PDA

View Full Version here: : Review: Baader 2” Cool Ceramic Safety Herschel Wedge

iceman
25-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Dr John Wilkinson (John W) has kindly written a review of the Baader 2” Cool Ceramic Safety Herschel Wedge.

You can read the review here:

Baader 2” Cool Ceramic Safety Herschel Wedge (http://www.iceinspace.com.au/47-722-0-0-1-0.html).

Thanks to John for taking the time to write the review. If anyone else like to submit a review, please get in touch.

iceman
28-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Review uploaded.

Kunama
28-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Excellent review, thanks John W

gbeal
28-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Yes, great review, enjoyed it.
Gary

FlashDrive
28-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Thanks John ....excellent review ...!!

Col...!

Steffen
28-03-2013, 12:51 PM
Nice review, thanks!

I already have Baader solar film and a Baader solar continuum filter. I'm guessing that a Herschel wedge would not necessarily be a worthwhile upgrade then? Especially considering that I could use it only with my small refractor, not the Mak or the Dob…

Cheers
Steffen.

Merlin66
28-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Steffen,
I use my Baader wedge on a 102mm achromat.
The performance in "white light" is much better than the view with the Baader solar film (which is already pretty good.)
If you want to get maximum resolution and image clarity - the Herschel wedge is the way to go!
(A good 100mm scope is all you really need under normal seeing conditions - all the possible detail is visible - Sunspots, plage, granulation etc)

wavelandscott
28-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Nicely done, I enjoyed reading it and learned a few things.

gavcol
31-03-2013, 12:51 AM
Hi All

Great review, I have heard some good things about this wedge!

Only thing is that it is out of my price range :sadeyes:.

Anyone got or used the Lunt Solar Wedge like seen at the Bintel link below?

http://www.bintel.com.au/Accessories/Solar-Filters/Lunt-Solar-Wedge-2-/1032/productview.aspx

This is more in my price range :). Also would be looking to use it with a 5"/120 f5 achromat. I know it states refractor up to 6". But how safe is it when you start getting up to these size scopes?

Cheers

Gav

Merlin66
31-03-2013, 01:23 AM
Gavin,
The Herschel wedge is regularly used on 150mm achromats.
It has been used in observatories with apertures up to at least 200mm.
It's a 100% safe to use with the appropriate secondary ND filters after the wedge.

gavcol
31-03-2013, 01:45 AM
Thank you Ken

Gives me some piece of mind :thumbsup:.

Don't suppose you have any opinions on the Lunt wedge then?

Cheers

Gav

Merlin66
31-03-2013, 07:57 AM
Gavin,
I started by building my own wedge from a 60mm 30 degree optical prism..it worked very well....
I had an opportunity to buy a Baader and went for it.
The eyepiece end can accommodate a T thread to C adaptor and allows the DMK to mount securely..
The Lunt design is fairly basic, but does perform pretty well.
Over on the Solar Chat group they have stripped down both the Lunt and the Baader for comparison...
An interesting finding was that the Lunt prism was a thin tapered (slight wedge) piece of glass...in the Baader it's a "proper" 15deg (?) optical glass wedge prism.
Which ever one you go for, the surface detail will be better than with the film/ aperture glass filters.
Just remember to fit the additional ND filters.
Hope this helps.

gavcol
31-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks Again Ken

I will head across to solar group to check the thread out.

Regards

Gav :thanx: