PDA

View Full Version here: : disabling streetlights

Jezza94
21-02-2013, 08:12 PM
hi all, have a problem with a streetlight right outside my bedroom window. it lights my room up like a Christmas tree, not to mention my stargazing ability.

I did the right thing and contacted the council over a month ago albeit no reply.

So I decided to take it into my own hands, if i knew how too!

It is one of the lights that is on top of a wooden powerpole. I can't find a panel anywhere that would house a fuse or breaker switch. does anyone know where i can find a panel of some sort on them?

Jeremy

LewisM
21-02-2013, 08:20 PM
OK, most newer town lighting has power junction boxes somewhere along the street. In QLD, they are a grass-green colour, roughly rectangular and about half a metre tall. Ours is right over the road.

I sold a Maksutov to an Energex worker once. He told me he had the skeleton key to the box and COULD turn the major protagonist off. Shame he didn't.

Also, some streetlights work on a photoelectric sensor - when dark enough, they switch on the lights.I know of people who have made up a LONG pole with a coffee can on the end with an LED light inside. Cover the sensor with the can, which is illuminated inside, and VOILA - it thinks it is day. :)

My big problem, beside the incandescent street light directly opposite my viewing area is 6 mercury vapour street lights. THEY cast a bloody awful gradient in pictures.

Jezza94
21-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Hi Lewis,

Yeah this is a Mercury vapour light. extremely annoying and awfully bright. I'll have a look around for the box tomorrow. I'll also give the power company a call and if they don't fix it within 2 weeks, bye bye light.

I hate being destructive but I have had to put up with the light shining through my bedroom window for the past 3 years.

LewisM
21-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Destructive... careful there, seeing you are the one who has made requests to disable it, you will be the prime suspect :)

Find less destructive ways. IF you can see the sensor, I have heard of people arranging tripods with lasers strategically aimed at the sensor too. Reminds me to grab binos and see if I can see any sensor on the one across the street... :)

Astro_Bot
21-02-2013, 08:56 PM
I've heard from an Energex guy I know that (in Queensland at least) they might put a shield around part of the light if it is adjacent a property and causes a problem. What criteria they apply, if any, I don't know, but I imagine the street would have to remain illuminated. I guess you'll never know for sure unless you ask.

I'd ask the utility company directly, though they may direct you back to the council.

Allan_L
21-02-2013, 09:20 PM
I tried the same thing some years ago.
Even telling them I had a serious sleep disorder that this was affecting.
(on advise I did not mention astronomy pursuits).

Their caring reply - buy thicker curtains :mad2:

Good luck with that.

FlashDrive
21-02-2013, 10:04 PM
oooooooh....007 style ...secret agent stuff ... :lol:

Flash ..!!

Barrykgerdes
21-02-2013, 10:24 PM
I had no bother with street lights 60 years ago. I always had a 22 in the car.

Barry

Jen
21-02-2013, 10:29 PM
I have the same problem I'm thinking of walking under it with long stick with a thick paint brush hehe :D
:innocent::innocent::innocent:

mithrandir
21-02-2013, 10:34 PM
I have three of those indescribable in polite company mercury lights polluting my back yard and illuminating the trees. Plus a white light one coming from the other street.

The house is a battleaxe with no frontage on either of those streets.

h0ughy
21-02-2013, 10:35 PM
well they cant quite do that - 95% streetlighting is paid for by your local Council. You can make a formal complaint to your council and on your behalf they make the request to the electrical provider. in your request you can quote the requirements of the Australian standard outdoor lighting code AS 4282 .

putting the cutoff on the light - they have to do that because you requested it - the downside is that if they wish to keep to code the streetlighting they may install a second light:sadeyes: - that could be a downside.

if you dont get satisfaction there then you can make a complaint through your state ombudsman and follow that channel.

failing that, sinker and a sling shot:help:

LewisM
21-02-2013, 10:52 PM
SHHHHHHHHHHHH! Don't give anyone ideas!

Of course, holes in the street light may cause a few problems from boys in blue.

Try triangulated lasers first before resorting to crimes against light bulbs :)

pgc hunter
22-02-2013, 01:04 AM
Get a paintball gun with black paint balls. Clowncils are dogs 99.99% of the time so to hell with them...

No bullet holes, no loud gunshots..... Problem solved!

Stardrifter_WA
22-02-2013, 01:45 AM
Hi Jeremy,

I had a problem with a street light that shone back onto my property and the council wouldn't do anything about it. After a battle with the council, I approached my local member of parliament and he eventually had it shaded.

If it is causing a serious problem for sleeping, maybe you could get a letter from your doctor and contact your local member of parliament? Putting heavy drapes on your window wouldn't solve the problem, particularly if you can't sleep with the window closed ;) ;), for example.

Taking matters into your own hands could potentially be extremely risky from a liability point of view. If someone was injured because the light was disabled and you were discovered as the culprit, you could find yourself liable for any damages and you wouldn't be covered by any insurance, which could be catastrophic to your finances. Let alone, other criminal damage consequences.

So, I would strongly suggest that you contact your local member of parliament, after all, that is what he is there for. I did and he resolved the issue to my complete satisfaction. :)

Cheers Peter

Stardrifter_WA
22-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Hi David,

I contacted my electricity provider and was advised that I had to get permission from the council, who subsequently rejected it. Not satisfied, I then contacted my local member of parliament and he resolved the issue. Light shaded, me happy :) Me 1, Council 0

Councils appear to be a law unto themselves. After having the light issue resolved, over the strong objections of the council, I applied for a building licence to build my observatory. Having beaten them over the light, they made my life difficult over the building of my observatory. In the end they granted the licence but stipulated that the pad had to be made with reinforced concrete :confused2: Unbelievable, but true. I then had to argue that a 2.5m x 2.5m pad with a fibreglass dome does not require reinforced concrete, as it was not a high load bearing surface. In the end they approved it without the need for reinforced concrete. Me 2, Council 0 :lol:

The council don't like me and and the feelin' is completely mutual. :mad2:

Cheers Peter

JB80
22-02-2013, 02:34 AM
Shouldn't the "Right to enjoy your own property" laws cover this?
Upon a quick google of it I can't see much mention of light pollution but if it is obtrusive the surely it would infringe your rights.
Seems like a lot of catching up is required on LP laws. I agree with talking to your local member if you can't get a sane response from council.

At least you can communicate with your council ours are under instruction to speak only flemish even though it's a dual language country.

Ric
22-02-2013, 03:11 AM
What's a street light. :confused2:

My nearest street light is probably around 25km away. :D

Tandum
22-02-2013, 04:28 AM
A friend of mine attached a paint brush to a long pole and painted his annoying light with black paint. The paint was still there when they moved out :)

Tandum
22-02-2013, 04:33 AM
Nice one Ric. They just doubled the size of the bus shelter outside my place and put 6 fluros in it. It's now 3:30am, busses stopped hours ago but the fluros are still blazing away.

As a side note, who's paying for that wasted juice ? Me :sadeyes:

Saturn%5
22-02-2013, 07:15 AM
Im with Ric

But so is everything else :lol:

Barrykgerdes
22-02-2013, 07:44 AM
Here are a few suggestions for neighbours bright lights.
1. Place a mirror carefully to reflect the light back on their bedroom windows.

2. have an equally obtrusive light pointing their way operated by a light sensitive switch that turns it on whenever the offending light is on.

3. Similar device that plays loud music and party noises triggered by the light

It wont take them long to realise that the prblem stops as soon as the lights go out.

Street lights! well I have already seen many perfect methods posted (no further comment needed). However I have a few old car batteries that I can salvage the lead from.

Barry;):P:thumbsup:

stephenb
22-02-2013, 09:48 AM
I would suggest that this thread is advocating criminal damage to property owned council or energy suppliers and the comments made and the actions implied in those comments are totally irresponsible.

I am aware that 3 energy suppliers have been made aware of this thread and are monitoring the comments made by the members of this forum.

I rely (and in fact pay for through my energy bills) on safe and secure streets at all times and that includes adequate lighting at night.

You just cannot go around damaging street lighting and assets because you want a dark backyard for your telescope.

I ask you to take a step back, read what some of you have posted, then tell me I am completely wrong.

Feel free to criticise and laugh off my reply but I will comment no further on this.

LewisM
22-02-2013, 09:55 AM
May we inquire HOW you are aware of 3 energy suppliers being made aware of this thread?

WingnutR32
22-02-2013, 10:10 AM
I will happily laugh off your reply. Asking nicely does not work these days, I asked nicely and in the end was give 4 brand new streetlights surrounding my house because I asked for one street light to be modified as my nieces and nephews could not sleep... Thanks, hope that was funny for them.

swannies1983
22-02-2013, 10:22 AM
We have a dangerous bend out the front of our house. Cars would speed and then slide around the corner (more so in the wet), with several either spinning out or smashing the gutter. One guy broke his rear axle.

The wife and I came home one night to find skid marks that just ended before a tree. It looked as though the car was very lucky in that it stopped just before the tree.

I had enough of it and complained to the council. There is a light on the corner but it's not the best. I didn't particularly want a brighter light or more lights put up so I asked for those yellow and black reflector signs to be put there. The council investigated and agreed to put the signs up. Have only noticed one person spinning out since the council put up a signs and that was during the day. We haven't heard anyone skid/crash during the night.

So, positive for me as no more lighting was put up but bend now safer :).

In saying all this, I'm fairly lucky as there are no nearby street lights that interfere with my viewing/imaging. We are on a corner block and I'm surprised there's no light directly on the corner. Hopefully it remains that way otherwise it would be a problem for me.

AstralTraveller
22-02-2013, 11:14 AM
You poor thing. The crime rate must be horrendous.

Octane
22-02-2013, 02:18 PM
lol, touché.

H

mithrandir
22-02-2013, 04:28 PM
I thought the crime rate was proportional to the contrast. The brighter the highlights the less chance you'll see the burgular in the shadows.

CJ
22-02-2013, 09:07 PM
There are streetlights in Europe that are specifically designed to prevent unnecessary light pollution. I don't know if such a thing exists in Australia. If it does, they certainly didn't use them down my street. No horizontal, and some upward, dispersion control at all! And they look crap!

graphworlok
22-02-2013, 09:37 PM
Whatever you do, dont be like sk0t!

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/SkOt

2stroke
22-02-2013, 09:52 PM
Because his the snitch :) Though he does make some very good points we just have our bills up'd more by replacing street lights that people break. They do help with crime and would you want your child raped on a dark street. They do suck but instead of breaking or disabling them think of ways you can shield yourself from the light instead. You can setup fence extensions to block light and install blinds ect and have the benefits of safety these lights give us.:thumbsup:

JB80
22-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Studies seem to prove otherwise.
http://www.britastro.org/dark-skies/crime.html#noreduction
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2003/nov/21/ukcrime.immigrationpolicy
http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20110218135832/http://rds.homeoffice.gov.uk/rds/prgpdfs/fcpu28.pdf

And as the UK turns off more lights at night the more studies appear.

2stroke
22-02-2013, 10:03 PM
Those are bias facts from people whom are pushing against light pollution, come to the suburbs and then do your survey. Trust me buddie when your ripping stuff off you don't want to be seen :) Maybe look at the time in which these crimes mostly take place and factor that into the equation.

JB80
22-02-2013, 10:08 PM
The studies are there, many have been done by the police, government and councils who have no interest or dark sky agenda. Most do factor in the times seeing as that is the point of the study to begin with. These switch offs are not designed for a reduction in crime nor are they designed for astronomers and when the public start crying their fears about increased crime the authorities ran their own studies and found the results surprising themselves.
The numbers don't lie about it and even in some cases the results are mixed but it doesn't show increased crime rates, I'm afraid lights or no lights crime is probably something we will still have to live with.

Here is one from Oz that tells how crime fell during powercuts. http://asv.org.au/lpoll/lpdoc.htm

To be honest most people would be happy for a light shield not a turn off and that is a fair solution which also allows the public their street lighting. What is not acceptable is to be told to "buy thicker curtains".

I'll also add I'm in no way supporting the vandalisation of public property even if I can understand where the feeling one may need to do that comes from.

mithrandir
22-02-2013, 10:09 PM
If I was to put up a fence extension to block the Hg vapour I would need a 4 storey building permit, and lose my entire northern horizon.

I was going to say much the same about incorrect lighting as Jarrod.

Ric
23-02-2013, 03:11 AM
:lol:
Yep, the parrots keep pinching the fruit of the trees.

theodog
23-02-2013, 07:28 AM
:eyepop:Kangaroos got our parsley out of the garden last night!
Organised crime:shrug:

AstralTraveller
23-02-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't think anyone objects to sensible security lights but the problem is we are overwhelmed by insane insecurity lights. I've never resorted to vandalism (I'd need a palette of black paint just to make a start around here) but I can empathise with those who are thinking that way. I'd just ask whether it's worth the potential consequences.

Well, there is another crime committed in broad daylight. [I assume you don't have night parrots there.]

asimov
23-02-2013, 10:17 AM
Hmmm legally speaking, if something happens to the *street light in question*, you are toast - The only trouble with discussing illegal things in public hey..Got it in writing.

wasyoungonce
23-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Ok I'll Bite..... I think most people know the difference between jest and not and your also forgetting that there are people in this thread advocating legal ways to overcome light pollution issue. I do not advocate damage to public utilities but this thread does have some basic usefulness and this may be informative to users who have to put up with light pollution.

Sorry to burst your bubble what some people say and what they actually do is not the same and in any case saying you did something is not proof of illegality in a court unless you state it in court or an affidavit to police or magistrate. Of course you know people or energy suppliers cannot go an get names and addresses from users (I/P) on this forum without a police investigation, court order/warrant...and that won't happen on the information posted so far. Big brother is not watching and to say so is vexatious!

And some people see excessive lighting as nothing but light pollution. I also pay my bills and rely on street lighting but sometimes it is intrusive.....especially if it is shining into your bedroom at night....some people like cats some don't!

I agree but you can understand the frustration of people trying correct channels that lead nowhere and as I said what some people say they do and what they actually do are 2 different things. That said I agree with this, damage to public property is not on.

No not completely wrong..... but wrong on some accounts.

Not laughing it off but I feel that you made some statements that implied people were being watched ...the corollary of this they would be found and charged ...is laughable.

Jen
23-02-2013, 01:07 PM
:) :)

astroron
23-02-2013, 01:17 PM
You seem to have first hand experience;)
Cheers:thumbsup:

5ash
23-02-2013, 01:36 PM
When I was a kid in the UK street lights went out at 12pm except on major roads. I believe the same thing happened here in some states. Would make sense to save energy and as far as security goes everyone can see someone upto no good carrying a torch when every thing is dark and it's late.that way we could have dark skies in our gardens without attacking the street lights.
Philip:shrug:

Stardrifter_WA
23-02-2013, 04:56 PM
I remember reading in Sky and Telescope a few years ago about a campaign to have the lights turned off late at night due to an observatory being close by and in that article it stated that once lights were turned the crime rate actually dropped. Unfortunately, the article didn't state what town, from memory, but it makes some sense.

Think of Watergate. If the burglars in the Watergate building had turned the lights on, nobody would have noticed, but, they "did notice" some people poking around an office using torches, particularly since many other lights were on in the building.

I have always been of the opinion that leaving lights on just allows miscreants to see where they are going and what they can steal.

When I was young lights were turned out after 1am and at the moment our energy provider has ads on TV telling us to switch off during peak times, so why doesn't the government heed the same advise?

Our rates pay to leave street lights on, and this cost is rising, yet take a drive after 1pm in suburban Perth and you will see little traffic. Its a waste of money and energy. Dolt, they leave lights on so that they can make money! After all, how is the energy providing going to make lots of money when we are all asleep? Oh, I am definitely a cynic!

Davros
23-02-2013, 08:39 PM
House breaks predominately occur during the day. When nobody is home!