PDA

View Full Version here: : MRSA Me!

Waxing_Gibbous
17-03-2013, 07:37 PM
For those of you that asked - I'm much better - Ta!
For those of you that didn't - Plllltttt!

Way back in January my neighbour shot me (OK, it wasn't deliberate and it was 'only a .22 and it did hit me in one of my least vital, most padded spots)
However, it did hurt like blazes and following a return home, the wound got infected.
Back to hospital and a round of A-Bs and - nothing. :o.
I got worse.
I had contracted one of the infamous MRSA viruses.
This stuff is no picnic let me tell ya.
Its taken several weeks and numerous rounds of nuclear-option medicines that were almost worse than the infection just to hobble home.

It's quite scary really that something so small as a bacterium can cause you so much pain and suffering and even scarier that we may run out of options for these infections within 20 - 25 years!

Anyway, hope you all have had clear skies and neighbours who can shoot strait!

dannat
17-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Good luck Peter

Having worked in Hosp pathology for 6 yrs i saw people come into hospital & contract far worse ailments from being couped up with sicker people & staff who unknowingly passed things around (I'm not degrading the good job people do though). It is a 5itch to get rid o once you've got it, tread wisely

Octane
17-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Sorry to hear of your woes, Peter.

Glad to hear you're well and home now.

All the best.

H

ReaPerMan
17-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Glad your feeling better Peter. As a nurse I see many cases of MRSA and other increasingly nasty Bugs (VRE, CRE, CRKP) gotta love the acronyms! We have had it good for so long and with everybody expecting a magic pill to cure them, we have thrown Ab's at anything. The end result is these resistant strains. We are lucky here in WA as we have not had it as bad as overseas (or over East!) but it's on the rise and with some countries not monitoring the use of their antibiotics it can only get worse.

Matt Wastell
17-03-2013, 08:58 PM
Hi Peter
Glad to hear you are on the mend - not a good story!

MortonH
17-03-2013, 09:48 PM
Holy cr@p! Didn't know that, Peter. Hope the recovery continues.

naskies
18-03-2013, 01:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your hospital stays (though I am intrigued as to how one goes about accidentally shooting a neighbour!?). Glad to hear you've recovered!

I don't know if it's any comfort, but there are many initiatives to stop the spread of bugs within hospitals (e.g. the National Hand Hygiene Initiative (http://hha.org.au)) and the problems associated with resistant bugs are now drilled into us (medical students; other healthcare disciplines too) right from the start.

Side note: friends of mine doing biomedical research involving various bugs tell me that some bacteria (including the Staph. aureus in MRSA) evolve at a creepy pace. They can take a run of the mill strain that many of us have naturally growing on our skin, and if exposed to mild doses of antibiotics in a petrie dish - the colony starts to show drug resistance within 1-2 weeks! :eyepop:

Ric
18-03-2013, 01:22 AM
What a terrible thing to be hit with.

I'm glad to hear your on the mend though.

Take care