PDA

View Full Version here: : newbie

im-a-star
03-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Hi im a newbie.. Im interrsted in getting a telescope i can lut in my car and drive places and star gaze.. Im on the central coast nsw. Feel free to give me any advice and places to check out etc. Also feel free to email me jacob.ewen@gmail.com :thanx:

supernova1965
03-03-2013, 11:17 PM
Welcome to IIS I am sure you will get good advice here.

ZeroID
04-03-2013, 09:42 AM
Hi Jacob, can you tell us a bit more about exactly what you want to see, what your budget is ?
I'd suggest a good starting point is some decent binoculars, 10 x 50 will do it and still be good for other purposes. And get Stellarium (free) onto your computer so you can explore the sky and plan what you'd like to see.

Allan_L
04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Hi Jacob,
Welcome to Ice In Space :welcome:

Browse around the beginner forums and you will find the same advice coming back repeatedly.
Recommended starting scope for value for money would be a Dobsonian.
That is for observing anyway.
Astrophotography is a different (expensive) track.
And it is rare that a scope can satisfy the two.

A collapsible one should be easier to transport.
Best places to start to look are here on the classifieds, or for new Bintel or Andrews.

If you can wait a bit, it would be good to get to a group observing site to see some of the various scopes and discuss alternatives. Check out the Star Parties forum. You are close to me and are welcome to have a look through my 10" collapsible dob. A group of us from the Çentral Coast are off this week to Nundle, so hope to catch up with you when i get back. (Or you are welcome to join us if you have the time off).

You could consider going to the IISAC (Astro Camp) in April too. You don't need to bring a scope as there will be plenty to look through. But binos may be a good thing.

Clear Skies