PDA

View Full Version here: : Used scope import/customs

casstony
04-06-2006, 12:14 PM
Does the $1000 limit for gst, etc apply only to new equipment or used as well?

Tony

Starcrazzy
04-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Hey, it applies to all items over 1000$,new or used..(i reckon its a bit rough)...i got an etx from the states some months ago and went through all the Bull that goes along with it...If you are getting a scope from overseas, i suggest you work it out with the seller to package the ota and the tripod seperatly and invoice you seperatly aswell..keep both items under 1000 bucks and you will be sweat..
good luck

Starkler
04-06-2006, 01:23 PM
The $1000 limit also includes frieght costs, which are likely to be considerable for a large item such as a scope.

janoskiss
04-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Last time I checked it was $1000 limit on sale price + postage. I don't think customs give a hoot about whether you're buying new or used.

Striker
04-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Also if receiving multiple parcels to the same address...these can be considered to be combined and charged accordingly....If you want this to work you need the items to be sent a week apart...other wise seperate parcels can still attract all fees.

New or used makes no diff.

casstony
04-06-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I gave myself a headache trying to figure this out on the customs website - much easier just to ask here. Those customs people really get in the way of a good deal.

I had agreed to buy a C11 ota on astromart but was beaten to it, luckily as it turns out. I hadn't expected to add those extra customs fees onto a second-hand import.

Tony

dugnsuz
04-06-2006, 10:44 PM
Hi
Used to play bass in a couple of Adelaide cover bands - looked at importing bass speakers (under $1000)from the States. It was a nightmare had to deal with airport handling taxes, international airport handling taxes etc etc.
Charges heaped on charges! I reckon it's only cost effective to get EPs and smaller items 2nd hand from the US.
This forum has been such a great source of quality 2nd hand gear - no need to involve the evil empire!!!!!
Cheers
Doug:thumbsup:

netwolf
06-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Can someone explain with a private sale how would they know the selling price?
With a purchase from a dealer they will no doubt include an invoice and I am guessing those could be 'adjusted'.

Regards
Netwolf

casstony
06-06-2006, 05:28 PM
You'd need to declare the true value of the item if you wanted to insure it.

Tony

netwolf
06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
yes put true value maybe greater than the purchase price sometimes.