PDA

View Full Version here: : Eq6 + 12" Ota?

iceman
31-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi all.

Would an EQ6 hold a 12" OTA?

h0ughy
31-05-2006, 09:46 AM
I think it would, but might be an idea to lighten it a little, maybe cut some holes in the tube make it a false truss;) :P :D :lol: only kidding! I think it would Mike, but the only way to find out is to try it. can you get rings and dovetail bar to suit, hey hang on you have a 10" scope!! you going the whole hog now Mike?

Doug
31-05-2006, 10:28 AM
Mike, check out this write up. http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-043

Really it all depends on the 12"OTA, a long one will be more troublesome that a shorter one because of the lever arm effect (wind, vibration, flexure etc)
Then too, a 12"truss dob might create mischief of its own no matter what you mount it on.

best,
Doug

astronut
31-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Mike, Our club president has G.S.O. 12" and a Andrews EQ6 mount, he had to have a company in the U.K. make the tube rings for him, he couldn't find anyone here ( though that doesn't mean that there isn't anyone) He worked out that the weight and balance would be ok.:)
I could put you in touch with him if you like.:thumbsup:

iceman
31-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Only if he wants to sell it cheap ;)

Thanks for the info. Sounds like it would be ok.

Not yet, just trying to plan for the future..

So much on the want-to-buy list:
1) Bigger mirror for more resolving power and larger image scale
2) EQ mount for better tracking and down the line, DSO work
3) DMK or similar high frame rate mono camera
4) Canon 17-40L lens

For #1 and #2, I could either go a 12" OTA + mirror on an EQ6, or a 14-16" truss dob on an EQ platform.

Not sure which yet.

wavelandscott
31-05-2006, 12:30 PM
If you are thinking about going the truss dob route why not splash out and get the Argo Navis/Servocat combination instead of a platform???

It is only money after all...

JohnG
31-05-2006, 01:01 PM
One really needs to work out the weight of the telescope and all the equipment it will carry, then look at the weight capacity of the mount and work on 2/3rds of that capacity.

In the 35+ years I have been doing astronomy, the best advice given to me was acquire the best mount you can afford if you intend doing astrophotography, that is probably the most important part of the whole setup.

Cheers

JohnG