PDA

View Full Version here: : HEQ5-Pro Loading

pjphilli
01-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi

I have been looking through previous threads to see what maximum loading should be applied to a HEQ5-Pro mount.
Some time ago Luke of Lee Andrews said that 14kg was the maximum loading.
Other information says that a mount loading should be no more than 75% maximum to permit accurate guiding when used for imaging which would limit this mount to a load of 10.5Kg.
I have been loading at 11.5Kg (82% of maximum) and I found that I needed an additional 5kg balancing weight in addition to the two 5kg weights supplied with the mount.
Recently I threw more gear on the mount (don't we all?) bringing the loading up to 13.3kg (95% of maximum) which needed another 5kg weight
to achieve balance. A total of four weights which sounds a lot but keep in mind that each weight added further up the stack has less leverage
effect than each previous weight. This extra loading was a straw too far
for this camel and I found that the guiding was affected so I have stripped back to 11.5Kg which appears OK.
I would be interested in others opinions on the weight loading for a HEQ5-Pro.

Cheers Peter

Merlin66
01-04-2013, 03:53 PM
I agree, around 11Kg for "precision" work.

Shiraz
01-04-2013, 04:13 PM
ditto - found 11kg to be the very top weight for DSO - mount was much happier at 9kg or less, but 11kg was still possible with care.

RobF
01-04-2013, 04:47 PM
Hi Peter

I've found about 11-12kg is the most for practical purposes. Balance becomes much more critical too of course, particularly in DEC. If you've got a load where the centre of gravity moves as you slew about (large newt) I think things are more challenging too.

Screwdriverone
01-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi Peter,

My HEQ5Pro simply LOVES having an ED80 only on it, when I load up my imaging rig (8" newt @ 1000mm long, 50mm Orion guidescope and Atik 314L+) it struggles even with an additional counterweight and I find it isnt too happy when at full extension and the tube is on the west side.

At one stage I tried having my 130mm newt riding piggyback on the main tube and the motors could hardly move the bulk.

I think an 8" newt steel tube and 50mm guider is about the max this baby can handle, obviously having a CF tube or smaller scope makes a lot of difference, the ED80 as mentioned tracked like a champion as it is a featherweight compared to the newt.

Cheers

Chris

jjjnettie
01-04-2013, 11:44 PM
I feel I'm pushing my little HEQ5Pro to the limit with the ED127 , finder guider and CDS1100D.
All up it weights 9kg, not counting the counter weights.
It purred along when I was using the ED80.

Just remember it WILL handle the extra weight, but you will be shortening the life of the mount in the process.

pjphilli
02-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Hi All

Thanks for your comments. I have stripped my HEQ5-Pro load down to about 11.5kg (200mm RC, 80mm Meade scopes; QHY8 imaging, DSI2 guiding cameras; Telrad; mounting plate). This requires 17.5kg of balancing
weights adjusted as required to give appropriate left or right weight bias.
A quick 10min image of the Little Beehive M41 cluster last night before
the cloud moved in indicates that the above arrangement is now working
sweetly. See attached image.

Cheers Peter

Nikolas
02-04-2013, 11:43 AM
My cg5 go to seems to be fine and perform somewhat better with a little added weight. After I added a guidescope (orion 80 and the orion starshoot) to my c8 SGT it needed an extra 5kg counterweight. Will be interesting to see how the 127 ED will go with the guidescope rig.I find it easier to balance the mount with the ED due to the rings holding it on.

alistairsam
02-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Hi
I'd second the 11 to 12 kg limit as well.
I had major guiding issues at 12.5 but an oag corrected that very well.
So if you're above 11.5 or so, it may still be workable with an oag.
I've moved to the TS-9 oag and qhy5-l2 for guiding with the qhy8 and this is working well.
Cheers