PDA

View Full Version here: : Meade 12 inch ACF focuser overhall triumph :)

toc
11-04-2013, 12:56 AM
Its been a good few days. Fixed my meade electronic focuser, and also fixed the standard focuser!

Since getting my Meade, I always had a suspicion that something was not quite right with its operation. Huge mirror flop, and a tendency to focus creep - often dramatically.

I was so depressed with it that I decided to take it apart to see if I could at least fix the focus creep. Turns out that the focus knob was not screwed down correctly. This unfortunately ment that the grub screws had done some damage to the focuser thread :( I took the entire focus mechanism apart (making sure the tube was tilted upward to prevent the mirror from sliding down too far) and used a file to repair the thread.

Hey presto! I re-assembled the focuser, and screwed the focuser knob back down, this time ALL the way.

I tested my new supped up focus setup, and wow, what can I say? Awesome improvement! The JMI allows very fine control. Its going to make planetary focusing a real joy, thats for sure. More satisfying was that there is no mirror creep. Still a bit of mirror flop, but thats part of the SCT experience :)

Joshua Bunn
11-04-2013, 01:05 AM
Nice one Tim, great when it all works hey.

mozzie
11-04-2013, 05:58 AM
excellent news,enjoy the scope the acf have nice optics......

ChrisM
12-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Tim, that's good that you've fixed it. I found with my Meade ACF that the 3 mounting screws could not be done up as firmly as I would have liked due to the fact that by doing so, the focus mechanism tended to bind up in part of its range. So, until I replaced the unit with a Feathertouch focuser, I just put up with excessive backlash and the associated mirror flop. No such problems any more though.
Chris

toc
12-04-2013, 06:37 PM
Interesting! I thought that the feathertouch was only available for Celestron scopes? Good to know. Where did you get it from?

ChrisM
14-04-2013, 09:49 AM
Tim, FT focusers fit a wide range of scopes, including Meade. They are not cheap, but should last a life time.

Here are the details of the focuser and adapter that I ordered:
FTF2015BCR-RP 2" Rack & Pinion Feather Touch Focuser with a
1.5 DTT, brake, compression ring

A20-3003-6 RP Adapter 2.0" Dia 2.125" L - Inner Thread
3.25x16tpi (fits Meade 10/12, 14", RCX400,
LX200R 'Large Thread' Telescopes)

I bought mine through Starlight Instruments.

Chris