PDA

View Full Version here: : Approach Corridor to BNE Airport

FlashDrive
15-03-2013, 12:15 PM
I live in the ' approach corridor ' of the Brisbane International Airport ....every day ( when not at work ) I watch these ' heavies ' from my front verandah ....today I decided to take a few pic's.

Wish I had a bigger zoom Lens ....taken with a Olympus Digital 40 - 150mm ED Lens.

The 3rd Photo ...you can see a ' low pressure system ' over the central body and wings....I'm sure that's a 777 ... not sure of the markings ( what Airline ) ..TWA, Delta, Air Asia, United, Emirates, ...dunno :shrug:

The 4th pic ...found on the Net ...Cockpit of this Aircraft ...credit to the originator of this Photo.

Time to see if I can source a 70-300mm Lens.

Flash ..!!

Russ59
15-03-2013, 12:33 PM
Number 3 is an Etihad A330.

FlashDrive
15-03-2013, 01:18 PM
Thanks ... from a seasoned plane spotter...;)

Flash ..!!

Stardrifter_WA
15-03-2013, 01:27 PM
Hi Colin,

I too live near the approach to Perth Airport and often sit out the back watching planes come in. They cross left of my house and then bank to the right for approach. Last year I saw a Globemaster almost pass over my house. Big sucker!

Cheers Peter

cybereye
15-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Who's piloting photo 4?! :lol:

FlashDrive
15-03-2013, 01:43 PM
Gidday Pete ....quite an enjoyable ' pastime ' isn't it ....:thumbsup:
About 1am every morning ( right on Que ) ..I can hear this ' heavy drone ' of turbine engines ...going slowly across the front of my house ..I.ve been out and had a look....but all you see is ' Nav Lights ' flashing ..strobes and a huge dark moving object flying away from me.
Like to know what it is....probably if I ' clocked on ' to ATC Live Chatter.net....I'd soon find out what we have here.
It's big ...that's all I know at the moment.

Flash ...!! :hi:

FlashDrive
15-03-2013, 01:47 PM
Didn't you know ....Full Automatic Landing System.....ILS approach ...Pilots are out the back having Tea and Bickies with the Hostess.

My bet that's a Simulator Photo.

Flash ...:rofl:

Russ59
15-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Number 4 is an Airbus A320 or 330. I cannot confirm which one. I'm sure there are more experienced then me who can confirm.

AstralTraveller
15-03-2013, 04:31 PM
I think you mean a 400mm f/5.6 L ;).

FlashDrive
16-03-2013, 01:37 AM
That'll do quite nicely ....Thanks Astral

Flash

leon
16-03-2013, 03:30 AM
Hey Flash, I know what you mean mate, I,m camped directly under the Darwin Airport take of and landings, and this is what see most days, except for the B52 which comes in only once a year or so.
I was lucky enough to be right at the end of the runway when i spotted it in the distance.

Leon:thumbsup:

Meru
16-03-2013, 09:30 AM
Great photos Colin, wow Leon those are amazing up-close pics! To think, straight from your house! I'm lucky enough to work in the control tower complex at Melbourne airport so every day to work I get to see various planes flying. I'll see if I can dig up some pics I've taken and share them too :)

FlashDrive
16-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Leon ....excellent collection of Photos ....all very sharp and defined.
No 3 Photo .....C130 Hercules Transport.....you caught the ' corkscrew ' of the Prop Blades very nicely there ... the ' twirl ' generated as the air is ' scooped ' up by the rotating props.... A very good example of aerodynamics here.

This might sound a little ' trivial ' ...but propellers are in fact ' rotary wings '.....the laws of aerodynamics apply when spinning.

Great photos..your right where the action is :thumbsup:

Flash

FlashDrive
16-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Meru....sounds good ... see what you can do.

I remember when I was growing up in the 60's ..when we went to the Airport to pick up a family member or friend ...everyone who was there ( including other members of the public ) could go and stand at the ' fence ' just in front of the Terminal and watch the Aircraft come off the runway and taxi to it's holding point right in front of us.....most popular Aircraft in those days was the F27 Fokker or DC9 ( TAA or Ansett )....and you could meet the passengers as they walked through the fence.

In some cases ...if the occasion was special ....returned services soldier or a long awaited visit from someone you hadn't seen in ages ...girlfriends , wives , family members would run out on to the tarmac and greet and hug each other as they made their way back to the terminal.

Can we do that today .....it's only a pipe dream now ..... those days were so innocent ...life was less demanding ... and people were trusted and had a lot more regard for the general folk of the day....no need for layers of Security as they have today.

Anyway Meru ...photos mate ...love to see a few ... I'm sure Leon would like that also.

Flash ..!!

mozzie
16-03-2013, 10:49 AM
on my honeymoon in 97' went to hawaii on an 747 sat in that upper deck..had a problem with one of the meals on board and didn't like eating grubs in my salad..holly mackeral talk about service they where so nice and apologetic we were able to go and see in the cockpit wow:eyepop:amazing stuff...
then about an hour and a half out of landing i was asked to come and sit behind the pilot while landing.one of the most amazing things i'd ever done or seen when it landed walked back with the pilot and staff and the new bride sitting buy her self...you would'nt get in the cockpit these days
it was a privalage!!!!!

leon
16-03-2013, 06:08 PM
Yep, I have to admit I,m in a perfect spot, so many planes each day one nearly knows what it is by the noise it makes, :lol: now these were something else, when they were here in Darwin on exercise for a month.
nearly spent the entire month at the end of the runway. :D :D

Leon :thumbsup:

MichaelSW
16-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Aircraft arrivals and departures to and from Brisbane through controlled airspace follow set tracks. These tracks pass through specific waypoints, which more often than not are just set points in space selected to suit operational needs.

The waypoints are all named, and that is where it can get interesting.

Of particular interest is the Standard Instrument Departure (SID)
for aircraft using Runway 19 departing Brisbane to the South for waypoint Laravale. This SID has waypoints as follows:-

Rwy 19: Track 196° to MEAND.

At MEAND, and not below 600’, turn left track direct to DADAN.

Track 181°to DENIS.

Track 188°to LILEE.

Maybe some cricket fan had a hand in this! The official procedure chart is at http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/dap/BBNDP03-134.pdf

Graffy
18-03-2013, 10:49 PM
The only thing wrong with those photos is the number of prop blades on the Herc...

... J all the way ;)

LewisM
19-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Oh, there's quite a few funnily named waypoints for SID's out there...

Leon, that Indo. SU27 is sure pretty - out of ALL the world's modern fighters, the Su27/Su30 series takes the cake for not only looks but performance too.

gbeal
21-03-2013, 02:33 PM
Some neat shots guys. I'm not that big into planes, but spend fair bit of my work time suspended under wings that rotate.
I did get a major buzz recently seeing the refurbished Mosquito do a fly past. Incredible.
Gary

brian nordstrom
21-03-2013, 07:35 PM
:lol: Hope you are not getting payed when these great shots were being taken Leon ?.
They are flying over work at the moment as well , but by the time we get out side for a look they have gone .
Brian.

Russ59
21-03-2013, 09:09 PM
No problem... from another seasoned plane spotter...;)

With most of my aviation photos the aircraft don't fit into the FOV :lol:

brian nordstrom
21-03-2013, 10:47 PM
:eyepop: My God Russ , a ship with wings ! .
Brian.

gd55
26-03-2013, 11:23 PM
I love listening to ATCs as well as watching aircraft. This ATC is quite funny. As I'm going to fly into JFK later this year I immediately sat up and took notice!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkSh9JEDv50

--gd