PDA

View Full Version here: : SXV-ao Remote guide head compatibly

bert
20-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Hi All,

Im interested in an SX-AO, but I dont wan't a lodestar as it hasn't got a shutter which is essential for the remote imaging I do. So does anybody know if it can be used in maxim dl with another brand camera?

Nearly every time I have seen a starlight ao system it has been with ah loadstar or sx camera.

I do have an sbig remote guide head, and would love to use sxv ao with that.

Thanks
Brett

multiweb
20-03-2013, 07:31 PM
I haven't used mine for a long while but I vaguely recall that you can't use it without a lodestar. I'll be interested to know as well. But you can use a non SX imager at the back.

RickS
20-03-2013, 07:46 PM
Brett,

In Maxim (up to version 5.17 at least) the SX AO configuration option is only displayed if your guide camera is using the the SX Universal driver, so it doesn't look possible to use the AO with a non SX guide camera. At least not without major trickery. I can't see any technical reason why it has to be this way, but that's how it is designed.

Cheers,
Rick.

cfranks
20-03-2013, 08:09 PM
The software has been the main problem for me and I have the Lodestar! As above, Maxim will only support the SX-AO with the Lodestar but CCDSoft only supports the SX-AO as a 'feature' with Camera 1. That might be a path to try. Since that was not useable for me, I never tried it. Physically, the SBIG ST-i fits the SX-AO and that has a shutter. I didn't find its chip to be as sensitive as the Lodestar though.
Unfortunately, using the Maxim driver is a manual thing and it prevents me fully automating my imaging (with CCD Commander).

Charles

bert
20-03-2013, 08:13 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

Sounds like it will be too painful to work with automation. Charles: interesting way to look at it. In my experience ccdsoft works better with Sbig AO over maxim.

I had assumed wrongly that ccdsoft would not support it at all.

It was worth a look.

Brett

bert
20-03-2013, 08:18 PM
You could try ccdautopilot, it supports maxim and ao. I have been using it for years with both the sbig AOL and AO8. Bummer that it couldnt work in maxim without an sx guide camera.

The way you mentioned with ccdsoft would not work with ccdap.

Brett

naskies
20-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Yep, Maxim will only operate the SX-AO if connected to an SX camera (though there's no technical need for it).

Since the SX-AO operates over RS232 and the communication protocol is documented in the SX-AO manual, perhaps someone else will implement a driver for it - such as PHD guiding?

cfranks
21-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Thanks Brett,

I have had a copy of CCDAP5 for a long time and I haven't managed to get it to work with the SX-AO either. The current crop of software do work well with the SBIG stuff but I can't afford to replace my stuff. TheSkyX Camera Addon also won't work for the SX stuff but I believe that SX and Bisque will eventually collaborate for a driver but the priority is fairly low since there aren't too many of us with the requirement. :(

My problem with the Maxim/SX driver is you have to 'Locate' to get a suitable guide star, standard with all the automation software, but then have to invoke 'Track' with a very small exposure time, a combination I haven't managed to automate. I use CCD Commander and just pause the action while I get the AO guiding and then resume. I have to therefore stay at the computer all night, just like the Old-Timers! :thumbsup:

Charles