PDA

View Full Version here: : NEQ6 or an Ioptron EQ45 - which one would you buy

niko
14-03-2013, 03:04 PM
I need a beefier mount than the ever reliable HEQ5Pro and can't decide between these 2.

I'm familiar with the Skywatcher already so no real new learning required. The EQ45 has polar align assist which may (or may not) be good.

I owned an early Ioptron but never much liked the screen interface.

Also, I use EQMOD and a gamepad - will these all work with the Ioptron?

thanks in advance for your advice

niko

Profiler
14-03-2013, 04:08 PM
This is something of a conundrum to answer as we are essentially asking to pick what is better between a copy of a Takahashi mount or a copy of an Astro Physics mount. The problem is that both Tak and AP make superlative mounts but the variables which make them superb are not simply confined to their design but the inherent quality of the ultised materials, the precision in the crafting of their components and thereafter mechanical assembly and finally the fastidious quality control in testing the final product.

This is why the generic EQ6 is about $1.8k and a Tak Temma a bit over $11k. The moment a SW clone becomes close to the Tak is when unfortunately Tak will be out of business as logically we will all buy the clone which is as good for less than half the price. With this general caveat in mind both of the clones are pretty good for what they offer and in the context of a budget mount they will both have their respective strengths and weakness.

If I had to pick between the two I would lean towards the Ioptron simply because there have been a few horror stories about the venerable NEQ6 whereas none thus far that I am aware of about the Ioptron AP clone. However, it is probably only a matter of time before they start to emerge as well

JB80
16-03-2013, 03:25 AM
As far as I know the EQmod only works with Skywatchers.

I have been thinking about the same thing as I will need a bigger mount for a bigger scope and from what I have read the EQ45 isn't worth the extra cash depending on what it is you want to put on it and people don't seem to like the spring loaded anti backlash. There also seem to be reports of it being a very wobbly mount with longer scopes.
I suppose both mounts have their advantages though.

Not to mention this write up, kind of enough to make me think before buying an ioptron product.
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4660504/Main/4612008

All this points me towards the NEQ6, if I can find just the mount an no tripod even better.

brian nordstrom
16-03-2013, 09:00 AM
:) Go the IEQ45 , Mine has given me over 18 months trouble free service .
It's a very good mount , a step up from the SW's .
Brian.

Star Hunter
18-03-2013, 12:55 PM
I have a SW EQ6 Pro and swear by it. It can do up to 15 mins. unguided exp for lenses up to 300mm. I once had a 35kg payload on this unit and again, it worked as expected.

With a pending EQ8 and this iOptron mount and the now SW EQ-Az6 mounts, it will be the price and their performance that will govern sales here in Oz.

Like semi-pro and pro digital cameras, I would wait a while to see how these mounts stack up as more sales will be generated in the US than here.

Astronomical equipment to me, are just working tools and to complete the job proper, you use the what is practical for that job in hand.

niko
18-03-2013, 01:38 PM
thanks for the advice guys - I'd love to wait to see if sales of the EQ8 drive prices down but I fear money will burn a hole in my pocket before then!

:lol:

frolinmod
18-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I've recently been using a new AZ-EQ6 GT. It beats the pants off the EQ6.

deanm
18-03-2013, 07:17 PM
Niko: if you "fear money will burn a hole in my pocket", then get the $$$ out of your pocket, send it to me, and I'll deal with it!!

Dean

brian nordstrom
19-03-2013, 12:27 AM
:hi:

Profiler
19-03-2013, 07:33 AM
:lol::lol::lol: