USA may soon pull out of the "Sandbox" and the unit is unlikely to do a repeat tour in the Sandbox. But now North Korea is looming.:mad2::sadeyes:

This is simply an update for those of you who may have been concerned as to what has proceeded from the earlier events. Also to thank all of you for your well wishes and comments. They were mostly welcome and some entertaining.:lol:

Cheers:)

Larryp
16-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Glad to hear your son is out of Afghanistan and safe, Marty.:)

Ric
16-04-2013, 12:13 PM
That's good to hear he is safe and well Marty.

No doubt he's having some well earned R&R.

rat156
16-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Hi Marty

Greetings from the dustbowl. Good to hear that your son has returned to Germany safe and sound.

I've been watching "Inside Combat Rescue", a History channel docco on the "PJs", the guys who chopper out to rescue injured people in AFG. It's really graphic, but shows the dedication of the teams and the skills of the pilots, I'm constantly amazed at the places they can put a chopper down in amongst the "brown out".

If you're into that sort of thing I'm sure you can download it from somewhere (possibly even legally), but be warned, they don't pull many punches, there's a lot of blood and missing limbs, and for a change on telly it's real.

Cheers
Stuart

Astro_Bot
16-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Good to hear your son is out of the AO in one piece. I hope his adjustment back to the "real world" is swift an trouble-free (although I've not heard of pilots having many issues).

Edit: After seeing Stuart's post ... As far as TV series go in general, the Ross Kemp Afghanistan series (3 of them) are great along with Chris Terrill's series on the Royal Marines in Afghanistan - all highly recommended.

Baddad
16-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Thanks Laurie and Ric.:) Kind thoughts.

I have been watching those series and documentaries, Astro Bot and rat 156. I have Foxtell and yes I agree the reality is striking. However I served 20 years in the Australian Army. I think I've softened up a bit since discharge. I tend to turn away during the bleeding bits.
I am an electronics tech. (Even though I can't spell it, see avatar) LOL :lol:That was my trade while in the service.

Cheers:)

Stardrifter_WA
16-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Good to hear that you son is safe and sound Marty. :)

Cheers Peter