PDA

View Full Version here: : DSS and Canon 550D

seeker372011
10-02-2013, 10:10 PM
I know you are supposed to use the beta version from the yahoo group but I am having a terrible time trying to stack RAW images from my 550d

I just can't seem to get it to work at all

Either I get complete noise or white frame or just yesterday,I got star trails!

Anyone having similar troubles or is it just me?

Had no great joy over at the DSS yahoo group they all seem to think the beta version works.

And it has the last time I tried it..but doesn't seem to now ...?????!!:shrug::question::confuse d2:

Going to uninstall and reinstall but I have already tried once, so why would it work this time?

It's really annoying

Is there an alternative to DSS somewhere?

bojan
11-02-2013, 07:39 AM
Well, if it works for everyone else, it should work for you as well, there is nothing special with Canon 550D (I have 400 and 60, both are supported without problems).
Maybe you should adjust settings to defaults? (or to recommended settings)

Bendy777
11-02-2013, 02:09 PM
Im having multiple drama as well, Ive ended up going for the photoshop stacking route untill they bring out the next update in the yahoo forum.

Screwdriverone
11-02-2013, 02:42 PM
Hi Narayan,

Yep, sometimes DSS is a bit of a nancy pants like that.

However, it seems to be the bees knees when you can crack the right combo.

I have attached my DSS settings that I used a while back to process my 1000D subs on the Tarantula Nebula, the 550D should be very similar in the Debayering etc.

Try loading this into DSS using the Settings>Load menu item at the bottom left and selecting the file (wherever you put it). You will need to remove the .txt off the end of the filename so its called DSS beta tarantula.dsssettings for DSS to recognise the settings filename.

Generally, I make sure the RAW/FITS settings are on AHD Debayering and the FITS tab is set to Canon EOS 400D (should be same bayer matrix as both our cameras), then the lights, darks etc are all set to median stacking and I set the Per Channel Background Calibration.

Give it a go and see how you go, if you get stuck, PM me your mobile or home number when you are at home and trying to stack them and I can see if I can Teamviewer your PC and give you a hand with real data on the screen and additionally show you some tips I have since figured out once the stack is complete...

Let me know how you go.

Cheers

Chris

seeker372011
11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks Chris

It might be a few days before I can try I have some dental work happening and expect to be a bit groggy for a day or do

Yes The 550D is different

I have absolutely no problem with my 450d

Have previously got with difficulty 550d images to stack

Can't seem to repeat

seeker372011
11-02-2013, 05:44 PM
Thanks Chris

It might be a few days before I can try I have some dental work happening and expect to be a bit groggy for a day or do

Yes The 550D is different

I have absolutely no problem with my 450d

Have previously got with difficulty 550d images to stack

Can't seem to repeat

jjjnettie
11-02-2013, 08:31 PM
I feel your pain.
I'll make a photographic tutorial of the steps and setting I use if you like and post it on FB.
The 550d can be a right PITA.
You should try converting the MOV files to something that Registax can use. :(
But if you capture using Back Yard EOS you get none of these dramas.

seeker372011
11-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Yes that would be great. I am just stacking RAW images, and DSS usually does a fine job with RAW..except seemingly with the 550D