PDA

View Full Version here: : Best way to deal with the mosquitoes?

04Stefan07
12-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Just had a session outside with my new Skywatcher. Finally after reading and watching tutorials on how to use an EQ mount I think I finally got it! (well at least have a better idea than I did before).

Anyway my girlfriend was over and she saw Saturn for the first time and enjoyed it very much. Since it was a clear night I grabbed my 130SLT and astro gear and was all hooked up to get some video. Came across some problems saving video files which I need to work out now. Not only that was frustrating but the mossies would not stop!

I am seriously considering buying one of them zappers. Will it solve my whole mossie problem or is there a better solution out there?

Thanks!

gary
13-04-2013, 12:13 AM
Female mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and not UV light, so zappers
have been shown in several studies to be ineffective.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bug_zapper

The usual advice applies. Remove sources of standing water, shower before
observing, light colored clothing, long sleeves and pants, repellent with DEET.

But there is certainly no silver bullet solution though silver bullets would certainly do the job
if you could afford them. :)

Best Regards

Gary

eddiedunlop
14-04-2013, 09:40 PM
ditto Gary's comments. The best solution is to wear repellent.
Also, zappers are ecologically harmful as they kill non-target species such as moths and lacewings.

For more info. on mozzie control check out the following:
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDoQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wyong.nsw.gov. au%2FDownloadDocument.ashx%3FDocume ntID%3D500&ei=g5BqUcDTDeaYiAeZrYFo&usg=AFQjCNHeySlxLaMWIczzkzyQVIHl-O2axw&sig2=DIpDLG62Wz4TLINB-VG_VA

Terry B
14-04-2013, 09:55 PM
One of these.:D

bloodhound31
14-04-2013, 10:10 PM
WD40 and a lighter.

asimov
14-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Gets my vote :rofl::thumbsup:

carlstronomy
14-04-2013, 11:03 PM
With the amount of the blighters here in Brisbane after 3 months of rain I would need a flame thrower set up in the back yard... WD40 on tap:eyepop:

asimov
14-04-2013, 11:11 PM
I was even swatting the mongrels out of the air today while I was Solar imaging for Pete's sake! :eyepop::screwy:

Hand me that flame thrower! :lol::help:

04Stefan07
15-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the tips!

I was even considering one of these...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_pPsuc9rvU4Y/S-nZaYfhbnI/AAAAAAAABlg/VqXK-eqXd_4/s1600/flamethrower.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

carlstronomy
15-04-2013, 12:37 AM
Sorry, they are only available "in America":rofl:

LewisM
15-04-2013, 07:32 AM
I have been Vitamin B12 deficient my whole life. As such, I get regular B12 shots and take B12 supplements. I NEVER have a single solitary issue with mosquitoes since starting on B12, nor midges/sandflies. They won't come near me.

Some say it's an old folk-remedy, but it works in my experience, not for want of trying though. I went off the B12 when my doctor said my levels were near normal. I noticed mosquitoes liked me again, so I have been back on the B12 now for 2 weeks, and no problems.

simmo
15-04-2013, 10:13 AM
Perhaps a warning on this stuff. In my first post on here I was warned this stuff can damage your optics. If you do a little research it is a solvent that disolves plastics and synthetic materials so be careful with that stuff.

Cheers
Simmo ;)

LewisM
15-04-2013, 10:23 AM
You won't see me putting DEET on myself or my family, EVER. There are other ways to deal with mosquitoes. There were reasons why US soldiers used to put the stuff heavily on their feet to try to get medical evac out of situations in Korea and Vietnam (induce oedema). The mechanisms DEET does to the CNS and especially neurotransmitters (namely acetylcholine) is "interesting". Everything in moderation, yes, but if I don't have to use something, I WON'T.

And yes, it IS a solvent, so you don't want it near anything painted or coated.

casstony
15-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I use roll-on Rid (DEET) on clothing and a cap, or a product called Thermacell which emits low levels of Allethrin into the air. Thermacell works best in light/no wind conditions.

Mosquitos can carry a variety of nasty infectious diseases even in southern Australia so it's well worth protecting against being bitten.

MattT
15-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Rid is the only stuff that works for me too....maybe a mozzie coil or two? Never tried it myself though.

graham.hobart
15-04-2013, 11:24 AM
I had 40% DEET on my hands then I handled my CGEM hand box- and a plastic lawn chair. Put me off using it after that.
I use a citronella based "natural repellant now" doesn't work as good but then I reckon a few bites is a good trade off for a non toxic solution.
Standing water is important- they will be local mozzies.
graham

LewisM
15-04-2013, 11:37 AM
They RARELY bother me, but, if I have one that buzzes around (not biting), I will usually set up the fan outside (seeing I observe from home). They aren't very good flying in a relative 100 knot crosswind :)

When I have used repellent, it's citronella. I cannot stand the feel or smell of DEET stuff myself, another reason I refuse to use it (besides potential synaptic impairment) :)

mikerr
15-04-2013, 11:57 AM
I have been using "OFF!" which is Picaridin based for two seasons now. The mozzies will fly up to me and hover, then shoot through. Not greasy and an acceptable smell.

There is an interesting article by the ADF at this URL.......

http://www.defence.gov.au/health/infocentre/journals/ADFHJ_sep02/ADFHealth_3_2_58-63.pdf

Michael.

lacad01
15-04-2013, 12:22 PM
I can hire myself out as a mozzie heatsink, I swear I seem to attract all the mozzies wherever I go :rolleyes:

Terry B
15-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Mossies are rarely a problem here. They don't seem to like when it is below about 10deg C and this is the norm for me for 9months of the year. You guys just need to move to the highlands.;)

AstralTraveller
15-04-2013, 03:27 PM
My wife already does that for me - and she's better looking than you (at least in my opinion). :)

Steffen
15-04-2013, 04:45 PM
I found this to be effective, too. Two Berocca tablets in a glass of water a couple of hours before going outside seems to keep the mozzies away.

And if you're not going out to star gaze but for a summer party then Berocca will greatly help to curb the after-effects of inebriation as well :)

Cheers
Steffen.

LewisM
15-04-2013, 07:55 PM
The ADF paper on mosquito repellents is VERY interesting, and does supposedly rule out Vitamin B1 use as having no basis in medical fact. I was always told B12, so not sure - B12 shots and supplements are a requirement for my life anyway, so if indeed it IS a side benefit, then great.

Wife is also Mozzie immune, as is our daughter. My father on the other hand is a magnet for them - especially sandflies - and he breaks out all over and requires the use of anti-histamines!

jjjnettie
16-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Set up a Pedestal Fan, or 2 next to where you observe and blow the beggars away.
You'll still need to put repellant on your feet I've found.

A23649
16-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Yeah I hate them, being highly allergic to them as well as a heatsink. The best solution I have found is to cover every single square centimetre of your body with clothing thick enough so they can't bite through it. It unfortunatly means on hot summer nights I overheat but this is a lot better than being bitten, for me at least.

sil
18-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Long clothing and aerogard spray does the trick for me. Also the mortein lantern thingy seems to work too. I've also got a thermacell but haven't tried it yet, wanted to use up the mortein refills first.

04Stefan07
18-04-2013, 02:38 PM
So many options to choose from!

It's a shame mozzies ruin a good night out :(