PDA

View Full Version here: : Fitting new parts on an older refractor...

LewisM
10-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I ordered a pinion, metal focuser knob and the Vixen dual-speed knob from Steve Massey a while ago to retrofit onto my FL102S for fine focus control. The items arrived today.

The pinion is the same ratio/mesh, so drops straight in. Steve also included a new spring plate, but after comparing the old and the new, there is NO difference except in colour, so I fitted the old hammertone green back on it. I then installed the cast-aluminium focuser knob - these items came from an AX103S I believe. I then fitted the dual speed knob, which is an absolute cinche! It seems Vixen has redesigned them since the previous type I had (which was a little fiddly with tiny grub screws hidden under BIGGER grub screws etc) - I had it on and tuned in about 1 minute.

The dual speed adaptor works a treat. As the Vixen instructions state, the single speed tension IS increased when this is fitted, so it SEEMS stiffer to rotate - a good thing in some ways. The fine focus is sheer velvet - MANY times better than any Moonlite dual speed I ever used (and the single stage feels about the same though).

So, the old FL102S now has a precision focuser on it, in my opinion nicer than a Moonlite by a good margin (and cheaper) This Vixen always came to focus PRECISELY - I am just hoping for that TOUCH finer sharpness :) Oh, and since I ALWAYS am seated LEFT of the telescope, I put the dual speed on the LEFT side (as opposed to usual orientation), so I didn't have to reach ACROSS the telescope :D

Yes, I saved the old pinion safely in a box with other "Do not sell/discard" items :). The stainless steel custom knobs I had made for the old pinion now live on a VC200L.

Tinderboxsky
10-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Hi Lewis,

Good to hear and I agree the Vixen two speed upgrade is a gem. I fitted one to my Vixen ED103S and the fine focus is just so smooth. Yes, the single speed tension increases, but I don't notice it now.

As an FL102 fan, have you come across these reports from Company 7 (http://www.company7.com/vixen/telescopes/vixen102fl.html)? They make interesting reading and just goes to show that your rave comments are spot on.

Cheers

Steve

LewisM
11-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Steve,

Yes, have read it before, thanks.

There is another comparison on Cloudy Nights that shows the FL102S in comparison to other similar refractors, Takahashi included. The reported Strehl is 0.985 for the FL102S. I have since been told by 2 reliable sources that since my FL102S is an AD-VIX badged version, meaning for Japanese internal use only (non-export) and HAND SELECTED, that the Strehl will actually be even better again. I have no doubts about it, and will maybe one day have it tested, just out of curiosity.