PDA

View Full Version here: : Pier versus Tripod

Hans Tucker
22-03-2013, 03:55 PM
I have been thinking about buying a portable Pier (Pinnacle, Astro-Physics, ATS) to mount my NJP. Do portable Piers offer more stability than a three leg wooden tripod?

The Mekon
22-03-2013, 04:34 PM
Yes, but the one disadvantage is you need to find level or near level ground. I have the AP tension leg style pier with an EQ6. It is so much better than the tripod.

MrB
22-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi Hans,

My experience with an Astrotrac Portable Pier, which uses stainless cables and turnbuckles to tension each leg, is a resounding YES!
It is very light, so I add weight inside the column(sand bags), but boy is it stiff and stable.

I'm sure any portable pier by AP or anyone else equally reputable will be as solid as a rock.

Larryp
22-03-2013, 05:48 PM
Back when I had AP scopes, I used their pier-absolutely rock-solid and much superior to a tripod. As already mentioned, you do need fairly level ground.

JB80
22-03-2013, 07:59 PM
There seems to be a waiting list for AP portable piers, at least from the US anyway.
I have been thinking the same but question whether a portable pier would be stable/sensible enough for a C11 and NEQ6?
My gut feeling is no.

Larryp
22-03-2013, 08:01 PM
Handle it with ease!:)

JB80
22-03-2013, 08:16 PM
I'll have to give it a bit more consideration then, although I'll need to see what my location has in store for me though, I might be able to convince my wife for a more permanent set up.

AussieSky
22-03-2013, 08:23 PM
C14 on an AP1200 mount is solid as a rock on the AP portable pier.

frolinmod
23-03-2013, 02:38 AM
Here's a pic from a few years ago of an EdgeHD 14 and Paramount ME on top of a 10" diameter Astro-Physics portable pier. This set up was rock solid and rigid:

JB80
23-03-2013, 03:03 AM
I should probably get out more, the only portable pier I have seen was one of the EQ5 piers from Skywatcher on wheels and while I liked the look of it I was doubtful whacking anything bigger on and rolling it around seemed a good idea.

MrB
23-03-2013, 03:19 AM
Four different posts mentioning "Rock Solid" or "Solid as a rock"... I think Hans has his answer ;)

beren
23-03-2013, 11:13 AM
Was looking at the tak piers but ended up with the large tak metal folding tripod, impressive bit of kit recommend it :) both in use and looks (:P).

doppler
23-03-2013, 11:19 PM
Hi Hans,
I have been using a pier mount for 25+ years and although they are a bit more work to set up they are quite unmovable when put on site. I never have to worry that my crazy dogs might knock it over at night and it has been great to use at school veiwing nights. My scope is an 8" f6 with a 4" finderscope (guidescope). I can wheel it out of the shed and down the concrete path no problems. I can fit the pier in the boot of a 1995 lancer and the scope on the back seat. The legs are attatched with wingnuts from the inside of the pier tube. I have seen a similar mount with a 16" f 4.5 newtonian on top. Stable....yes to the max.
Cheers Rick

strongmanmike
24-03-2013, 08:34 AM
Hi Hans

The big difference is that the scope, or camera, on top of a pedestal style pier won't run into a leg prematurely. This was the issue I had with my 6" Starfire when I was using it on a wooden tripod (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/66204409/original). The need to meridian flip often occurred much sooner and then I would have to wait so that I could actually flip the system because I couldn't acquire the target yet on the other side :doh:

The answer was a pedestal style pier (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/new_njp_support_pier) :thumbsup: much better and almost as as stable (a traditional vertically radiating tripod or quad pod configuration can't be beat for stability see image attached).

My dual centre column, removable horizontal leg and removable top plate design was constructed in Melbourne by a metal fabrication company but any such business would have little trouble doing the same. I had it constructed out of mild steel but if you can afford it aluminium would be better for portability as the tall centre column alone weighs about 40kg :P

Here (http://www.pbase.com/strongmanmike2002/image/147579987/original) it is currently, with the short column in use

Mike

Hans Tucker
24-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Thanks all whom provided input, it is greatly appreciated. Also thanks to those IIS's that provided images of your setup, it has provided great visualisation of the stability of a Pier. My intentions to go to a pier was based on the need to mount a nearly 2M long APOMAX 130 f/12 Refractor on my NJP whilst providing sufficient clearance.