PDA

View Full Version here: : Do U Need Good Cheap Deep Cycle Batteries ?

astronobob
27-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Hi All Astro-liano's
I have been searching for this & that, on the web alot lately, Came across a Battery Warehouse in Acacia Ridge, Sth Wst Outskirts of Brizzy; The story goes, that when their batteries are 12months old, they sell for cost price ! They have every type of battery you could think of ! Must have been a thousand or more on the palletised Racking shelves today ?

So, every month or two, maybe a dozen or two end-up as old stock and thus Sold at cost price !
Talking to them today and was assured that any Long Standing Battery is checked & top charged, electrolite added with liquid batteries if needed ect, every 3months to keep in good condition !

Anyways, I picked up the 3 last batteries of this 'seasons' old stock, which they will undoubtably have more in a few weeks, What types, no one knows, untill then ?
So, in telling them that their may be some interest within the astro community, they offered to take my details and will inform me what batteries will be available as soon as they have some ?
There is also a Warehouse in Sydney & in Melbourne

Example : The 3 I purchased today were all 115ah (upgrading my Leyburn Observatory Power supply) Individually, these batteries New cost near $300 each ! I scored all 3 for $300, yep, $100 each, thats a saving of $550-600, Admittingly, they are 12months old or a TAD MORE, BUT THEY ARE TOP RANGE nEW BATTERIES TO START OFF WITH, AND THEY HAVE BEEN LOOKED AFTER ? , Dam, hit the Caps lock, Lol.
These batteries are good for 7-10 yrs, so 12months on the shelf looked after should not bother them, very little if any ! !

If you are interested, PM me , , Or if any questions/discussion, post here, Ill drop in evry now & then ?

Only down side is : Only a 1 week warranty ? so, one would need to 'cycle' them asap to see if they perform, I doubt there be any problems, there are always the odd faulty one, even New ?

I'll add a photo (tomoro, hopefully) of the ones I have with details. Along with a List of last seasons battery types, sizes prices, for an idea of what can be had ! !

What I may also do, in future, is place any items in the 'For Sale' area, as they come to hand ! I might also add, if you decide to purchase such a battery or three, then purchase & Pick up will be your responsibilty !

Hope this helps some of us who find such $$$ hard to come by !

Cheers

Larryp
27-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi Bob-you can buy them on Ebay through a dealer called Battery-ehome (irenehang). I get mine through her and she has them shipped directly from the warehouses. As you say, they are more than 1 year old, but are top quality, some with 10 year life span.
I got 4x40 Ah agm batteries that normally sell for almost $300 each for $50 each plus freight.
:)

astronobob
27-02-2013, 08:58 PM
Thanx for that Laurie, A great find & price for yours also, AGM are quality batteries for sure ! Quality bargains are out there, hence why I have posted this up ! May be other battery warehouses about & close by others to save freight charges, todays 70k return trip in my beep beep @ 18k per liter was easily well worth the effort !

Attached is an Item list of last seasons deals from Briz, all gone now, though gives a good idea of what can be available, ! Bargain : ) :thumbsup:

astronobob
27-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Battery Pic's

niko
28-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Could I have the Melbourne warehouse details please?

niko
28-02-2013, 09:44 AM
Laurie,

I can't find a reference to either Battery-ehome or irenehang...?

ta

niko

astronobob
28-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Ok, Thought it be better if I just throw up the Links Now I have them soughted :thumbsup:

All Details, Offices, Warehouses & Ph Numbers etc !

BatteryGuru Home page : http://www.batteryguru.com.au/index.html

' ' ' ' Contact Page : http://www.batteryguru.com.au/6.html

' ' ' ' Discount Page : http://www.batteryguru.com.au/25.html

Larryp
28-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Hi Niko
When you go into Ebay, click on the "advanced search" link at the top of most Ebay pages.
On the left side of the page, click the "by seller" link
Enter the sellers user ID (irenehang) and click the search button.
It will bring everything up for you
Cheers
Laurie:)

niko
28-02-2013, 04:42 PM
Doh!

Hadn't gone into the seller bit!

Thanks

Sarge
28-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Laurie / Bob

I think you are both talking about the same seller:

See http://www.batteryguru.com.au/6.html

Melbourne office contact details on right hand side of page:

Mobile: Irene Hang

Small world hey!!
:lol::lol:

Clear skies

Rod
:D:D

Larryp
28-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Sure looks like they are all connected, Rod.:)
I do know Irene Hang is just a representative selling batteries for companies-she doesn't actually have them herself.
But I have found her very good to deal with

astro_south
28-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up Bob - I'm just down the road from there, so very handy to know :thumbsup:

astronobob
12-04-2013, 08:14 PM
Good it helped you Andrew & any others out there :thumbsup:

Ill be looking for another 2-3 batteries there tomorow to finish my new Battery Bank

GrampianStars
12-04-2013, 09:14 PM
G'day Bob...
So how are you charging the bank ?
What configeration do you have there ?

4 x 115Ah/12v in parallel = 460 Ah/12V
4 x 115Ah/12v in series = 115Ah / 48v
2 x (2x 115Ah/12v in parallel =230Ah/12v) in series = 230Ah/24V

Love Solar off grid .... :thumbsup:

astronobob
13-04-2013, 07:53 PM
Hi Rob,
Yep, Charging with the 80w Monocryst Panel (Specs attached)

I have picked up a Powertech Regulater from Jcar which works with both wet and gel type batteries, has a 3stage charge cycle, Bulk, Absorbtion & Float stages. Max open circuit of 26V & Max short circuit of 10A, & Absorbtion charge voltage of 14.8V, so, perfect for the task without overkill !

The batteries are connected in parallel = 12V. I should be picking up another 3-4 batteries on Mon. This will give me near 7-800Ahrs, may have to build another stand to take the extra one or two.

Plus there are 3 other batteries there they said I could have for free, same 115Ahrs, but apparently leaking CCA's (Cold Cranking Amps) which will be good for something in the Obs, be it another seperate system as I dont want to mix them with the new Bank :thumbsup:

astronobob
13-04-2013, 08:14 PM
BTW, Ive chose to go the 12V system as everything runs on 12V or less apart from the Lappy, besides, a have the appropriate inverter for the 12V system, tho the amp draw is more than specified going off 12V. ie, lappy draws 3.4A @ 19V, so is approx drawing twice that off 12V?

That being said, I have ran the Lappy out at the Obs for 4 nights with the existing 12V bank of only 180Ahrs, and only a 20W solar panel which charges fully between new moons !
:thumbsup:

aworley
15-04-2013, 10:17 AM
This is great! I picked up two 75Ah batteries from Sydney....Thx for the heads up.

Astro_Bot
24-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the info on these batteries, Bob.

There's no info on payment or shipping. Are they a web-only business (CC or PayPal, etc.) and only ship to you, or can one collect at the warehouse and pay cash?

Also, I've e-mailed Irene but haven't yet received a reply. Did you reach her fairly quickly and was that by e-mail or phone?

astronobob
28-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Glad to hear you found something suitable, Quite a variety eh !

Soory for the late reply astro, PM'd on this , ,
Cheers :thumbsup:

astronobob
29-04-2013, 12:04 PM
Through messaging with Astro Bot, I thought it best to give the Brizzy Warehouse Contact Info, as it's not on subsequent web links in this thread !
The address for Briz warehouse is actually located in Acacia Ridge : http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=Acacia+Ridge,+Queensland&hl=en&ll=-27.583155,153.097572&spn=0.247092,0.402031&sll=-19.457034,145.879162&sspn=33.224554,51.459961&oq=acacia+Ridge&hnear=Acacia+Ridge+Queensland&t=m&z=12
Warehouse Location is: 23 Dulacca St.
Office (Anita) Ph No : 3711 5077

Astro_Bot
01-05-2013, 08:16 PM
Picked up a battery today - great price - that saved me a lot of money. Thanks, Bob. :thumbsup:

astronobob
08-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Good stuff AstroBot, Glad you found something suitable & saving $$ !
I have 5 now, hoping to add a few more ? Like most companies, they also having a clean out, end this financial year, so should be plenty additional bargains about in a couple months : )

mental4astro
08-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the thread, Bob. I've been making reference to this thread you started a couple of times already to share the love around.

Cheers!

Mental.

astronobob
09-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Good Stuff Alex, nothing wrong with sharing da luv around eh, Thanx for letting us know, it is appreciated :thumbsup:
HavagoodN !

khisa
13-11-2013, 07:17 PM
Hi,
Would you be able to provide the address of that Brisbane battery warehouse?
Regards
Khisa

RobF
13-11-2013, 11:12 PM
See post#20 above Khisa :thumbsup:

pmrid
05-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Here's an old thread that I thought I might revive.

I had to buy a couple of 105AH glass mat batteries for my caravan today and these guys quoted an excellent price for them. But better than that, they had a 150 AH glass mat battery in their "seconds or too old to sell " bin which they were happy to sell to me for $150 including GST and which they were quite sure would last for several years if handled properly. They would normally run to over double that wholesale. And they were really nice folks there - Anita still works there by the way.

The boss asked me how I heard about them and when I said an astronomy club he slapped himself on the forehead and shouted to Anita "Hey, here's another one of those star gazers." He was really quite taken by the fact that we were channeling business his way.

So now I have a 150AH deep cycle battery to take to Astrofest and hopefully run my whole rig without having to risk down time with the power grid at Duckadang. Yippee!!

Peter

codemonkey
05-08-2015, 05:22 PM
150Ah? Only problem is you have to carry it some how haha. My 105Ah is heavy enough for me! Great deal though, I paid $220 for my 105 and I thought that was a good deal.

RobF
05-08-2015, 08:55 PM
I'm wishing I hadn't skimped on a traditional lead acid truck battery now. Let the cells dry out too much. Should have plumped more for a gel matt same as my smaller batteries which are going strong after 4-5 years.

Agree you can't go past the friendly service though - best to allow an extra 15-20 mins for chatting if you visit :)

astronobob
28-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Update as see requests for address, 'be it some time ago. Note: battery stock has changed since this thread was newly activated/started.

Queensland Office - current
Address: 23 Dulacca St, Acacia Ridge QLD 4110
Telephone: (07) 3711 5077
Business Hours
Monday - Friday 8:00AM - 4:30PM

I havent been intouch with these guys for a couple of yrs, so things change, but the warehouse is still there and operating as far as web content shows.

Operating under same name, tho sections are different and the link I originally sourced them has gone.
Their 'online' specials only from Melbourne now - used to also be from Perth & Brizz, as in Acacia Ridge !
Link : http://batteryguru.com.au/special-sales.php

Also, here is their main Page :
http://yhipower.com.au/home/

Still worth contacting if interested in a decent battery which has just pasted its 'factory shelf life' of 12 months !

-
-
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanx for this feedback Peter, good to know as I need to upgrade a battery or two in near future. Wonder if Anita remembers me, probably as Ive apparently started a bit of a 'thing' - X-treme Star-Gazers,, Lol