PDA

View Full Version here: : Most common question you get...

toc
14-02-2013, 06:32 PM
...when a co-worker finds out you have a telescope: 'boy I bet you can really spy on your neighbours with that!'. Kill me. Kill me now.

Shark Bait
14-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Happens sometimes at the Mt Coot-tha public viewing nights. If they have not looked through an eyepiece and it is quiet, I will point it at the Brisbane's CBD.

They are surprised to discover the view is upside down and back to front. :)

mental4astro
14-02-2013, 06:48 PM
"How far can you see with it?"

I'm still to figure out how to answer that one without going into a lecture...

Hmm, it just occurred to me to say "about 300 million light years on a good night.". What do you think?

MrB
14-02-2013, 06:50 PM
"To infinity and beyond" ;)

LewisM
14-02-2013, 06:59 PM
"Can I see Cancer - it's my zodiac sign"

"Is that the Hubble telescope?" (got that one this past Halloween)

"Can you see Martians with that thing?"

omegacrux
14-02-2013, 07:30 PM
Anything up there ?
I usually reply no not much !

David

Iain.k
14-02-2013, 07:35 PM
The worst
"So you must be pretty good at astrology and all that"

brian nordstrom
14-02-2013, 07:47 PM
:help: " How much power does it have ? "
About 150kw ?:shrug: .
Brian.

CJ
14-02-2013, 08:41 PM
How much was it?
Can I see Uranus?

toc
14-02-2013, 09:21 PM
That never gets old :)

DavidU
14-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Ah yes, my sister is into astrology as well.
oh my............

Astroman
14-02-2013, 10:22 PM
not a common question, but I was talking to someone and he believed that the stars were actually getting their light from our own Sun. He was surprised to learn that they were actually suns themselves and our Sun was a star... At least he went home smarter that day....

taminga16
14-02-2013, 10:53 PM
How far can I see with my eyes? Andromeda with an explanation and distance is always a good answer.
Greg.

TrevorW
14-02-2013, 10:55 PM
To which I reply only if you show me yours first ;):thumbsup:

CJ
14-02-2013, 10:57 PM
It all depends on whose asking :D;)

Stardrifter_WA
14-02-2013, 10:59 PM
Ummm, that's not so unusual, but it does depend on how good looking your neighbour is, hey :question: :P

A few years ago I had a couple of high end 3rd Gen Night Vision devices that I had to take home from work overnight. I took them around to my brothers place to show him and the first thing he wanted to do was look over the fence to see if his neighbour was having a swim, as, apparently she was well known for her nudity....some people :lol: No, he didn't actually look there, but he was amazed by how good these devices are and what you could see in total darkness. Most people just don't get to see stuff like this. Those were the days; when I got to play around with some really cool stuff. :)

From my experience a lot of people are Luddites when it comes to technology and they have a tendency to ask stupid question, but hey, they don't know any different, so don't be too hard on them. I always to my best to educate them, as their questions are usually genuine.

Cheers Peter

CJ
14-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Lots of people use a joke, sometimes clumsy, as an icebreaker in all kinds of social contexts, including me. It's easy to forget how much seemingly obvious trivial knowledge you pick up that those who haven't been exposed to astronomy or scopes haven't. A bit of patience is a good thing in most aspects of life.

toc
15-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Jesus, has he been living in a cave his whole life? thats mind boggling. And rather scary. :jawdrop:

Ric
15-02-2013, 02:58 AM
I get that one too

I tell them I can see back in time with it.

That gets them thinking for a while. :D

mental4astro
15-02-2013, 04:06 AM
This sentence got me thinking, Ric. One can see 3billion years back with the 13 magnitude quasar 3C 273 in Virgo. Should make things interesting their reaction :eyepop:

LewisM
15-02-2013, 09:23 AM
I like it when I show someone something and they ask how far away it is. I tell them in light years, and then they ask how far that is. So, I will usually do a fast calculation into KM's, and then tell them how many years it will take them to get there driving their car at 100km/h.

It usually helps them put it all into perspective.

ZeroID
15-02-2013, 12:20 PM
The 'Uranus' answer is as old as the hills and always gets a 'groan' but as was said most people are looking for an opening comment because they really don't understand the physics and scales astronomy works on. I always try to give understandable answers and in most cases get some sort of ''Oh!" back which means I have enlightened them slightly.

I got a bit of a reputation when the eclipse and Transit happened last year so colleagues tolerate my idiocyncracies and progressively improving astro pix on the office wall. Also a pic of the big scope up there tends to make them go 'wow' especially when you tell them you built it largely from chucked out aluminium tube and plywood from work...

But you still get some weird questions .... :shrug: :D

mental4astro
15-02-2013, 12:55 PM
You realise now that when you finally get the sack you'll be required to surrender the scope to your former employers as the material you used was theirs in the first place, :sadeyes:.

Tell you what, ship the scope over to me and they'll never find it! I'll keep it safe and sound for you. :D

leon
15-02-2013, 04:32 PM
Have you found any new stars yet is one that I got.

Leon

toc
16-02-2013, 11:42 AM
i often get people asking me if I have discovered any comets. I have a hard enough time finding comets thats other people have discovered :lol:

leon
16-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Very true Tim, but its all good, if one is not into Astronomy it can be a challenge for some to understand it all, we have to be kind !!

Leon

multiweb
16-02-2013, 01:25 PM
So true. We're right into it and a minority too so we assume a lot. 99% of the populace I'd say doesn't have a clue but ask genuine questions that might sound stupid to us. Patience is key. Of vourse you get the occasional crackpot asking about niburu but they are a hand ful only.

orestis
16-02-2013, 01:37 PM
Oh Alex,

You do not know how much this frustrates me, especially when I try to explain that the purpose of a telescope is to see fainter rather than further though fainter usually means further.

Next time I'll just tell the furtherst thing I have seen through my telescope is ic 1296 a galaxy only 220 million light years away.:lol:.

Anyways
We can only try to educate

Cheers Orestis:thumbsup:

Matt Wastell
17-02-2013, 08:22 PM
I get a few -
When people find out I do soalr - do you do it at night?
Can you see Uranus? - to this I always say "only with a mirror!"

RB
17-02-2013, 09:59 PM
I always get:

"Your camera takes really great astro photos!"

To which I reply "It's like you inviting me over for dinner and I say to you your pots cook a lovely meal."

:lol:

Octane
18-02-2013, 12:23 AM
The whole thing about people not knowing that our Sun is a star, is actually quite common. They were either not taught in school, or it is not something that they relate to.

H

toc
18-02-2013, 12:25 PM
lol

toc
18-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Ive never lost my patience, but sometimes I groan inside :) I must admit, I get pissed off when I talk to people that claim the moon landing was faked. (and I have met a few, although I think one was yanking my chain)

toc
18-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Absolutely. Most people are really fun to talk to about astronomy, and its great when you show them something you have imaged, and they are amazed by it. (but inside you know your image is crap compared to what others have done :D)

Scorpius51
18-02-2013, 01:06 PM
... and your response is "I don't need to - I can see one now without it!" :rolleyes:

mental4astro
18-02-2013, 07:10 PM
I've been asked to take a scope to an all teacher preschool open night next month. I'm curious to find out what questions lie instal for me :question:

swannies1983
18-02-2013, 07:30 PM
"Why are you a nerd?"

brian nordstrom
18-02-2013, 08:15 PM
:) Amother common one is when someone see's Saturn for the first time ,,
,,, " Is there a photo in your scope ? " .

Nice praise .

Brian.

Matt Wastell
18-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Hi Brian
I remember when I had my LX90 out in a park and a fellow came over for a look - I showed him Saturn and he kept moving to the front of the scope looking for the 'sticker' - he walked away still not believing he had seen Saturn!

ZeroID
19-02-2013, 06:34 AM
I got an unusual one yesterday (Monday). At work over lunch about last Thursday we'd been discussing the fly past of the asteroid and as usual I was enlightening the misinformed about distances and visibilty etc etc.

On Monday I got accused, accused I tell you, of not telling them about the Russian meteor and why didn't I warn them it was coming !! :confused2:

It was all in a bit of fun really but most of them had the idea that astronomers and NASA etc etc all knew where everything was and why wasn't it spotted coming ...... :shrug:

I managed to escape the lynch mob and am now holed in the observatory till the furore dies down ... :rofl:

Larryp
19-02-2013, 07:43 AM
You fiend!