PDA

View Full Version here: : Mag 4.9 earthquake in North Korea possible nuclear test

gary
12-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Both South Korean and Japansese authorities and the US Geological Survey have measured
an earthquake in Kilju county, North Korea, where the Punggye-ri test site is located,
at a depth of approximately 1km.

Reports are the quake measured between magnitude 4.9 and 5.2 and there is
speculation as to whether the North Koreans have detonated another nuclear device.

Story here -
http://www.smh.com.au/world/fake-quake-detected-in-north-korea-20130212-2eagi.html

Astro_Bot
12-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Now confirmed as a nuclear test, 6 - 7 kT. North Korean state media claims the device was "miniaturised", which analysts are saying equates to being small enough to be fitted as a warhead on a ballistic missile.

If you follow the trajectory of developments, it doesn't lead to a good place. Regime Change anyone? And remember what happened last time someone said that? Still, there may be no other option, given sanctions seem to do little to nothing to arrest NK's militaristic designs.

In case there was any doubt in which direction those designs are aimed:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-05/n-korea-video-shows-us-city-under-attack/4502654

Shark Bait
12-02-2013, 06:41 PM
China will have to lean on North Korea's leaders. They aren't paying attention to anyone else.

Iran at least pretends to be developing nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.

If North Korea manage to get a nuclear warhead on a ballistic missile they have made it clear that it will be pointing at America.

Interesting times.....

tonybarry
12-02-2013, 07:33 PM
I was born in 1959 and grew up with the spectre of world atomic war ... by the mid 1990s it had faded away with SALTIII and the dismantling of the former Soviet Union.

The return of atomic war looks to be quite possible with this new kid on the block, who is apparently less than thirty years old and keen to prove his mojo is as big as anyone else's mojo.

I earnestly hope that this does not create the next arms race. Nobody will win. We will all lose - and future generation will wear the cost.

Regards,
Tony Barry

entity62
12-02-2013, 07:36 PM
" Regime Change anyone" like in Iraq ( nice place now ), maybe Regime Change like Afghanistan (nice place) Regime Change in Syria..

How about we keep the out of other countries problems.. WAR IS STUPID, and ONLY sheep follow the wars.

Darrell

Astro_Bot
12-02-2013, 08:05 PM
Selctive quoting isn't exactly fair - and I was already eluding to post-change problems when I said:

A key point:

How quickly the memory fades. Iraq invaded Kuwait (and murdered many of its citizens). Afghanistan was home to Al Qaeda (and did similarly in addition to 9/11). Germany/Japan in WWII? "Peace in our times". Yup, that worked. If only problems stayed in their respective countries of origin. Ah, but largely, they don't. Particularly, ballistic missiles with nuclear warheads run by a regime with the stated intent of destroying its enemies at the first available opportunity isn't something to take lightly.

If only the world was as nice as some people would like it to be. But it isn't.

By the way, we're not even in Syria, but the regime is occasionally massacring unarmed civilians. Not to worry. It'll be fine. Just switch off the brain and watch more reality TV ...

entity62
12-02-2013, 08:38 PM
The UN Charter's prohibition of member states of the UN attacking other UN member states is central to the purpose for which the UN was founded in the wake of the destruction of World War II: to prevent war. This overriding concern is also reflected in the Nuremberg Trials' concept of a crime against peace "starting or waging a war against the territorial integrity, political independence or sovereignty of a state, or in violation of international treaties or agreements..." (crime against peace), which was held to be the crime that makes all war crimes possible.
Afghanistan admitted 1946
Iraq admitted 1945
Nth Korea admitted 1991
Syria admitted 1945

Darrell

Larryp
12-02-2013, 09:33 PM
So we let them zap us first?

Astro_Bot
12-02-2013, 09:38 PM
Was there a point in there somewhere?

OK, I'll guess as to the point - forgive me if I guess wrong.

Murder is against the law. Therefore, remove the arrest power of police and, what the heck, disband the police altogether while we're at it, because murder is against the law, and all citizens comply with the law, therefore it can't happen. Forget about "safe zones" on trains, lighted walkways on campuses, rape crisis centres, locking your doors and windows, women not walking alone at night, etc. All robbery, assault and rape are against the law, and all citizens comply with the law all the time, so there's no need.

Of course, the people getting robbed, assaulted, raped and murdered might have a different idea.

entity62
12-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Just because that tin pot country Nth Korea, has detonated a bomb, does not give anyone the write to disarm/attack/KILL the citizens, of said country.
Remember there is ONLY one country in the world who has used nukes on another country. All the other nuke countries use then as a deterant. WHY can not tin pot Nth Korea, has some as a deterent.
The real enemy of the world used NUKES..

Darrell

Astro_Bot
12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Why can't North Korea have nukes? Oh, boy, I'm guessing you've never studied geopolitics or history.

The USA is the real enemy of the world, then? That's your thesis? And that's why North Korea should be nuclear armed?

This is no longer worth my time. You're deluded beyond hope.

wasyoungonce
13-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Because NK has a history of despotic provocation and policies of subvert and overt violence: the sinking of South Korean Navy ship by submarine torpedo by NK (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1279828/North-Korean-torpedo-DID-sink-Souths-navy-ship-propellor-lettering-proves.html#axzz2KjHurqS0); The shelling of South Korean villages by NK for no reason (http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/11/23/us-korea-north-artillery-idUSTRE6AM0YS20101123); The NK government connection with international drug smuggling (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pong_Su_incident)(for money and cash flow); the firing of a missile over another sovereign nations land (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20690338); NK abductions of foreign nationals in covert operations (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_abductions_of_Japanese _citizens); NK continued massive military build up (http://en.rian.ru/world/20130123/178959609.html); while it's populace starves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Korean_famine)!

Lets not forget NK nuclear dealings with Iran & Pakistan and sales of missiles to Yemen.

So sit back sit enjoy the show NK is a as crazy as a half lit firecracker now lets ramp that up with atomic weapons......what's the worst that could happen. Least being a nuclear arms race across Asia the worst is ....from a crazy state?:sadeyes:

tonybarry
13-02-2013, 10:49 PM
My suspicion is that Nth Korea does not intend to provide a deterrent with its nukes ... it intends to use them.

Evidence for this suspicion is well documented by wasyoungonce.

The government is a young person with exceptional powers to command resources of the state and to enforce heavy penalties on the citizenry if they refuse to do his bidding.

The Nth Korean leader appears to be quite out-of-touch with both international politics and his own people. Out-of-touch people can frequently make gross error of judgement simply due to an incorrect appraisal of reality.

My estimation of the danger that Nth Korea will instigate nuclear war ... is higher than between the USSR and the USA in 1963 / Bay of Pigs. If Nth Korea obtains more fissile material I think they will use it on military targets.

I earnestly hope I am wrong.

Regards,
Tony Barry

strongmanmike
13-02-2013, 10:56 PM
Sorry guys but there is mountains more evidence that the World as a whole is in far more danger due to the insidious and relentless march of man made climate change than a rouge country with a small immature nuclear weapon who are just trying to look tough.

Mike

Stardrifter_WA
13-02-2013, 11:07 PM
Sorry Tony, I doubt that will ever happen. For a greater understanding of this issue read the BBC News (a credible news source) article "What is driving North Korea's test plan? at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-21231204

You have to remember that North Korea has been 'technically' at war with the US for 50 years, (see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10165796) They simply want a deterrent (and bargaining chip) and are unlikely to use such a weapon, despite the rhetoric. It would be suicide, and I doubt any Government would be that mad to bring about the destruction of human civilisation.

Just remember MAD means "mutually assured destruction". One nuke from North Korea would bring a rain of hell down upon them. There would be no winners. And that is why it is unlikely, although not certain, that there will be a nuke war any time soon.

Cheers Peter

Astro_Bot
13-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Mike, in the long run view, you are right. But that's no excuse not to address issues such as this. Public policy is capable of being multi-faceted, nuanced and intricate. Whether or not it is, in execution, depends on our leaders, but we're obviously capable of implementing programs to improve indigenous health and education while simultaneously addressing water conservation ... or import duties ... or telecommunications ... or a multitude of other things.

I can't see a valid reason to ignore or diminish the importance of dealing with North Korea. I'm not suggesting we immediately draw up invasion plans (or ever, really) but the last couple of decades have shown that the problem is highly resistant to sanctions and diplomatic measures and continues to worsen.

Larryp
13-02-2013, 11:13 PM
I hope you are right, Peter, but I wouldn't trust the kim Jong-Un as far as I could throw him-and that's not very far!

Stardrifter_WA
13-02-2013, 11:27 PM
Laurie, I hope I am right too :D I am certainly not certain about it, by any stretch of the imagination. However, the threat of nuclear war has been around for a long time, and it hasn't happened........yet. I just don't get so excited by the threat any more. If it happens, nothin' I can do about it. :sadeyes:

Frankly, I think the planet faces a more daunting outcome than nuclear war, and that is the rapid expansion of the human race and its consumption of non renewable resources, let alone the degradation of the environment, which has serious consequences for food production. Judgement day is coming..........it's just the timing that isn't fixed in stone.

Sadly, I think I am too old now to bother worrying about it any more. :) Certainly sleep better that way! :)

Cheers Peter

entity62
15-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Time too reply since the Prozac has worn off, and i'm becoming deluded again.
I have an answer for all the links posted, by Brendan, and i will show you RG why usa is no better.

Sink of ship and land attack. Nth Korea IS still at war so military targets are legit targets. (Second Iraq war was over WMD, which NEVER existed, a british Intelligence Officer told there parliment so, and commited suicide after.So the US, Brit, Polish and Australian, went to war over stuff all which has left how many dead to date)
Drug smuggling, the article say's that NO Nth Korean was convicted of smuggling. ( A US goverment dept, supplied MILITARY style weapons to Mexican drug cartels over a 5 year period, which in turn has left innocent Mexicans DEAD. The Taliban had removed over 80% (UN figures) of the Opium growing in Afganistan, now since invasion the Opium crops are at there highest level (UN figures).)
Kidnapping of foreign nationals, the Nth Korean govt has appoligised for the kidnapping and repated the poor souls. ( Chinese muslim prisoners in Guantanamo Bay how are NOT terrorist, but can not be sent back to China, and many other prisoners there who did stuff all but can not be sent back to there own countries because of internal conflict. They were KIDNAPPED)
The Japanese know the trajectory of the rocket before hand. Like ALL countries let other know the trajectory of rocket fire..
Famine. The article talks about the USSR pulling out and asking for its aid back. It also talks about Flood and Drought. these alone make famine a real possability. But what about ALL the UN sanctions, which stops them from buying agriculture tools.
Hypocrisy. There are some Western backed countries who NEVER have followed UN resolutions, and the West have NEVER sanctioned them for it. NEVER. One of these countries has its own clandestine nuke pile..
Time for some Prozac me think, getting very duluded.

Darrell

wasyoungonce
15-02-2013, 04:38 PM
Your quite entitled to your views and I agree with the matter that the USA, Australia, Brittan, China and Russia have been no better in their foreign policies in modern history wrt the gulf-war 2 wmd war or what ever anyone wants to call it.

There we no valid terrorist harbouring or WMD grounds to attack Iraq. There were grounds to dispose of a despot that practised genocide gassed his own people with mustard gas but hey this point was lost.

But all this is OT...it's NK we are focusing on here. If the war is in fact never over then NK should be a wasteland by now, they would have lost. However we have a armistice do we not. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Armistice_Agreement).or shall we say an armistice on one side not the other...instead one party is supposed to fight by Marquis of Queensbury rules while the other is hitting below the belt here! This cannot go on without retaliation or ending this in some manner. The point saying its all right for NK to attack legit military targets is as the war is not over is wrong on 2 counts: Armistice mentioned above; and I didn't see a military base in the middle some small SK village getting pounded by NK artillery, without provocation...or maybe you will look at at this as SK civilians getting in the way of NK target shelling practice?

MacArthur was correct when the Chinese were massing on the Yalu river in China to cross to NK/SK. MacArthur wanted to SAC bomb them as they were a threat. Unfortunately MacArthur wanted to Nuclear SAC bomb them...which was of course unpalatable even then. So the Truman paused and fiddled and lives were lost...many lives.

The end result is an appeasement of a Stalinist regime and we all know well how good a leader Stalin was to his people. Fact here is the general NK population live in abject poverty yet their government has shown gross violations of UN decrees and is involved with other Nuclear ambitious countries that are also despotic.

Oh and a family member of mine was involved with the Pong Su at high legal level it is pretty obvious this was NK sanctioned drug running...amateurish at that. Yes drugs in Afghanistan is a real issue...the damn yanks could have paid them to plant whatever lets say potatoes and buy it back from them and still be cheaper than trying to stop opium. I suppose the British couldn't control the place I don't know why the yanks or Australia thought they could. However Afghanistan was harbouring another despotic regime that did foster terrorism on an international scale. Of course this point is lost isn't it. Still that said Afghanistan is a better place today than it has been for many many years ...womean can get an education.

I would have supported an invasion to Afghanistan before any Iraq invasion and still do due to the nature of the Taliban and their harbouring of terrorism. Now days we find the real culprit behind all this is Pakistan...not Afghanastain.

As for the rocket over other another nationals land...if this was over Australia ..how would you feel? This is the same as turning on targeting radar against an foreign aircraft...it's just not done and can lead to war as it is a provocative act. It's only needs one mishap..we know how good NK is at engineering rockets...maybe 1 in 10 actually take off so this could have been the one small trigger if it fell on land in Japan or a US base???...it could/would be viewed as deliberate.

International politics is a tightrope walk, especially for some nations but to do so while firing guns blindfolded is asking for a fall. China and Russia have their own failures of backing the wrong people just as much as the Yanks. It is dreadful we went to the gulf war 2 I feel ashamed of official government involvement (not against out participants, troops, airmen ....I was part of 75SQN hornets). I however fully agree with Gulf-war 1 it was for the right reasons, Kuwait was invaded was it not..

Anyway back OT.....NK is not trying to settle its issues peacefully it is sabre rattling. History has shown us this rattling leads to SK innocent deaths so now they sabre rattle with nuclear weapons.

Next thing Japan arms up with nuclear weapons in response....then SK then Indonesia then Australia.

As for sanctions causing NK starvation...yes there is a possiblilty of impact by sanctions but hey NK government can stop this right now (or say anytime in the last 20 years) but they choose to continue on a nuclear program that will ultimately lead to confrontation. Low an behold if a terrorist organisation gets hold of a nuclear weapon that NK sells for cash flow......there will be retribution like no other. Oh and the isotopes left from nuclear blasts pretty much tell where these weapons materials came from......so proof is reasonably easy to match if this unfortunately happens.

NK...is destabilising the world, how far they are bent on going? Who knows...lets hope they collapse like Russia before they get too far after all they do have inferior basic weaponry like tanks and aircraft but they do have a lot of troops in boots...they cannot fight a protracted war this is why they want nuclear weapons. Its time for the Chinese to stop NK and to stand up to their naughty funded child state.

Anyway FWIW.

Stardrifter_WA
15-02-2013, 11:08 PM
IF, North Korea does create a nuclear weapon, how will they deploy it and with what accuracy, and could they get it past the missile defence shields on the US coast? And yes, I do realise that these defence shields are not totally effective, however, if a strike was imminent, I am sure a lot of these missiles would be deployed, with a chance of one destroying the incoming nuke, thus mitigating the strike. Just look at the 'Iron Dome' defence shield that covers Israel.

Also, the US has 'tactical' nuclear weapons, as opposed to the 'strategic' nuclear weapons that North Korea is trying to develop, assuming that they are not as advanced in weapon design. A 'tactical' nuclear weapon is designed to strike military targets with high precision and are probably a low yield device, thus minimising collateral damage. And, I doubt NK have the necessary technological sophistication required to develop high precision guidance systems.

If there was a real and credible threat of an imminent strike from NK with a 'strategic' weapon, which is designed to destroy large areas, the US would have no hesitation in deploying a 'tactical' nuke, or even a normal cruise missile, to destroy the NK missile, before it even launched. And NK would know this, and that would be a deterrent, as they would not be able to actually carry out the threat with any real chance of succeeding. China would also know this and would probably step in to prevent any real escalation of hostilities on the Korean Peninsular.

The US has sophisticated surveillance systems which North Korea do not have, so are in a better position to know what NK is doing.

So, I doubt NK can really do anything meaningful to carry out such a threat anyway. And, as I said earlier, I ain't worried about it and won't lose any sleep over it.

Cheers Peter

Astro_Bot
16-02-2013, 04:18 AM
Hi Peter. You seem to be a bit off in the facts ... I'll try not re-hash what Brendon has already covered; apologies if I do.

Let me first say for the record that I'm not trying to promote the threat from NK as the world's #1 problem - I thought I was done with this thread at post #2 - but the relatively uninformed views that have been posted since are keeping me involved.

They have - they've conducted three successful tests, the most recent being for a miniaturised weapon, which, though not an operational warhead, is a big step closer to that goal. No-one (in the business of watching NK) seriously doubts that their goal is operational warheads.

They are developing and continue to develop ballistic missiles and periodically conduct test firings, the most recent being over Japan that allegedly put a satellite in orbit. Again, no-one (in the business of watching NK) doubts that their goal is an operational class of ballistic missiles. FYI: Taepodong-2 has a range believed to be >6,000km and further developments are in progress.

The problem of intercepting ballistic missiles is extremely challenging. The extreme speed and (largely) exo-atmospheric flight path makes detecting, tracking and intercepting these targets a monumental task. Defence hinges on two of four stages. (1) Boost phase, when the rocket motor is burning and the target is hot and easily "seen". Unfortunately, this is well within adversary territory and lasts only a few minutes - flight time of the interceptor to the target may well be longer than the boost phase itself and chances are the ballistic missile will be above the maximum ceiling of the interceptor by the time it gets there. Still, there are efforts to try this - the Air Borne Laser being the most prominent, but after 17 years, that is still just "testing". (2) Ascent phase, when the missile gains high altitude and becomes exo-atmospheric - only initial R&D is going on here. (3) Mid-course phase, which is exo-atmospheric, when one must detect a cold target against cold space at altitudes of >>120km and hit it at >20,000 km/h with pinpoint accuracy with the window of opportunity due to interceptor downrange/crossrange overlap being very small. Very hard! The US Navy has deployed a system - it's effectiveness is unverified, though they claim to have conducted successful tests. The US Army is developing a system under the auspices of the Missile Defense Agency - it is still in a testing stage. I must emphasise the difficulty of hitting an unknown/unannounced target vs a rehearsed test target - it really is a hard thing to do. (4) Re-entry/terminal phase, when the target is within the range of land-based defence missiles, is very, very hard - the target aspect is smallest and the speed highest - this isn't considered credible for intercontinental ballistic missiles (of the type NK is developing), but against slower and shorter range missiles (speed:range is roughly proportional), it has some chance of success, and this is where those defences are concentrated.

Add to that: from 1972-2002, the ABM treaty forbade anti-ballistic missile defence developments. The US withdrew in 2002 due to "rogue state" ballistic missile developments from the likes of NK and Iran. Consequently, ABM developments are two decades behind ballistic missile developments.

See above. Terminal defence missiles are mostly ineffective against the class of weapon NK is developing. Even short range ballistic missiles like Scuds used by Iraq were relatively impervious to short range interceptors (Patriot batteries, though used, had little success).

You're doubts are unfounded. They can guide a satellite to orbit (regardless of whether the satellite works) = they can put a ballistic missile on target. It's the same problem simply with different boundary conditions. Your argument about tactical vs strategic is non-sensical. All nuclear weapon delivery systems are designed to strike with very high precision. "Low precision" hasn't been a problem since the 60s era of weapons, all of which were withdrawn long ago. NK's developments show no signs of being "low precision". Tactical nukes are more readily described as those under the command of a battlefield commander delivered by non-ballistic missile means. AFAIK, the USA no longer deploys tactical nukes and I would guess that, since the demise of the Soviet Union, the Russians don't either. Hollywood, however, has yet to catch up - they seem to want to call any warhead <100kT a "tactical" nuke.

IIRC, NK has been a net exporter of ballistic missile and nuclear technology - they're more advanced in that area than most other countries, including Australia. (Obviously, there are some countries more advanced, such as USA, Russia and China).

One particular problem is who NK might sell to next - because there remains the distinct possibility of a terrorist organisation obtaining a "backpack" nuke - that's another avenue of concern from successful weapon miniaturisation.

NK hasn't responded (in a manner the international community considers acceptable) to any deterrent so far, and shows no signs of doing so. Also, see below.

NK doesn't need surveillance - cities don't move. Even "early warning systems" of the kind that have been around since the 60s wouldn't provide meaningful warning of a pre-emptive launch by NK against Japan or even the USA. The entire Cold War nuke deterrent hinged around not knowing if/when the Soviets would launch. That's the nature of ballistic missiles: maybe a satellite picks up a thermal bloom that could be a launch, and maybe an radar system picks up the ascent and some of the mid-course trajectory, but ICBM flight time is <30 minutes, and that's bugger all time to do anything, hence the decades-long non-reliance on ABMs and the policy of MAD. I know systems are in development, but again, it's a very hard problem - like trying to hit a tiny supersonic jet with a .22 rifle bullet - don't hold your breath.

Actually, i'm not losing sleep either ... over this, anyway ... my insomnia is caused by other things. But, keep in mind that there's been a saying in the "business" for a long time: "I'm more terrified of the guy with one nuke than the guy with a thousand".

And after all that .... Good night and good luck.

Stardrifter_WA
16-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Hi Astro,

I am well aware of the facts and was just expressing 'my' opinion, based on 'my ' analysis of the facts, just as you have.

Nor do I stand by 'my' analysis either, as I do not and would never profess to be an 'analysist' or an expert in International Relations.

Fortunately in our democratic society we can express an 'opinion' without fear of reprisals. I am always willing to consider other peoples opinions, and will always defend 'your' right to your opinions, even if I do not necessarily agree with them.

Cheers Peter :)

Astro_Bot
16-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but you really were off in the facts.

Colin_Fraser
16-02-2013, 05:01 PM
Only if your opinion is the same as the "experts" who seem to know everything. If it's different, you are wrong ;)

Stardrifter_WA
16-02-2013, 05:28 PM
Hi Astro,

Clearly, I was off on my facts, however, I reiterate it was only an opinion and if I thought that this was a serious debate, I would have done thorough research before commenting. I was merely adding an alternative to other comments.

Considering some of the information that I have read recently, particular out of Israel, I could argue that some of your facts are not entirely correct either, but, as I stated earlier, I am definitely no expert and can only go by what I read.

However, you have clearly and succinctly made your point with which I concede defeat and bow to your superior intellect.

I have learned my lesson and will not make any further general comments on IIS in the future, unless I thoroughly check my facts first.

I certainly didn't expect to have my comments taken so seriously in the first place, otherwise I would have done my research.

I am sorry if you took my comments so seriously and thank you for taking the time to give your input.

Cheers Peter

Astro_Bot
16-02-2013, 05:36 PM
It wasn't personal, Peter. I tend to get a bit serious where nukes are concerned, especially being ex-military and having worked in related areas. (Note to self: inject more humour and use smilies). :)

wasyoungonce
16-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Peter you are pretty much allowed to say what you want, its the nature of the internet to dump upon those who hold belief's...and I hope I haven't come across as bullish. I apologise if I have.

I am certainly scared of the nuclear spectre..in fact anything Military iconflict. I have seen the results of 1000lb bombs and it scares the be-jebus out of me to think of the damage a nuc can cause.

Of course....the point about Israel and Nuclear weapons, especially tactical nucs' like neutron tactical bombs and no one appears to raise an eyebrow about this is not lost on me.

entity62
16-02-2013, 05:58 PM
The US ABM Defense systems seem too be going ok to me. article from 3 days ago http://www.mda.mil/news/13news0002.html

The Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and U.S. Navy sailors aboard the USS LAKE ERIE (CG 70) successfully conducted a flight test of the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system, resulting in the intercept of a medium-range ballistic missile target over the Pacific Ocean by a Standard Missile-3 (SM-3) Block IA guided missile.

At 11:10 p.m. HST (4:10 a.m. EST) a unitary medium-range ballistic missile target was launched from the Pacific Missile Range Facility, on Kauai, Hawaii. The target flew northwest towards a broad ocean area of the Pacific Ocean.

The in-orbit Space Tracking and Surveillance System-Demonstrators (STSS-D) detected and tracked the target, and forwarded track data to the USS LAKE ERIE. The ship, equipped with the second-generation Aegis BMD weapon system, used Launch on Remote doctrine to engage the target.

The ship developed a fire control solution from the STSS-D track and launched the SM-3 Block IA guided missile approximately five minutes after target launch. The SM-3 maneuvered to a point in space and released its kinetic warhead. The kinetic warhead acquired the target reentry vehicle, diverted into its path, and, using only the force of a direct impact, engaged and destroyed the target.

Initial indications are that all components performed as designed. Program officials will assess and evaluate system performance based upon telemetry and other data obtained during the test.

Today’s event, designated Flight Test Standard Missile-20 (FTM-20), was a demonstration of the ability of space-based assets to provide mid-course fire control quality data to an Aegis BMD ship, extending the battlespace, providing the ability for longer range intercepts and defense of larger areas.

FTM-20 is the 24th successful intercept in 30 flight test attempts for the Aegis BMD program since flight testing began in 2002. Across all Ballistic Missile Defense System programs, this is the 58th successful hit-to-kill intercept in 73 flight tests since 2001.

Aegis BMD is the sea-based component of the MDA’s Ballistic Missile Defense System. The Aegis BMD engagement capability defeats short- to intermediate-range, unitary and separating, midcourse-phase ballistic missile threats with the Standard Missile-3 (SM-3), as well as short-range ballistic missiles in the terminal phase with the SM-2 Block IV missile. The MDA and the U.S. Navy cooperatively manage the Aegis BMD program.

Stardrifter_WA
16-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Not at all Brendan. all ok. :)

Astro_Bot
16-02-2013, 06:34 PM
{I started this before seeing Brendan's post, but what the heck ...}

I often think about the relationship between our elected representatives and the general public. Recently, I reflected on the vast array of opinions on many topics that one might hear over a beer in every pub in the land. I think this thread is an example of the diversity of views that span the nation.

Democracy is a great thing, and freedom of expression, IMHO, is its greatest facet. I wouldn't want to live in a place where people weren't free to express a view, even if contrary facts later come to light.

Two things come to mind, though possibly at a tangent to this thead: firstly, we're all human and as humans we inject ego into arguments and feelings get hurt (and I'm as guilty as the next person in that regard - been there, done that); and, secondly, that given the enormous diversity of views on any topic, is it any wonder that our leaders ignore much of what people say? That is, there will always be a sizeable proportion of the population whose opinions will be sidelined, and who will undoubtedly feel hard done by. It's unavoidable.

But, still, I wouldn't change freedom of expression for anything.

wasyoungonce
17-02-2013, 05:16 PM
I worked and was in charge of with Pavetack and F18FLIR LTDR for many years ....I just don't know how they get that sort of targeting accuracy...damn it's difficult at those humongous velocities, must use a vast system of different sensor arrays.

Next warheads will be fitted with ECM to fool incoming targeting systems...just like ECM....ECCM....ECCCM ...and so on.:sadeyes: