PDA

View Full Version here: : What are your other hobbies?

Jezza94
27-02-2013, 04:03 PM
I got the idea of this thread by looking at the "Post a picture of yourself!" Thread, to get to know each other a bit better.

I'll start out.

Other than amatuer astronomy, I collect old bottles. I often go out on the weekend to house sites or old dumping grounds (as long as permission is granted) that date pre-1900 and use a probe to find old rubbish holes. I then proceed to dig up to 15 foot deep by hand to extract old bottles. Some worth a good amount of money and others that are lemons. Back in the day, most towns (even ones with populations of less than 200) had their own cordial factories, chemists etc which all had there own embossed bottles. I collect bottles that come from around me (warragul, korumburra, drouin, morwell, traralgon and bunyip) from Warragul alone, which was a town of around 100 back in 1880, there are around 30 different bottles.

I also go out metal detecting, looking for pre decimal coins and Jewellery. My oldest find dates to the year 1797, which is a Cartwheel Penny. For this activity, I use a Minelab CtX3030, which will set you back around $2,500. It is however, the most technologically advanced unit you can buy. You can pick up a good starter unit for around $350.

I have attached an image of a bottle from Korumburra that I recently dug. It is my favourite bottle at the moment. It is a Codd patent or marble bottle and dates to the 1890s. The embossing says "J. Lawrence Korumburra" and has a picture of a Lyrebird on it.

What are your hobbies?

Jeremy

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii49/Jeremy246/image.jpg

Kunama
27-02-2013, 04:24 PM
Freestyle Crosscountry Skiing and Alpine skiing in the winter, road cycling whenever there is no snow.

Nice collection of bottles you have Jeremy. Mine are still full of red wine but I am working through them.

Octane
27-02-2013, 04:24 PM
I've recently got into storm chasing and constantly have the Stormtracker site open on my iPhone and have become a lot more cognisant of the weather, and reading what's happening with the clouds. It's actually quite fascinating. I have started taking all my gear in to work in the off-chance something happens during lunchtime or after work. :D

I'm also a photographer. Couldn't imagine my life without a camera.

H

MrB
27-02-2013, 04:25 PM
This has been done a few times before:
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=35352
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=60589
http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=92795

And I think buried somewhere in those threads I may have said something like "I have too many to list!"
I may have also muttered something along the lines of "not enough time and money!" too ;)

Edit:
Expanding my reply:

Home brewing (All-grain) & collecting beer glasses and beer/brewing nostalgia
Home machining (lathe/Milling machines)
Storm chasing
Photography
Surfing (real, but yeah, web too ;))
Driving (I just enjoy going for a random drive sometimes)
Bonsai
Electronics
Model planes/boats/cars
loudspeaker design/building

Also, combining the above is very enjoyable... Astro+Photography+driving+machining +electronics(+beer)
or Models+photography+machining+electr onics(+beer)

the list goes on... many of these interests get neglected for long periods, like I said, not enough time or money

alexV
27-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Hey Jeremy
That is pretty awesome hobby you got. Can you post the picture of Cartwheel Penny.

As for me i got few hobies my self. They actually all my favorite.

1 Astronomy/Astrophotography

2 Professional Go Kart Racing
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/csiro/jjj.jpg

3 I got a 1000L Salt water fish tank which is pretty rewarding hobby
http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w297/csiro/P150408_1700.jpg

4 Martial Arts. I do Ninjitsu. Brown belt.

rmuhlack
27-02-2013, 04:52 PM
Apart from astronomy and photography, music is another passion of mine. My wife and I have a large collection of musical instruments - keyboards, drums and percussion, electric, acoustic and bass guitars, and brass. We both play in the local town band (me on drums, my wife on bass and vocals) which is lots of fun - music styles include jazz & blues, latin and big band swing, classic rock and even some contemporary pop.

We've also recently set up a home recording studio, but now the trick is deciding what to practice and record and then finding the time to actually lay down the tracks!

Fun times :)

CapturingTheNight
27-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Well apart from Astrophotography/astronomy, I like to fossick for and collect gemstones, and I do a spot of storm chasing from time to time.

Did you ever come up against a close friend of mine Bronson Butcher, Alex? I used to help him and his Dad at many Go-Kart meets around NSW and Vic. He is now over in the states trying to crack into Nascar.

Jezza94
27-02-2013, 05:22 PM
Hey OP, gemstone fossicking is a minor hobby of mine. I have found 9 sapphires with minor flaws this summer near Beechworth. Jeremy

Barrykgerdes
27-02-2013, 05:44 PM
I collect money but I keep needing to swap it for other things. As a result I don't have a very large collection and it gets regularly depleted.

Barry

blink138
27-02-2013, 06:46 PM
thats a great hobby jeremy i can relate to that..... and have wanted a saltwater fish tank for the last 10 yrs after having lunch at ciccerellos at freo harbour, they have the best salty tank ever!
i am a keen wine collector and i love collecting old wine glasses.... anything vinous at all
my latest glasses are from the 1920's and are the old fashioned champagne "goblets" supposedly designed to fit ms antoinettes lady bits..... but instead of the bubbles going flat because of the huge surface area they have hollowed stems and so the bubbles stay effervescent throughout...... rather exhilarating to drink from
love my hifi and vinyl records
pat

barx1963
27-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Main main non astro hobby is dancing, mainly rock'n'roll with a bit of swing/lindyhop and some balboa for good measure. Also read a lot (and I do mean a lot)
Have done lots of bushwalking but not so much in the past 10 years, did target archery until my shoulder packed it in.
Photography and fiddling with computers are also interests.

Malcolm

MrB
27-02-2013, 07:19 PM
You're not kidding!
The Aquariums that wrap around into the mens toilet are awesome too.
So is the one you stare into while standing at the urinal ;)

I have a bottle of 1990 Grange in the 'cellar'..... mine, all mine! :lol:

elfinke
27-02-2013, 07:21 PM
I play a range of sports; cricket, squash, football (soccer), golf (now that's an expensive hobby!).

I love my hifi gear, tinkering in PCs and I try to find spare time to play some games (currently playing through Asura's Wrath on PS3 and Faster Than Light on PC).

To round out the potentially expensive hobby collection, I am a coffee snob though luckily have settled with a sensible machine that didn't cost a fortune (Rancilio Silvia). But every time I see a heat exchanger machine on sale or second hand for sale I begin to wonder... :lol:

JB80
27-02-2013, 07:24 PM
Having the kids and living in Belgium has really knocked any hobbies on the head including astronomy(more to do with the weather than kids here).

-I have a small meteorite collection that I'd love to expand on and ideally would want to go out hunting myself.
-I was pretty big into coarse angling too and fishing in general and now I am starting to gather some kit together again.
- I also have a fairly big Muse collection and some others too, lots of vinyls and rare promos etcetera but I have completely fallen out of love with collecting music and am looking to sell some of it off soon.
-Travel
-Family, not so much a hobby but they do take up most of my time and it's very enjoyable.

OICURMT
27-02-2013, 07:33 PM
Casual Hobbies: Gemmology, Zymurgy, Aqua Vitae, Vinum
Social Hobbies: FPS (only one... AA2)
Professional Hobbies: Geoscience, Computer Programming
Serious Hobbies: Oil & Gas, VC

ZeroID
27-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Been a serious amateur photog for about 35 years. Killed more cameras than I can remember.
Into Motorsports as a photog and rally driving till money ran out
Was into boats bigtime but got too expensive, add fishing to that.
Cooking good food, good red wine, good beers .
Collect Single Malts but the evaporation factor is apalling !! Same goes for the red wine.
I don't collect 'things' anymore, they just take up too much room.
Steam Punk gear and themes
Music and sound systems
DIY not only for astronomical but all sorts of things.

I keep busy ... yeah.

barx1963
27-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Mine is an '84.

Malcolm

LewisM
27-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Astronomy - mainly astrophotography - of course, but:

Collecting and shooting military firearms up to 1945. Predominate focus is on German military firearms 1898 to 1945. Bayonets feature as well.

Photography of all genres, but especially portraiture.

Scale Model aircraft making and collecting - more collector than maker seeing I have no time for the past 7 years! Well over 7000 kits, 90% of which are 1/48 scale.

Chif
27-02-2013, 09:46 PM
I loove camping and 4WDing, that'd have to be right up there on my list.

I like to snowboard as well, however after moving to Adelaide the chances for this have dropped a fair bit, it's always a massive effort to get to the snow.

Umm shooting and hunting, photography, electronics (although that's part of my job as well, so it's becoming less and less of a hobby). I also like to fix up cars and do a few other things.

I keep on getting more and more hobbies, and they always seem to be the expensive ones, and the missus doesn't like that very much haha. She loves to camp though so I consider myself lucky.

vic4loc
27-02-2013, 09:48 PM
Main hobby: Astronomy/Astrophotography of course

Casual hobbies: WWII aircraft modeling (mainly 1:72 scale), computer gaming (air combat flight sims, World of Warcraft), a bit of electronics tinkering

Serious hobby: Options & CFD trading

marc4darkskies
27-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Skeet shooting. I own 12G Miruku Mk10 Grade 3 U/O 30" barrel like the one pictured below.

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47cPDcmf8mk to see what skeet is.

Wavytone
27-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Main hobby is paragliding - simply because I can fly more often than use my telescope.

In previous decades... sailing, judo and competition ballroom dancing.

alan meehan
27-02-2013, 10:17 PM
Well mainly Astronomy ,astrophotography and storm photography also
collect and read biggles books by We Johns have over 300 books ,these are
war and crime stories for boys going back to the 1930s
Also like gardening ,large vegie garden and flower gardens
AL

LewisM
27-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Japanese all round eh Marc! - Takahashi and Miroku - good combination ;)

Must buy me something Baader to go with my German stuff - heck, even drive a VW :) :D

acropolite
27-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Biggles books, brings back memories, I still have a few from my youth, occasionally I re-read them.

When I think about it, I have far too many hobbies and far too little time to enjoy them. Photography, Boating & fishing and Mountain Biking are the main time and money wasters at the moment.

Regulus
27-02-2013, 10:47 PM
Transcribing and learning some of the early blues guitarists works from 1925-1950. Time consuming (transcribing) and fully satisfying being able to play them myself.
Otherwise SF novels and photography.

Trevor

blink138
27-02-2013, 11:07 PM
1 / 82, 1 / 85 magnum , 4 / 86
a good core of late 80's and 1990 french claret was purchased when i was much younger at local auctions (and when it was much more affordable)
and if you have not had a good german riesling....... well you have not lived!
pat

gaa_ian
27-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Well, there are quite a few:
Current:
* Running an astronomy Club
* Festival Director
* Writing and playing Music (Uke)
* Radio Announcer
* Fossicking (Gems and Gold)
* Collecting good Red Wine (and drinking it)
* Sailing
* Photography
* Weather Watcher/Stormchaser.
* Gardening
Previous/occasional:
* Hang Gliding
* Bush walking
* Snow Sking

I am sure there are 10 other hobbies I have left out there !

simmo
28-02-2013, 12:52 AM
Cool thread Jezza,

Love the idea of your bottles mate. Can't remember how many I've stumbled across when working around in rural areas. You can always tell the older ones as they are much more arty than anything we produce today. Kind of goes for anything a bit older, seems like a bit more love in the detail. I love old buildings with their creative architecture and the detailed craftmenship. Just don't see it today and I think that's what makes the older things special.

As for hobbies my lovely wife and I have recently taken up indoor rock climbing after watching some cool docs on freestyle rock climbing. Hoping to one day tackle a more serious climb. It's a great way to spend some time with the wife as its a team thing and you have to work together.
Starting to see the results too which is suprising after only under a month into it. We are coming up with some great life mottos. After not completing a climb my wife said she felt a bit like a failure (it was pretty tough for her) but I said failure is "not getting off the ground". She later replied failure is "not trying at all". That was priceless. :)

Love my motorbikes too. Nothing better than winding country roads and creeping up the middle in suburbia to smoke tintops (and cruisers!:lol:) off at the lights. Nothing but clear road ahead and no agro bumper car users. :D

Cheers
Simmo ;)

P.S. Astronomy too, that's a given!:D

mr bruess
28-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Current favorite hobbie
Photography with my digital camera

Irish stargazer
28-02-2013, 06:38 AM
Apart from astronomy and collecting telescopes and astro gear, I also have a fair collection of fishing rods and like to wet a line whenever I can.
Music is my other interest. Completed my music performance diploma a few years ago after two years of hard practice.
Entertaining my wife and eating out takes up the remainder of my time. Life is good.

Barrykgerdes
28-02-2013, 08:34 AM
I still like biggles books but gave most of my collection to my brother who has quite a large collection.

Have you seen Roger Harris's web site www.biggles.info (http://www.biggles.info) It chronicles all the W.E Johns books. If you are interested I have extracted all the information into a file that you can read off line. However it is 86MB long!

Have a look at the attached document. (the links won't work without the database)

Barry

Darth Wader
28-02-2013, 08:58 AM
Barely have time for this hobby any more let alone others, however I used to enjoy writing, gardening and home brewing.

Barrykgerdes
28-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Must be a good brew then!

casstony
28-02-2013, 09:34 AM
A very popular hobby Barry :)

Having survived dirt bikes and hang gliding as a youngster, I'm now a respectable middle-aged gardener and casual astronomer. I also took up high speed, adrenalin charged dog chasing for a while until we resorted to an electronic zapper to keep the little bugger in.

jjjnettie
28-02-2013, 11:09 AM
:) I inherited from my mother, a collection of 6 glasses that had been given to her by the Duke of Gloucester. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Henry,_Duke_of_Gloucester
She was in service at "Green Hill" where the Duke and his family stayed whilst in Australia in the mid 1940's. She became very friendly with the family, and she was often invited to join them on their day trips, picnics, drives to the beach.
He was very fond of a drop, notoriously so LOL
I've attached a photo of the glasses. There are 2 of each type. :)
My sister has the photos from this time, including a photo of a very young Prince William (deceased) which he signed for her.

04Stefan07
28-02-2013, 11:55 AM
Here are mine:

1) Astronomy and Astrophotography
2) Building scale models (military, cars, terrains, space, sci-fi)
3) Photography
4) Collecting coins and bank notes (have quite a nice collection), collecting figurines as well

Varangian
28-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I rarely find the time to get outside and set the scope up as I'm way too tired after 9pm when I get the two kids to bed.

I used to enjoy 4WDriving, fishing and camping but kids changed that.

I enjoy sampling beer, watching a bit of AFL, tinkering in the shed and playing the odd game of AD&D (Advanced Dungeons and Dragons).

I'm an archaeologist by trade and it takes up many of my waking hours, and I'm sometimes away on a dig for weeks on end.

Cheers.

Lee
28-02-2013, 12:47 PM
There must be a bunch of us in this boat! Our 3 month old has just started sleeping through, so I'm dusting off the obs..... I'm looking forward to winter, when you can get in a couple of hours before 9/10pm....

I also tinker with some wood work, have filled the garage with machinery, so much that my car now lives on the driveway.... :)

gaa_ian
28-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Great story Nettie, brushes with Fame seem to run in your Family :D

sheeny
01-03-2013, 06:54 AM
Ahem... I collect hobbies.:rolleyes:

Apart from Astronomy, which is currently suffering from cloud pressure and a moderate amount of apathy...

Photography - its suffered a bit from apathy lately too;
Music - Playing guitar, modeling with FLstudio, and listening:) (I also like to write my own stuff rather than covers);
Dancing - rock'n'roll, rockabilly, 'bug and an ever decreasing amount of swing (used to be in a demonstration square dance team in my younger days - that's where the girls were;));
Home Foundry - my latest hobby - not that I needed it - all built, first metal pour when we are out of the fire season.
Motorcycling - reasonable active ATM - touring, and playing about at trials;
Farming - always active here, there's no choice, but at least its usually a bit flexible so I can do other things;);
Computer programming - haven't done much for a while...
Four Wheel Driving - actually been doing a bit lately - teaching learners and making use of nasty weather;
Bushwalking - haven't done much in a long while but I need to get back into it and get some weight off!
Caving, canyoning, abseiling - used to do them. Should get back into them... There's just the small matter of time (OK age as well:rolleyes:);
Vertical rescue, Rescue and Land Search - no longer involved due to politics.
Commanding tanks - only to happy to help out one of my mates who collects, restores and runs antique tracked military vehicles whenever I can.
Camping - don't do as much as I used to, but we still camp occasionally.
Metalwork and woodwork - I'm pretty basic with wood work, not a joiner/cabinet maker by any means! ...but I'm always tinkering.

...oh, that'll do...

:)

Al.

cybereye
01-03-2013, 09:17 AM
I'm not sure if it counts as a hobby, but I do have an interest in Palaeontology. There are quite a few fossils scattered around the house in display frames and as ornaments. I do not count as one of the fossils!

I also collect the odd meteorite when I find them... in shops, markets, gem shows,etc.

I also used to enjoy playing Golden Oldies Rugby but those glory days are now behind me.

Cheers,
Mario

tilbrook@rbe.ne
01-03-2013, 09:40 AM
Many hobbies over the years,

When younger and fitter.

Observed trials, motor cycles.

Pony express, motor cycles.

Sidecar racing, off road.

Squash was a favourite.

Now.

History, especially Australian and local.

Currently, Astronomy of course since the early 1970's.

Building telescopes, particularly reconstructing my great great granfathers telescope.

Restoring and collecting Mini's.

I have a 1968 deluxe, 1976 S and a 1963 850 which I'm slowly working on.

Cheers,

Justin.

blink138
01-03-2013, 11:02 AM
oh nettie...... now thats what i am talking about!
pat

blink138
01-03-2013, 11:10 AM
here are my current favourites........ not the most in focus but i love drinking from these
this particular stem took me initially 12 years to find the first pair..... now i can afford to pass pairs on to my favourite people ha ha!

Baddad
01-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Some interesting hobbies there.

I have enjoyed:

Visiting wineries and collecting wines. Have been to wineries in every state.:drink:
Fishing, particularly off shore.:fishing:
Computer programming and reverse engineering programs.:innocent:
Some photography.
Dancing, I used to teach ballroom and rock n roll
Hunting.
Gardening.
Woodworking and metal working.
Gem fossiking, I had a collection of opals and other gems. My sister said it was junk and threw the lot out. I don't speak to her any more.:mad2:

Collecting music / tracks. Mostly Pop. I have about 60,000 tracks dating back to early 1900's and up to early 2000's All digital.

Camping:campfire:

Cheers:)

sgazer
01-03-2013, 04:54 PM
Astro
Photography
4x4
Car mechanics
computers
Home DIY (plastering, plumbing, roofing (internal and external), fencing, electrical, brick laying, painting, wall papering etc etc)
Fishing
Kayaking
Electronics (professional too)
child care (my own)
All forms of tech and engineering
karate
camping

As always...so many hobbies yet so little time and money....

With 2 young kids and no family around to help, unforutunately I get little time for any of these, so tend to have a go at one then move on to another. Hopefully, when they get older, the kids can join in more too, even though they are 2 girls, they always like Dad's stuff.

The missus might even get a job when she gets fed up of her coffee chats LOL!

MrB
01-03-2013, 08:59 PM
I forgot to include Pinball in my list.
Love pinball! Always wanted to own a couple of machines, and would already if I could, but I don't even have the space for one :(
Always annoys me when I see the guys on American Pickers get a machine for $100 or something, or knock back another because it is $200..... damn things cost a couple of grand here :(

ving
01-03-2013, 09:28 PM
hmm... photography (wildlife mainly but generally anthing but people), cycling a bit... well i am trying but circumstances have stopped my lately and bushwalking...

I am also the founder and co-manager of the Campbelltown Carp Eradication Program (CCEP). ;)

ving
01-03-2013, 09:32 PM
I am a member of the skeet protection society... skeets deserve a life too! :rofl:

skytry
01-03-2013, 09:42 PM
hi Jeremy & others,
an interesting topic,
my interests are,
Traveling Aus, with caravan,
and researching Aus also,
Lawn Bowls Aus wide,
Fishing / Porta Boating, southern lakes, rivers,
Fishing northern Aus, beach & river,
Astronony / Astrophotography, just starting out,
and learning & enjoying the Northern skies, sooooo good,
having refractor scopes for travel & camera's there is plenty for
me too entertain myself,
and hoping dementia doesn't catch me, or the other,
regards,
Peter

Rodstar
02-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Good to see that there are a few other lovers of the water of life (Aqua Vitae), to wit, Single Malt Whisky. This was my collection a few months ago. Since then, I have emptied about half of them, and added yet more...More current favourites are from Ardbeg and Lagavulin, the very peaty malts.

Other hobbies: French language, health & fitness, along with astronomy.

PCH
02-03-2013, 08:34 AM
I love the pics of your minis Justin. I had one like the one on the right, but the colour of the one on the left when I was younger. I'm 6'2'' so it wasn't an obvious choice, - but it was back in the days around 1974 when petrol went bananas price-wise and you couldn't sell petrol guzzlers for luv nor money.

I loved it. It could go like the clappers too. I drove it all the way from Cornwall to Leeds in Yorkshire at 85 (mph) most of the way and it didn't miss a beat. Fond memories indeed. :)

ving
02-03-2013, 08:44 AM
oh and ever since Ureal and quake came out I have been an avid online gamer of the FPS type.:)

multiweb
02-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Just took up looking at downpours through my window hugging my telescope. :sadeyes:

taminga16
02-03-2013, 08:56 AM
Cars and Motorcycles.
Music and Fine art.
Is reading a hobby or a habit?

Greg.

blink138
02-03-2013, 11:26 AM
ha simon where you one of those people that used to haunt the "pinny hall" on old rocky sea front in the 70's? provided you grew up in rockingham of course!
also the annual summer fair behind the yacht club was great fun for local teenagers
pat

MattH
02-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Flying RC Helicopters. I have got seven :screwy:, six Blade and one Align (the information is valid as of time of writing; the number may decrease at any time). They make me very happy, especially when I bring the bird home in one piece. Unfortunately, sometimes the ground hits the helicopter ;).

MrB
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
LOL no, I wasn't born 'till '75 :lol:
But I know the 'pinny hall', have seen photo's of it.
I do remember the fair behind the yacht club, it used to be great. It was kinda like a mini sideshow-alley at the Royal Show.
There also used to be a place with a heap of trampolines next to the yacht club. Great times as a kid. Sad that it's all gone now.
During the 80's I used to haunt 'Rolands' (aka 'Seaspray Takeaway') on Bent street (across the road from Banyandah Deli) which usually had about 3 or 4 pinnie's. They were rotated with new machines(or old) quite a lot, so there was always something new to master.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
02-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Thanks Paul!

No doubt about Mini's, fun to drive and put a smile on my face every time I'm in it!
I love it when I pull into a super market car park, I always find a spot to park while all those in large SUV's and 4wd are circling the car park trying to find a spot to fit.

Cheers,

Justin.

MrB
02-03-2013, 01:12 PM
When I was only a little bub, my dad was driving around in a 1300 MkII Cooper S.
He loved it, and still talks about it to this day, but sadly he ended up rolling it which is a real shame as it would have been an awesome hand-me-down :thumbsup:

Ric
02-03-2013, 01:14 PM
While most of my time is taken up with work and the RFS, there are a few other hobbies / interests that I have.

Golf - apart frome a few outings to golf courses, we have our own course with holes set up and maintained on different farms in the area.

Permaculture - I enjoy practising the principles of Permaculture on our farm and reaping the rewards of organic fruit and veg.

Bee keeping - A fascinating pastime with obvious rewards of wonderful honey.

Motorbikes - Currently have two BMW's a K75c and a R1200c

I also enjoy photography and computer games like C&C and Starcraft.

BlackWidow
03-03-2013, 09:15 AM
Apart from astronomy I have always played Drums and have been in many bands. Even had a jam with Jimmy Barnes and the boys years ago. I am a lover of anything that flies and have had more model planes that you would find in a model shop. Most have been crashed and smashed. From little things big things grow and I now own my own 2 seat jabiru aircraft. I started out flying micro light trikes and have now changed to 3 axis flying.

The only thing I have tried to collect and failed is the time needed to do all the things I enjoy. Work just gets in the way of a good time for me. Anyway off the the news agent to buy another lottery ticket.

Mardy

MrB
03-03-2013, 11:50 PM
:thumbsup:

louie_the_fly
05-03-2013, 04:22 PM
I collect "stuff". Anything that's old and/or unusual. I also like old clocks. Amongst others, I have a 1918 Westclox Sleepmeter which I believe is haunted...

We're into 4WD'ing, camping & water sports.

I've had a lifelong obsession with things that go fast - boats, cars, aircraft, LSR, etc. I've been into traditional hotrods & custom cars for years, and I love nostalgia drag racing.

We go to watch our son play football. Have only missed 1 game in 12 seasons. Very enjoyable, but not necessarily always relaxing. We also go to the occasional SANFL footy match. Not into AFL - tis rubbish.

Played club cricket up until 2 seasons ago.

We've recently got into artisan food making. Cheese, breads, etc. Nothing beats a piece of homemade Camembert on a chunk of warm crusty bread. Have been a home brewer. Soon I will try my hand at wine making.

I like music, and we enjoy catching up with friends for a meal and a beer.

And I like astronomy. :thumbsup:

bcmalloy
13-03-2013, 03:13 PM
gaming, swimming, reading and of course chasing ladies

roddz
14-03-2013, 10:14 AM
Surfing
Hovercrafting

Amaranthus
05-12-2014, 05:22 PM
Now that I've moved to the countryside, aside from giving wonderful dark skies for astronomy, I've once again revived my dormant hobby/sport of traditional longbow archery (target and clout). It's a fantastic way to relax and yet remain strong and supple. I also got a motard dirt bike to complement my road motorcycle - I've got 6km of fire trails on my property to hoon around on!

cometcatcher
05-12-2014, 10:17 PM
Strewth, I have my finger in everything.
Ham radio. Building electronic gadgets. Building radios.
RC electric planes and gliders.
IR cloud photography.
Weather watching via NOAA satellites. Built the receiver and antenna.
Cycling.
Lucid dreaming.
Coin collecting.
Collecting cats. :P
Hunting ghost hunters. :D
Microscopy. Can't forget that. I spent hours looking at things.

nebulosity.
06-12-2014, 07:38 AM
My major hobby is astronomy obviously, mainly to do with astrophotography.

I also like playing around with photography on drones and with FPV etc.

I keep busy designing and building stuff, from radio antennas to catamarans, RC gear to telescopes. Computers, CNC, image editing etc, is all fun to.

Love water skiing, land yachting, and going for a burn on the motor bike with my mates. :thumbsup:

Jo

astronobob
06-12-2014, 08:18 AM
mmm Golf - tried it a few times, but realised that vigorousely fanning a small white ball on a tiny stick with a large wooden club on a long stick got a bit boring and frustating ;)

When i left home early age 14, maybe i was kicked out - cant remember or dosnt matter, I took up living on the streets, a challenging hobbie with little income but things improved when I learnt breaking into houses :rofl:
Before then I collected ciggerettes - the ones in the ol-mans Kingswood Boot ;)
I got good at nickin-- um -collecting stuff, mainly for survival purposes :eyepop: ha ha, just-a-kiddin- Yas

So, hobbies ive done, billycarts - won my primary school billy cart comp, had to build your own, mainly 2ndhand timber and rusty bent nails, but I scored a good set of pram wheels !
Did a bit of lead guitar for a dozen yrs
Have always had a motorcycle at my disposal - currently a zzr1100 sports tourer,, looking at the Ninja 1400 in a year or two :thumbsup: have also a project bike being an 83' Boldore 900 - so another hobby is being a back yard Mech.
Bread Goldfish in the '90's, also had a few 3 & 4ft tropical aquariums nicely aquascaped and kept clean
Horticulture, organic gardening, well, as much as can on a standard suburban block.
Small tool & workshop shed, alway somethin to build/repair/weld or destruct in there ,,,
Fishing and tinnie boats were a major passtime for several yrs.
Martial arts for a few yrs aswell - Kempo - 'one punch one kill' tho I havent mastered killing anyone - - - yet :D
Always enjoy my own besser block built wood fuel Bbq and enjoy sitting around with a ice cold Rumbo - sometimes its good to cook on aswell ;)
Have always kept my eye on the weather/storms.
Body surfing, camping, bush walking with the occasional standard mountain climb, not as much now with a crook back.
Drugs are a fine hobbie :eyepop: mainly painkillers and antacids, oh - did I mention F**ting :lol:
One which prob started as a hobbie but now more inline with a 'lifestyle' is, not taking life too seriousely - one largh you miss out on is one you dont catch up on :thumbsup:

speach
06-12-2014, 09:06 AM
I do, Faceting, Fossicking, Photography, Travelling, camping (caravan) Bush Walking, Gardening (I'm forced into doing that by SWMBO),

koputai
06-12-2014, 09:51 AM
Hmm, astronomy is actually one of my minor hobbies.......

HiFi
Diving
Sailing

Mountain biking - The most fun you can have. Full stop.

Cheers,
Jason.

xelasnave
06-12-2014, 01:46 PM
I draw stuff, been trying to master the three string cigar box guitar.
Trying to rebuild a wood boat.
Lately mostly exercise day long getting back to normal.
I do enjoy cage fighting dvds and general relativity

jenchris
06-12-2014, 02:04 PM
Boating/sailing - being in the Navy 12 years helped that along. Had a nice 37 foot John Alden when I lived in Bermuda.

Diving - useful when my boat sank - at least I got to use it still. Bermuda was fantastic for diving.

Camping - got used to that in the Navy as well. My tent is nicer than issue ones and easier to put up. Don't have to carry it as far either.

Shooting - got real good at that My service docs have X on them (expert) - ended up as a shoot captain at the pistol club. Good survival tool - get to collect skins as well, though I don't have any at present.
Gave it up when Jack Boot Johnny decided we weren't to be trusted and wore a flack jacket under his shirt. A##hole

Bushwalking - sometimes. Though I get bored walking behind people so don't do it as often as I might.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
06-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Like it Bob!!:rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Needed a good laugh!

Cheers,

Justin.

Monstar
06-12-2014, 03:37 PM
I used to box as a kid, first with Barking Boys Club and was then scouted and took to Repton. didnt really make the grade and they started using me as a punch bag for better fighters and I slowly stopped going but kept up my training. I still train nearly everyday and that's the closest I have to another hobby.

Reading back through others replies there's stuff that I'd like to do like storm chasing and I've always wanted a metal detector.

OzStarGazer
07-12-2014, 12:51 PM
Photography, poetry, art, maths, classical music, nature, hiking,... I would like to go camping too, but it's a bit difficult (for many reasons).

cometcatcher
07-12-2014, 04:38 PM
I don't see too many people admit to that! More power to you Oz.

Personally, I'm allergic to the noise that is played on most radio stations these days.

el_draco
07-12-2014, 04:44 PM
Disregarding astronomy, I am big time into outside stuff especially land rehabilitation and ecology; used to do raptor rehab but I'm not fast enough to avoid injury anymore. Love kids and showing them the universe.

OzStarGazer
07-12-2014, 05:17 PM
Thank you. :) I LOVE classical music. My radio is always tuned on ABC Classic FM and I also play the piano 3 hours a day. Always classical stuff if not technical exercises. Right now I am in a Beethoven mood. It has been an all-Beethoven day. :ashamed::nerd:

astronobob
07-12-2014, 09:57 PM
:evil: :face:

Sconesbie
08-12-2014, 08:48 AM
I like SCUBA diving. Tassie has some of the best cooler temperature diving around. Average of about 14 deg c. The coldest I have done is 6 deg at Lake St Clair (just to say we have done it). Mind you, we were only in the water for about 20 minutes.

I enjoy listening to 80's and 90's music. Not much of a fan of the music today. The lyrics are far too repetitive and no imagination in them.

I am also a volunteer firefighter. I have been doing this for 15 years and love it.