PDA

View Full Version here: : Anyone with a 60Da care to give a brief review?

gregbradley
26-02-2013, 08:42 PM
I am looking to get a 2nd DSLR/Mirrorless camera modified for some astro work, mainly nightscapes and night time lapses.

I would have preferred full frame but I have been told a modded camera is not ideal for nightscapes. Although I really like Alex's recent Milky Way panorama with a modified Sony Nex 5.

It seems to me to boil down to just a few choices. Tge Sony Exmor 16.3mp sensor APSc sized is in quite a few cameras and whilst it varies in noise performance in different brands it is a powerful sensor. Clean, high resolution, high dynamic range.

Bodies that have that chip are Fuji XE1 and Xpro 1, Sony Nex 3N, 5N, 5R and 6 (5R and 6 have the latest version of it which has autofocus pixels on the sensor itself), Nikon D7000, Pentax K5 models.

The next choice seems to be Canon EOS and most seem to be good. I am not sure one is much more of a standout than the others or does one -- (60D??) (except perhaps the 5D2,3 or 6D full frame). 60Da may be sensible in that regard. It doesn't need to be modified nor need a special filter for day shots.
But it probably cuts IR is less flexible than another type of camera with the clear filter modification.

Anyone using one care to give their impression of this camera?

Greg.

bojan
26-02-2013, 09:18 PM
I am very happy with 60D.
Noise and banding are significantly lower compared to 400D.
Articulate screen is fantastic thing - very useful for focusing and aiming.
File size is large (20MB), so stacking takes longer.. but all in all, very happy.

Octane
26-02-2013, 09:36 PM
Don't forget the uber software support you get with the light side. :P

H

Rod771
26-02-2013, 09:58 PM
Hi Greg

I probably wont be able to give you a very detailed review, as I'm just starting out in AP and the 60Da is the first DSLR that I have owned. I cant really compare it to another DSLR camera, but I've got to say I'm impressed with mine.

Its versatility was a big factor for me (well, when comparing it to a CCD camera that is) To be able to use it for nightscapes , piggy backed on the scope and also through the scope was very appealing.

The flip out LCD screen is very handy, even when just using the camera on the camera tripod, saves the back and neck from getting too sore.

Daytime shots are good - when on auto setting some things turn out a little red/warm but switch it manual and use the custom WB and the images look fine.

One point I can definitely say and this probably applies to most of the EOS camera's, is that its strong . Mine fell of the tripod the other day at a height of 730mm onto the tiles and its fine. Mind you it took me a couple of hours to be fine afterwards.

I only have the one lens at the moment (borrowed from my sister) , Canon EF 75 - 300. I'm waiting for a Hyperstar lens to arrive and also a Tokina 11 - 16 lens.

Here's a pic of the Moon and Jupiter
@ 300m Exp 1/3200 ISO 2000 F5.6
single Jpg shot cropped.

rogerg
26-02-2013, 10:50 PM
I borrowed one from a fellow astronomer on a dark sky night a couple of months back. I tried a bunch of shots wide field.

My comparison was my 7D taking shots on the same night. I did a bunch of shots but the most direct comparison was with the 8-15 F/4 L fisheye on the east hemisphere at the time (jupiter - orion - LMC).

I was not blown away by the 60Da. My enthusiasm was much more lacklustre than I expected. Yeah, a bit of different, Barnard's loop more obvious so would require less exposures with the 60Da, obviously in the red nebulosity, but I went away from the night basically forgetting about the camera. I didn't think the 60Da would get me a winning shot where the 7D wouldn't have, and that's how I think about these such purchases. It's only your post which made me remember that I tested the camera.

Recently I had been thinking down the exact same lines I think you are. Wide field for more detail - modified DSLR or camera lens on an astro CCD or such to punch out more detail in shorter time. The 60Da didn't really come back to mind. Other cameras like the 6D and 5DIII have. 8300C + lens got written off on poor sensitivity reports.

I can dropbox RAW's from the night if you want. PM me if so.

Roger.

leinad
26-02-2013, 11:33 PM
I may be selling my 60D in March.
If you're interested in non-a version let me know.

gregbradley
27-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks Rod, Roger and Leinad.

Its an interesting camera. I know the Ha alpha response is not as strong as a modded 550D. I saw a comparison shot, normal, 60Da and modded 550D. It was a step up in Ha from unmodded camera but modded 550D as similar again (perhaps a bit less).

The 20Da had other changes to it besides just the filter though. It had a different firmware which reduced noise and amp glow. I wonder if they did that with the 60Da as well.

Greg.

MrB
27-02-2013, 08:12 PM
Apparently not. They are supposed to have the same firmware, but then there was a firmware update that was to fix a problem with the 60D, but not the 60Da which supposedly didn't have the same problem, so.... :shrug:
http://www.canon.com.au/Support-Services/Support-News/Firmware-Updates/EOS-60D-EOS-60Da-Firmware-Update

As far as I know, amp glow is not an issue with Canon's anymore, so no need for a firmware fix.

To me the Canon advertising blurb kinda reads as though the 60Da has a lower noise sensor than the 60D, but then it is vague and open to interpretation.
Perhaps it is the exact same sensor but they picked the cream from each sensor batch for the 60Da's?
Who knows, but it could help explain the almost doubling in price.

The 20Da firmware also introduced Live View to the Canon range, which the 20D didn't have.

blink138
27-02-2013, 10:26 PM
tony halas gave a very glowing review of the 60da a month or so ago in astronomy....... i hope he is right!
pat

gregbradley
28-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Thanks for that tip.

Here are links to some of his image using a 60Da. The M8/M20 one is best but keep in mind its a $6,200 lens he was using.

http://www.astrophoto.com/Archway.htm

http://www.astrophoto.com/M8M20.htm

http://www.astrophoto.com/RhoOphiuchusNebulosity.htm

http://www.astrophoto.com/AnnularEclipse.htm

Greg.

gregbradley
28-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Here is one for sale 2nd hand and not so good example images:

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=812519

Greg.