PDA

View Full Version here: : NASA funding cuts, No more outreach

jjjnettie
23-03-2013, 12:58 PM
No more outreach, no more education. :( It's a sad day indeed. It's going to be up to us amateurs to keep the dream alive.
Your daily APOD and EPOD may end up being just a fond memory. Dear Camilla may have to retire and as for her trip to the ISS, I can't imagine they will allow that. :(
The Challenger Learning Centres, Space Camps.... all facing the chop.
http://www.universetoday.com/100949/sequester-cancels-nasa-outreach/#ixzz2OJaWPxnt

big_dav_2001
23-03-2013, 02:12 PM
I was just about to post about this... A very sad day for science education....

Will this affect your exhibit at Goddard Jjj?? I really hope not.

Davin

Larryp
23-03-2013, 02:34 PM
Will lead to more dumbing-down of society:(

AstralTraveller
23-03-2013, 02:34 PM
'OK hold still while I aim at the other foot!'

The tea-room conversation yesterday was about the (supposed) dysfunctionality of our government and how much it is real and how much is a media beat-up. An American visitor commented;

"Well at least you have a budget."

Stardrifter_WA
23-03-2013, 02:47 PM
It is a sign of the times, sadly. Many countries have been living well beyond their means for sometime now. Like any debt laden household, when income is less than outgoings, something has to give.

You simply cannot have sustained or indefinite unchecked growth. Somewhere along the line, as the idiom goes, "the piper has to be paid".

Frankly, I think the world economy is built like a "house of cards". Continue trying to build it bigger, it will collapse. It's inevitable.

Given the current world economical circumstance, Australia really IS the lucky country. :)

As Ralph Waldo Emerson said "With the past, I have nothing to do; nor with the future. I live now".

jjjnettie
23-03-2013, 02:58 PM
It's not important.

It's the large scheme of things that is.
There goes the lively hood of many good people who put in more than 9-5 because of their love of science, space and astronomy.
What is to spark the interest, the awe and wonder of the next generation of kids? :sadeyes:

batema
23-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Adam and I.

LewisM
23-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Oh, come on now, surely you knew basketball and football were FAR more important than such trivial things like science, education and exploration?

We have stagnated for the last 30 years, I think only another global conflict is going to shake us out of this vapid world we currently live in, sadly.

jjjnettie
23-03-2013, 03:05 PM
you guys are the best. I wish my kids went you your school. :)

simmo
23-03-2013, 03:16 PM
We all have the power to spark the interest of the next generation. Don't be down, life is forever changing and with determination and hard work anything is possible and something new will arise from it. NASA has been a great resource for us but every flower while beautiful in bloom only lasts so long. Your young jjj, in your life you still have much time to inspire many generations to come.

cheers
Simmo ;)

allan gould
23-03-2013, 03:24 PM
You guys are sic. Wish my kids had had you as teachers. Going to Astrofest this year?
Allan

batema
23-03-2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks Allan. Yes definately. My initial thought was to go for the whole time this year on long service leave but have been awarded a scholarship and am one of two teachers who will be travelling to Huntsville Space Centre to attend educators space camp for 9 days. I have also had the pleasure of breaking my lower leg, displacing my ankle and tearing all the ligaments so am in the process of having 6 weeks off so between this and space camp I think I will have soent too much time away from school. Might try for the first four days. The saddest thing is I can not put any weight on my leg for six weeks so getting all my gear out and imaging is impossible unless I give my wife a crash course in setting up, aligning and focussing. Not going to happen.

Mark

Miaplacidus
23-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Maybe when the Chinese government comes to collect they'll find a use for NASA. :shrug:

jjjnettie
23-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Mark, I'd be very surprised if your camp is still going ahead.
The cuts are virtually immediate.

In terms of scope, this includes all public engagement and outreach events, programs, activities, and products developed and implemented by Headquarters, Mission Directorates, and Centers across the Agency, including all education and public outreach efforts conducted by programs and projects.”
The scope encompasses, but is not limited to:
- Programs, events, and workshops.
- Permanent and traveling exhibits, signage, and other materials.
- Speeches, presentations, and appearances, with the exception of technical presentations by researchers at scientific and technical symposia.

batema
24-03-2013, 12:31 AM
I'll keep my fingers crossed jjj. If it does not go ahead please don't tell Kath and I'll come imaging for 9 days.

jjjnettie
24-03-2013, 12:48 AM
:) No probs. :) Though one has to wonder how much quality imaging would get done . ;)