PDA

View Full Version here: : Why do people ask "why you are selling"?

UniPol
01-04-2013, 07:16 PM
"Why do people ask "why you are selling"?" in the Icetrade ads ??? I like to be polite however I can think of many things I would really like to say.

Kunama
01-04-2013, 07:21 PM
One would think it is obvious, in my case I sell things because my wife tells me to get rid of things and I'm too frightened to say no.
Just today I sold my beloved BMW 635CSi because my wife does not share my need to have everything.

(I did buy a Honda CBR on the spur of the moment on my way back from delivering the BMW to Canberra today ............ I guess I will be sleeping with the dog tonight)

FlashDrive
01-04-2013, 07:25 PM
:lol: ...Yeah ...Right ...:lol: .....convince me ...!! :lol:

Flash ....!! :D

rogerg
01-04-2013, 07:31 PM
Asking gives the buyer an additional avenue through which to enter in discussions with the seller. This often assists in gauging a general feel for the authenticity of the sale or the character of the seller. :shrug:

hotspur
01-04-2013, 07:37 PM
That's sad to read you had to sell your BMW 635 csi,my most favorite car,I'd love to have one,I would'nt sell it for anything or anyone if I had one,what sort of monies are these worth these days? got any piccy's?

LewisM
01-04-2013, 07:41 PM
Steve, it's a question I LOATHE too. In this day and age, it seems a lot of people have no trust in people, and think there is always an ulterior motive for selling something, like a defect etc.

Smile, and move on to the next tyre kicker.

LewisM
01-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Struth, I was hoping for a run in the Beemer...now a Honda CBR? How the heck are you gonna fit Col's AND my tripods on the back of that?

Impetuous I tells ya!

Stardrifter_WA
01-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Hi Unipol,

I think that is a perfectly legitimate question to ask. I have asked that question myself. If I have seen an item change hands several times, I would particularly want to know why. Is it any good? Then why are you selling? What are its limitations? Perfectly reasonable questions, if one is showing 'due diligence' before making a purchase. Of course, the answer comes down to whether the seller is honest about it.

Fortunately, I have found most people on IIS to be honest anyway, but then, this is a small community and anyone who isn't are soon found out, as we have seen on a few occasions in the past.

There are all sorts of reasons why people sell 'stuff', usually to buy more 'stuff', although I mostly buy and don't usually sell. :D Or maybe it is because I swapped my wife for a credit card and don't have someone nagging me to get rid of 'stuff'. :lol:

I sure am much better off financially, as I don't spend as much as she did! I certainly wouldn't have the scopes I have if was still married. Nahh, I would still be paying a bloody big mortgage instead. :P Now I am debt free, at least, until I buy my new mount (EQ6 GT) on Tuesday, if it arrives.

Cheers Peter

AG Hybrid
01-04-2013, 08:01 PM
I think its a reasonable question to ask. Remember they are buying over the internet not in a store front where they can inspect the product. A bit of miss trust is health when buying over the net. As mentioned by Roger it opens way of discussion and gauges a feel of authenticity from the buyers end.

It can be avoided though. In your ad you can say... no longer used or not enough space or wife said NO. etc etc.

taminga16
01-04-2013, 08:24 PM
When selling one one of my cars I had a prospective buyer, who was standing in a shed surrounded by vehicles ask the question, to which I replied, 'It's more profitable than giving them away!" .
Greg.

Kunama
01-04-2013, 09:13 PM
Sorry Steve, I have to post a pic just for Chris:

My now sold :sad: beautiful 1989 635CSi with BBS/Pirelli/Eibach/Bilstein/Zimmermann/Becker etc etc. ( I actually sold my mint ///M3 BMW to buy this beast but have too many cars and something had to go :sad:

Kunama
01-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Lewis, I could bring the Ferrari along except for the stonechips I would encounter, and a paint job is $20K

Kunama
01-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Back to the thread title:

The young chap buying the BMW never asked why? He just smiled, handed over the loot and drove away, but I do wonder why people ask the question.

As Greg said selling is better for the bank balance than giving away is.

tlgerdes
01-04-2013, 09:41 PM
As a buyer, I would ask it to see the level of bargaining room I might have.

My wife needs more room, doesn't have a time factor, so less bargain power.

I'm moving overseas next month, is the opposite, time deadline = bargain power.

hotspur
01-04-2013, 09:58 PM
That's a very beautiful car,always liked these very much,do not see very many these days.

barx1963
01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I think it is a reasonable question to ask. In ads when I am selling I usually give the reason upfront. I always find it a little odd to read ads extolling the virtues of an item but if it is so great, why are they selling it? It helps I think to add more authenticity and trust in a sale.

Malcolm

Allan_L
01-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Spot on Malcolm.
If it is so good why are you selling it?
Can I learn from your experience and jump straight to the scope you are planning on upgrading to?
Especially relevant as there are no warranties on private sales.

But as said previously, it is much easier to answer the question within the add. Else you may look like you have something to hide.

LewisM
01-04-2013, 11:05 PM
That's it, I am becoming a Federalie :)

Bloody nice Beemer.

Blow it Matt, bring the Red Car... the one with the prancing stallion on it... yeah, that one. Take my wife for a spin :)

Kunama
02-04-2013, 06:28 AM
Urgent sale required = Please buy it before it falls apart
unwanted gift = Unwanted by anyone
genuine reason for selling = too expensive to own
growing family = even the kids don't want it
reluctant seller = so bad I feel guilty for trying to fleece you
ideal for a beginner = who doesn't know how bad this is ........
downsizing = won't fit into the stationwagon

LewisM
02-04-2013, 08:56 AM
One / First owner = I was the first to realise how bad it is, and didn't have the cash to replace it. (a description heard/used often with Jeep and Saab owners) :)

Nikolas
02-04-2013, 11:13 AM
This is why I'd ask as well.
Malcolm is correct.

TrevorW
04-04-2013, 07:48 PM
To gauge how desperate the seller is to sell