PDA

View Full Version here: : Should I upgrade firmware? - Synscan

Astroman
16-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Hi all,

I have just bought a second hand HEQ5Pro to later connect to EQMOD etc.. It came with Synscan v3.20.

Would it be worth it upgrading the firmware to a newer one? I understand that 3.20 does not support PC-Direct? I wanted to see if EQMOD would work with the HC while I save for a EQDIR adapter. Would connecting the HC via the PC cable and using a normal RS232-USB adapter work also?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
16-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi Andrew,

Glad you fnally got the mount.

Don't upgrade unless you absolutely have too!
I have read some horror stories of upgrades gone wrong, not completeting or crashing half way through requiring a trip back to the manufaturer to be fixed.

Cheers,

Justin.

Astroman
16-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Yeah saw some responses like that a while ago.. I have two Synscan controllers, one with my Orion Teletrack and one with the HEQ5, I wonder if I should try one then the other :)

LewisM
16-02-2013, 01:15 PM
I have never had an upgrade/downgrade issue, especially if using a USB3.0 port. Instantly connects, transfers the .ssf very fast.

I downgraded from 3.33B01 to 3.27 the other day - no issues, less than 1 minute.

Just be sure to have a QUALITY RS232 to USB adapter!

tilbrook@rbe.ne
16-02-2013, 01:19 PM
It would be worth a go, I presume you have a fast internet connection?
I would'nt try it with mine, would crash for sure.

Cheers,

Justin.

Astroman
16-02-2013, 01:20 PM
I was thinking of maybe using my Desktop computer and using it's RS232 port for it.

MrB
16-02-2013, 01:24 PM
Like Lewis, I've also never had a problem with flashing two different EQ6pro's.
I have always been very careful that both HC and laptop are running on fully charged batteries, just incase the mains power drops out.
Not likely I know, but it's easy to charge the batteries up for peace of mind.

Like a lot of other people, I'm also running v3.27.
I also use PC-direct all the time and never had an issue with that either.

Astroman
16-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Okay thanks guys for your input. Well that was pretty uneventful. Connected the Synscan controller via my RS232 port on my Desktop computer and away it went and upgraded to v3.27 I thought I better start with the most stable it seems of the firmwares... I will wait until SW come out with a more stable version for the polar align. Only took a few minutes to do the update... my hands are still shaking HAHA....

2stroke
16-02-2013, 02:11 PM
v3.27 here also its about the best firmware release so far for eq mounts anyhow :) And yes it should work but be warned of the issues of dodgy serial to usb convertors so don't leave your gear un-attended when using it that way.

Astroman
16-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Yeah I learnt that the last time I ran EQMOD with my old EQ6, random ghost slews were a way to keep you awake at night lol...

Good news is, I have EQMOD working with the mount now under PCdirect mode and plugges straight into the serial port on the desktop computer... Very happy now... Just have to try it under the stars now.

tilbrook@rbe.ne
16-02-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi Andrew.

Glad you had a smooth run!

Looking forward to your first images with the HEQ Pro 5 mount.

Cheers,

Justin.

Shiraz
16-02-2013, 03:17 PM
ditto.. regards ray

Astroman
16-02-2013, 04:05 PM
Hey Ray you might have to change your Signature now. Hopefully tonight if the clouds dissipate I will give it a quick test run, might have to use the 900NC in normal mode until I figure out it's flickering problem... Might even try the comet or three.

knightrider
16-02-2013, 05:41 PM
+1

Bought my USB to RS232 adapter cheap off ebay....worked once for a firmware upgrade then it wouldn't work at all after that.

Bought a quality one locally for $30 and it works good now.