PDA

View Full Version here: : Hard drive adapters

chrisp9au
22-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Some advice please...

I'm thinking of putting my desktop PC back into service.
Now that I'm retired I just don't move my laptop off the desk!

I would like to take my two SATA 2.5" drives out of my laptop
and install in the desktop box, which of course is an older IDE type box.

What sort of adapter do I need? for both power and data?

Chris

pluto
22-03-2013, 01:10 PM
I think the first thing to check is whether the motherboard in your desktop supports SATA, and check whether the drives are SATA or SATA2 or even SATA3.

Barrykgerdes
22-03-2013, 01:19 PM
You will most likely need a new motherboard with Sata drive connectors.

If your old computer does have the Sata headers you will need a sata cable and a power connector to convert the IDE power plug to the Sata power plug. However if you expect the PC to boot to the laptop O/S that probably won't work because the O/S will be configured for the laptop and you will need the installation disks to repair it.

If your old PC still has IDE harddrives and an operating system your best bet is to use a USB drive and transfer all the data you need from the laptop into the PC.

Any other solution may end up costing more than a new PC

Barry

chrisp9au
22-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks Hugh,

The PC is a Dell Optiplex GX 270 small format, which, according to the manual, is SATA compatible. Looking at the motherboard, next to the IDE sockets, there are two positions labelled as SATA1 and SATA2, one definitely doesn't have a socket to take a cable, the other has a white cover and I can't see whether there is a socket inside it or not. I would have to dismantle the box to get a view of it!

I take it that it isn't just a case of putting an SATA adapter on the IDE cable?

Cheers :thumbsup:

Chris

pluto
22-03-2013, 02:00 PM
No, IDE is a different thing to SATA.
Unfortunately I don't know much about motherboard connections so I'm not sure what your next step is :)

Barrykgerdes
22-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Hi Chris

Have a look at that socket with the cover and see if it looks anything like pic 1
If it does you have a Sata header and will need an adaptor Pic 2 and a sata cable No pic ( couldn't find my spares).

The necessary cable will be available from you computer store for a few dollars.

These being present you should be able to read the sata drives when they are set up from the computer setup screen.

Whether they will be bootable depends on other factors.

chrisp9au
22-03-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks Barry,

I'll find a way of checking that socket, but it will have to wait until tomorrow, I've got to head down to Melbourne for a dress rehearsal for a concert on Sunday.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Chris

mithrandir
22-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Chris, Barry's adapter cable is only to supply power. You will also need the right cable to connect the SATA data header on the motherboard to the disk. I'd take one of the disks with you when you go to the shop. 2.5" and 3.5" disks may not have the same size connectors.

Tandum
22-03-2013, 05:24 PM
They are the same. If the mother board has no sata sockets you can buy a PCI sata board to take a couple of drives.