PDA

View Full Version here: : Fork mount or German for video?

mental4astro
28-02-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi all,

Not sure which forum to pose this question in, so I've put it here, :question:

I'm looking to make a rig dedicated to video astronomy. I have a couple of options for a mount, either the fork from an SCT or a German style (no more sophisticated than an EQ3 with an RA motor).

The gear I'll be using with it will be photography lenses (16mm to 300mm) and a couple of scopes (80mm f/5 refractor & 114mm f/4.5 reflector) coupled to my GSTAR camera.

Anyone have experience in this line of things? I am guessing that it would have similar applications to a dedicated astroimaging rig, :shrug:

Many thanks,

Mental.

sgazer
28-02-2013, 03:12 PM
either will be fine, I presume you'll be doing something like 10s exposures (integrated), alt/az are easier to point in the right direction, especially it's goto. I use a Celestron SLT for this.

mental4astro
01-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for that Lee. I've just got my hands on an old Meade fork from an 8" SCT. Back to the shed now to make the rig, :D

tlgerdes
01-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Balance is going to harder and more fiddly with your scopes on a fork as it was designed with a certain centre point of the OTA for balance. Failure to get the balance right and you will destroy your motors, gearboxes and clutches very quickly.

mental4astro
02-03-2013, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I was thinking of that Trevor. It will require a bit of tinkering to come up with a platform onto which I can make individual mounting blocks for each setup. I've done this for my photo tripod where I can swap between my various small scopes & big binos so each has their COG in line with the alt pivot point of the tripod head. Or, thinking on the run, a platform with a counter weight under it that can be shifted, much like the weight of a German mount.

Hmmm...

tlgerdes
02-03-2013, 05:06 PM
Generally it is going to nose heavy, but you will probaly need to balance it on a couple of axis as well. Maybe start off with magnets if the OTA is steel.

mental4astro
04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Well, I got the old Meade mount working (thanks Barry), and I've fashioned a neat little platform for it. Just need to make a wedge for the mount. Here's a link to the project in the DIY forum:

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=952495#post952495

I'm pretty happy with it. I also want to make the platform accomodate the 114 f/4.4 scope I've got too. Will make a fun little rig.

Mental.

mercedes_sl1970
04-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Hi Alex - like what you have done.

Andrew