PDA

View Full Version here: : Digital Setting Circles - Which 1 ?

Kunama
26-03-2013, 05:06 PM
I know there are a large number of Argo fanatics here but what about the Sky Commander etc.

Given these things change over time what is the current thinking on value for money DSCs. The situation is:

T-Rex mount either on tripod for travel or pier at home
Tak TSA120 refractor at the moment , maybe a C11 later
JMI Train&Track motors on both Alt and Azi instead of the handles.

Any thoughts my dear friends :shrug: (John B .... where R U )

barx1963
26-03-2013, 05:23 PM
I have been using Argo for a while now and would not have any trouble recommending them. The fact that you can ring Gary if any spares/advice/ideas etc is needed and he is very helpful is a selling point on its own.
Very happy with mine!

Malcolm

gbeal
26-03-2013, 05:33 PM
I was an early adopter of the Argo, and could not think of anything else.
Is there anything else??
Gary

iceman
26-03-2013, 05:50 PM
I used the SkyCommander very early on. But after having used an Argo, I'd never get anything else.

Barrykgerdes
26-03-2013, 06:50 PM
I have used the Meade Magellan and the Celstron Astromaster (Same as the Sky Commanders). However they all need to have time date and location set every time you use them wheras the Argo has a built in clock.

With all its extra features the Argo takes a little longer to learn but it is far superior and can use a subset of Meade commands to interface it to planetarium programs or goto telescopes.

And the added bonus is that Gary is always available for help from this forum. I would not even consider any of the other lesser types now.

Barry

dannat
26-03-2013, 08:54 PM
The nexus is a cheaper option, then sky commander then Argo

Kunama
26-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the thoughts one and all, sounds like I will have to save a few extra pennies for the AN.
Gary was indeed very to quick to get back to me with a quote and a rundown on what I would need.