PDA

View Full Version here: : It's official, I'm brainy!!!

cybereye
27-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Hi everyone!!

Don't you just love that word - "brainy"!! That's the word that described those kids at school that always seemed to get all the answers right and knew exactly what the teacher was talking about...

But I digress - I've just completed the Coursera Cosmolgy & Galaxies course which was run by Caltech. If anybody wants to learn about how the Universe and Galaxies work then I can highly recommend this course. It would have to be one of the most interesting courses I have ever done and it was free!

To pass you needed 60% of which 49.4% came from just watching the videos each week. The rest was made up of open book, multiple choice quizzes that seemed easy but weren't! The Caltech people were kind enough to post some statistics from the course which are quite interesting and they are as follows:

"The certificates have been released. Whereas originally we did not specify the "with distinction" track, we decided to add it, for the students who did better than 90% of max total score (60% is the passing grade).

If you are curious, here are some numbers (my understanding is that these are typical for Coursera classes):

The number of registered students was 26,751 (more than 28,000 registered, but some officially dropped out).
Of those, only 13,242 showed any activity at all (i.e., there were many "passive dropouts")
In the end (last week) there were 2,085 remaining.
Of those, 1,271 passed and got the certificates.
And of those, 306 passed with distinction."

Oh, just in case you were wondering how the above has anything to do with the title of this thread, I was one of 306!! Yep, it's official, I'm brainy!! :lol:

Cheers,
Mario

LewisM
27-03-2013, 04:03 PM
Figured as such - QLD astronomers have NIL viewing opportunities, so they hit the books instead ;)

Well done Mario.

leon
27-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Glad to hear it Mario, well done.

Leon

Wavytone
27-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Brainy perhaps, but you can't spell and your grammar is awful ;)

cybereye
27-03-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks Lewis - I had to do something while it was cloudy and raining!

Thanks Leon!!

Wavytone, please explain...:)

sn1987a
27-03-2013, 05:26 PM
TV is gooder then books!.

LewisM
27-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Wavytone, you are behind the times - yous dont need no spellin and grama to answer multi-choiz kweschuns!

How do you think American's can pass otherwise?

naskies
27-03-2013, 07:40 PM
Congrats!

JB80
27-03-2013, 08:38 PM
Well done! :)

I looked at that course and thought better of it, in the end I did the Astrobiology one and passed that recently also with a distinction. I do imagine it was a much easier course than the cosmolgy one though.

cybereye
27-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks Guys!

Jarrod, congratulations on your distinction! I've signed up for the next offering of the Astrobiology course - the University of Edinburgh one.

Cheers,
Mario