PDA

View Full Version here: : Wreck uncovered off Maroubra beach

tlgerdes
30-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Fantastic adventure for Sydneysiders, the wreck of the Hereward is uncovered at the moment about 50m off Maroubra beach in about 4m of water. Went snorkelling over it this morning, absolutely stunning. You can see the sailing masts and the remnants of the keel and others pieces of the hull strewn across the ocean floor for about 50m.

It was last visible in 2011. This time though the shifting sands have uncovered more than ever, including a cannon, that the police promptly came and removed.

Pictures here http://www.sarcasmogerdes.com/Default.aspx?aid=12

MrB
30-03-2013, 10:10 PM
Interesting, thanks.
Was a huge vessel!
Not many houses around back then ;) (1898)

acropolite
30-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Sad to see such a beautiful ship wrecked, it's weird how we have a fascination with sunken ships, a house of that age barely rates a second glance, but an old ship underwater is fascinating. Some interesting stuff about it in Wikipedia, all 25 crew on board survived.

PCH
31-03-2013, 02:39 AM
Well why wouldn't they ? They're only about three feet from the beach - lol ;)

LewisM
31-03-2013, 08:27 AM
I watched EVERY Jacques Cousteau show I could as a kid - LOVED underwater archaeology! Good stuff Trevor! Good pictures too.

mental4astro
02-04-2013, 12:52 PM
REALLY! Talk about being paranoid! Yeah, I can just see a 200kg, 130 year old cannon that's been submerged in sea water for nearly as long, being used in some local drive-by hit. That would make the crim as stupid as the dipstick who ran into a window trying to make good his get away. We are now all the safer for its removal. :thanx:

Trevor, I never knew of this wreck, and I've been living here nearly all my life! Thanks. The whole east coast of Sydney is dotted with wrecks, including the "Malabar" after which the suburb is named. There's also the remains of another wreck close to the rescue chopper base down from Maroubra beach. I think it is of an old steamer, and there's not too much of it left on the shore. I can't remember if that's the Malabar or another ship.

From the pics of the intact ship, it would be located just off the giant "Rubik's Cube" where the storm water outlet is on the north end of Maroubra Beach.

tlgerdes
02-04-2013, 05:15 PM
Alex, you're right, the northern tip of the wreck is off the rubiks cude outlet. I found an article from the Dept of Environment, about the cannon. They took is away as they didn't want someone stealing it. The are going to clean it up and put it in as a monument on the beach esplanade.