PDA

View Full Version here: : LASER Pointers...Again

Hans Tucker
10-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Apologies in advanced as I know this topic has been done to death on IIS.

What are the rules to owning a 5mW LASER Pointer in Queensland, in particular can a traveller bring one back through customs?

Geoff45
10-04-2013, 06:25 PM
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resources/Internet/programs/weaponsLicensing/documents/2%20%20Laser%20Pointers%20V2.pdf

Hans Tucker
10-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Thanks Geoff

Peter Ward
10-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Ah... one of my favorite chestnuts...

Sadly, these coherent light producing flashlights have been elevated to "firearms" status by legislators that frankly don't have a clue.

..and despite over 20,000 (maybe more) laser tags of various aircraft to date, there has not been a single safety consequence....in fact I have struggled to find a single laser injury/safety consequence. Period.

I'd also imagine, if a 1.9 metre, 130 Kg Hell's-Angel bikie was just about to rearrange your anatomy, he'd back off in an instant, realizing you were packing a 20 mW LASER!

:rolleyes:

Merlin66
11-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Hans,
Just be grateful you're not trying to bring it in through Tullamarine!
They are illegal (above 1mW) in Victoria.

Barrykgerdes
11-04-2013, 08:28 AM
I am interested in getting one of those lasers that were shown in the news yesterday. The ones that can shoot down a plane. Do you think I could get it through customs?:rofl:

Barry

Ric
11-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Watch out Barry, you'll be getting louds knocks on the door saying things like that.

:D :scared3: :D

mithrandir
11-04-2013, 04:33 PM
Know anyone in defense who could get one "for evaluation"? They shouldn't have a problem with customs.

Hans Tucker
11-04-2013, 10:59 PM
I asked the question on behalf of another person (resident of QLD) whom posed the question to me. I had no answer and I knew someone on IIS would.

I knew there were strict rules in Victoria but I didn't know they were illegal. I had thought of buying one, a 5mW, but I guess I can forget about it now.

MichaelSW
13-04-2013, 06:14 PM
Hans,

For private importation of 20 mW Max Output laser pointer in Queensland, the Customs and Border Protection guidelines are set out at http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/ImportingWeaponsSpecifiedPersonTest .pdf The "Test" you need to satisfy if Customs is to grant permission is the Specified Persons Test. It's all in the above guidelines.

The application to Import is made using Form B710 at http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/B710AUG2009.pdf

And thanks to Geoff for the link to QPOL information sheet.

Shano592
13-04-2013, 08:50 PM
I'll have a wander around some of the electronics markets tomorrow.

I am in China now ... I think you would probably be wanting say, a 500W diode of doom?

You may need a portable generator to power the thing though ... and don't even ask me about a lens!! Maybe something out of an Ethos ...

</jk>

Merlin66
13-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I wish life was so simple....
See my previous thread re-importing lasers into Vic.
You need a Deputy Commissioner of Police permit and pay $170........

doppler
13-04-2013, 10:41 PM
Two different sets of laws regarding lasers are involved here. Federal (customs) and state (police) and a definition (laser and laser pointer).

A laser "pointer" is a restricted import item (customs), all other laser items ie laser light projectors, modules and parts are not restricted. You can legally import the parts needed to assemble a pointer (in separate packages of course). Your state law might say its illegal to put the parts together though.

State laws do vary, but most do allow members of registered astronomy clubs to posses and use low powered laser pointers.

Then comes the definition. A mains powered laser does not come under the definition of "hand held" and is perfectly legal anywhere in Australia. Most laser modules run on 3-5 volts so you can power them of a mobile phone charger and fix them to a scope to use as a finder scope.

Rick

Merlin66
14-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Rick,
I repeat:
Customs in Victoria will not allow the importation of hand held laser pointers (>1mW) without Police authority.
Membership of the ASV etc carries no weight in Victoria.
I can't comment on your other suugestions.

MichaelSW
14-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Further to Ken's warning about Laser Pointers being imported into Victoria and requirement for Vic Pol Permit:-

Before you start down the private importation process, contact the FIREARMS & WEAPONS Section of Australian Customs and Border Protection in Canberra. These are NOT the people you will talk to when you phone the Customs Information Line 1300 363263. Ask to be put through to the Firearms and Weapons Section, and ask them what specific Police requirements, if any, need to be met by you for your particular State.

I am currently going through the process for a Queensland Importation, and as mentioned in earlier post:-

For private importation of 20 mW Max Output laser pointer in Queensland, the Customs and Border Protection guidelines are set out at http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...PersonTest.pdf The "Test" you need to satisfy if Customs is to grant permission is the Specified Persons Test. It's all in the above guidelines.

The application to Import is made using Form B710 at http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/re...710AUG2009.pdf

caveastola
16-04-2013, 12:17 AM
If you don't want to do the paper work it is legal to import the parts ie laser module and then make your own housing or import a housing to suit the module. It is only illegal to import ready made laser pointers over 1 mw.

Its up to your local state laws about the legalites of posessing the finished product.

If you fix and wire a laser module to your scope tracking power supply it does not come under the classifiication of a laser pointer (it is not hand held) and is therefor not restricted by law anywhere in Australia.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp read the bottom of the page about laser modules.

Because a laser beam is less than 1 mm thick it is only visible for a few meters at 90 degrees, bright when standing and viewing from behind but brightest when the beam is pointing towards you. So if you dont point it at people or planes only you and your friends will enjoy the beam and no one else will ever know that you have one.

cheers cav

mental4astro
16-04-2013, 08:38 AM
This is one reason for me joining an Astro club. Being a member, you are permitted to have and use a laser pointer (as per the NSW police legislation in the link provided below). It's my insurance policy when I'm doing a star viewing for the public and someone declares "HEY! You're not allowed to have one of those, you freaking terrorist!" (has happened, :( )

Ric
16-04-2013, 09:08 AM
That's really sad to hear Alex.

Some people just have the IQ of a worn thong.

mithrandir
16-04-2013, 09:34 AM
Don't insult worn thongs Ric. :P

ChrisM
16-04-2013, 09:59 AM
Just to confirm, in Victoria: "Control of Weapons Regulations 2011 - SCHEDULE 3

PROHIBITED WEAPONS

33. A hand-held battery-operated article commonly known as a "laser pointer" designed or adapted to emit a laser beam with an accessible emission limit of greater than 1 mW."

I would have no hesitation using one with a few tens of mW output, provided that it was bolted to my scope and powered not from within itself - that is, it couldn't be readily demounted and used by hand. As an added safety precaution, I would install a key switch in series with the laser on/off switch.

Larryp
16-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Sad state of affairs, but I guess these people only know what they see and read in the media.:(

toc
16-04-2013, 01:20 PM
So would something like this be good enough?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3117&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=976#1

BlackWidow
16-04-2013, 01:40 PM
I think I may have posted this a while back, but this is how I got around the laws stopping you purchasing higher wattage Green Lasers on E-Bay...

I purchase a really cheap laser pointer with the larger penlike housing rather than the very thin ones often used in red lasers.. Mine was a red laser but had the fat pen sytle housing.

I then searched E-Bay for 50mw green laser inserts and purchased a couple of these at very very cheap prices as you will find. The items arrived in Australia as they do not operate and are considered a spare part or Electronic part.

I then removed the laser insert from my cheap laser pen and replaced it with the 50mw insert I purchased from E-Bay... Now I have a nice bright laser and as a member of the ASSA I am able to use it in SA. Bit of messing around, but I ended up with a couple of them for around $45 a unit. I have had them for a while now and use one of them for scope alignment.. No more bending the back to look through a telrad...

Hope my comments assist others..

Mardy

Merlin66
16-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Hmmmm
I think "mods" to what is effectively a "hand held laser pointer" would/ could cause you some grief in Victoria.
Why not just abide by the laws of the land?????

Adelain
16-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Hey thanks for the tip Mardy, I will be having a go at that !!!!

Nikolas
16-04-2013, 09:39 PM
If the laws of the land are a stupid kneejerk reaction because of the actions of a few morons then it is our right to not respect them and fight to change them. Otherwise the nanny state mentality is alive and well

Peter Ward
16-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Ditto.

Just because it's legislated doesn't make it any less asinine.

Morepower
17-04-2013, 07:19 AM
It seems 20mW "laser sights" are not illegal. I have a number of guns and have ordered and received 3 x 20mW 532nm laser sights from overseas. They are also available from gun shops and from online gun shops. See link for a sample http://dx.com/p/lxgd-green-laser-sight-for-guns-jg-10a-5027

doppler
17-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I think that you were lucky with that one, laser sights legal to posses (10mw max in QLD) but they are a restricted import (you probably need a import permit) as per the customs web site.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp (http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page4372.asp) read the chart at the the bottom of the page about gun sights.

Customs wont fine you for a first offence (you will get a warning letter) but they will keep the items and destroy them.

Shano592
17-04-2013, 06:34 PM
You can get 110mW diodes out of old computer DVD-RW drives. Unfortunately, they are red in colour, not green. Their range is significant, however. I can see mine on warehouse walls over 200m away, in the middle of the day. Not too shabby.

Blu-ray drives for the XBox360 have purple diodes in them, also around 100mW.

They certainly look nice though! Very unique colour, but their visual range is limited.

One day I will finish these builds, and put up a how-to guide. Maybe later this year. I really like the idea of an inline serial key, to prevent accidental triggering. I think I will incorporate (steal) this idea.

Morepower
17-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Mmmm...just did a quick search and couldn't find anything from gun shops here. I got them some time ago and did find them(20mW green) lasers online at at least 2 gun shops, at the time, in Aus. Now all I found were low power red one's.

doppler
17-04-2013, 07:40 PM
If you really want a laser (with no questions asked or forms filled out) go to this web site http://odicforce.com/ pick your module out (get one with a spring contact at the rear) and in a separate order get a laser "host" (the host will come with assembly instructions) This is a UK site so the exchange rate is not as good as china but the parts will get here a lot faster (1-2 weeks) This is all legal as far as imports go, when you assemble the parts you are under your local state laws......but no one will know that you have one.

Stardrifter_WA
17-04-2013, 07:42 PM
Midland Gunmart, in Midland, Western Australia, sell green light lasers weapon sights, but now only sell 5mw. They are the Arctic Fox brand. They are also available from Arctic Fox distributor in Malaga, Western Australia.

Cheers Peter

Morepower
18-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Peter I have the same one you have, out of curiosity what did it cost you ?

On another note you can get a 10mW green module from Jaycar(http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=ST3117), though it's pretty expensive for what it is.

Stardrifter_WA
18-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi Craig,

I cannot immediately find the receipt, but, I think is was $165. However, tney are now about $240 for the kit. These may seem expensive, but I like that fact that the beam is easily aligned by the two outside adjust screw, just in any rifle scope.

Cheers Peter