PDA

View Full Version here: : 12" dob: GSO or Lightbridge?

PeterS
27-05-2006, 03:03 PM
I am tossing up between 2 12" dobs: GSO and Lightbridge. Portability is a major factor - both will fit my car, though obviously the LB much easier. But is the LB worth the extra $500? I suspect I could modify the GSO into a truss - has anyone done that? I understand the mirrors are of similar quality (both GSO). What is the quality of the eyepieces (GSO has 4, LB 1: I'd want pretty good ones)? Will the GSO finder be better than the LB red dot (haven't used one of those)? How do they compare in movement?

A long time between scopes: upgrading from a 6" newt w mirror I ground 38 years ago!

Thanks for your help
PeterS

mickoking
27-05-2006, 03:19 PM
G,day Peter

Welcome to IIS :welcome: Where in Perth do you live ?

The Lightbridge and GSO Dob's both share the same optics. If you plan on travelling to dark sky sights a lot go for the lightbridge, but if like me you do most of your observing at home the GSO is the goods at a cheaper price.

The GSO eyepieces are OK but I would try to do a deal for something better. I have a drawer full of supplied-with-telescope eyepieces I never use.

I personally prefer to use the traditional finderscope that is supplied with with the GSO as it is easy to use with a good star atlas like Uranometria to find faint and obscure objects.

I hope I have been of some assistance :) Mick.

wavelandscott
27-05-2006, 03:20 PM
While not a direct comparison, I have an 8 inch "tube" Dob and a 12.5 inch truss Dob...for a quick look see in the backyard, it is hard to beat the speed of set-up of the 8 inch tube...but, if I am loading up the car far and away (to me) the truss is more managable...the 8 inch fits but takes up more "difficult shape" space.

So, if most of your observing is on your property, I'd save the money and get the tube...however, if you will need to travel via car to an observing site, get the truss...I say this from a space utilization standpoint...

Are the views or optics any better :shrug: ..I don't know.

I can not speak for the red dot finder but I prefer the telrad to a finderscope so I'll probably lean that way (in favor of red dot)...

Can't speak to your other questions...

norm
27-05-2006, 03:22 PM
Not owning a scope as yet, but having done as much research as one can, I'd opt for the 12" LB if portability was a major factor.

I was seriously contemplating a 10" dob which would fit in my car, but it meant there was no room for passengers at the back which completely negated the prospect of getting it, ditto for the 12" dob. As for the 12" LB, as least it can break up and I'll be able to fit 1 part in the boot and another in the back middle seat.

As for eyepieces, I don't know much there quality. Most will probably say they'll do the job for the timebeing and just appreciate for what they are, then later on move up to a couple of premium eyepeices (check others out if possible....try b4 u buy!).

As for the viewfinder. Many people replace the standard viewfinder with a telrad or rigel quickfinder on their dob. As for the truss, I think the viewfinder supplied is a hybrid of the rigel/telrad.

In terms of the mirror, I believe they're from the same manufacturer.

Again, I consider myself as a newbie, so my thoughts shouldn't be taken as gospel.:P

astronut
27-05-2006, 04:41 PM
Hi Peter, Having used both, I now own the LB12". The reasons are, 1.I like the look of the scope. 2. S P A C E...... It allows me to carry everything I need, a fixed tube length would limit what I could take with me.
3.Optics are all G.S.O. The supplied 26mm, 2" e/p performs well with a wide field of view.
4.I've been used to a optical finder for over 30 years, but I did give the red dot finder a go for two months. I've now changed over to the Bintel 8x50mm straight through finder and I find it much better ( this of course is a personal preference )
Apart from the above differences they are the same scope.
Hope this helps:) John

vespine
29-05-2006, 08:05 AM
I had to make the same decision a few months ago and I went the LB. I drive a stationwagon so I didn't think portability was a factor, but since I bought it I've already been on a road trip in my friends VW Golf, I would not have been able to bring a GSO along.

Also I have been contemplating buying a scope for a while so the $500 wasn't a MAJOR factor, I was willing to wait a bit longer and spend a bit more to get something I would be happy with.

I also can't deny that "looks" were on the list of reasons to get a LB.

Last but not least, I live in a share house and it is fine at the moment, but it isn't impossible that I might move out at some stage and live in an apartment. If that happens I won't be able to keep a 12" scope, I thought the LB would have better resale value. You may not live in a share house but resale value still might be a factor, depending on how confident you are you'll never need to part with it.

PeterS
29-05-2006, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the advice, and thanks for the welcome Mick (I live in Hovea, dark skies but too many trees to see them hence my need to travel!).

Two more questions: are the alt/az mounts equally useable, and does the LB require more time in collimation after assembling it?

Thanks,
Peter

ving
29-05-2006, 11:40 AM
i read somwhere that the LB does require recollimating after you have assembled it. the GSO wold require collimating less often and the mirrors arent really moved.... still after seeing astronutts LB i can say theres nothing quite like a truss :D

astronut
29-05-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks, Dave. You're welcome to have a long peek any time.:thumbsup:
Peter, I thought the collimation would be way out each time I reassembled the scope, BUT having installed stiffer springs and using the same truss in each location every time, I've found that the collimation only needs a minor tweak to bring it back in line.
So I think it's only down to personal preference, looks and if you're prepared to spend the extra $500. Optical performance should be the same.
:welcome: to the crazy house, John:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

janoskiss
29-05-2006, 12:17 PM
The solid tube fits in my corolla across the boot and folded down back seat. If it fits in your car, I would not modify it, because setup and breakdown time will be more with the truss dob.

rmcpb
29-05-2006, 12:20 PM
As both scopes are basically the same and transport issues are a major concern I think I would opt for the Lightbridge.

My only concern with the Lightbridge is that dew may be a problem as it only has three sets of trusses and a shroud could possibly get in the light path. Still it would be fairly easy to get around this problem.

Go for the Lightbridge :)

astronut
29-05-2006, 01:52 PM
Rob, I've just purchased a Astrozap shroud from the U.S and it works perfectly well with the two expansion belts fitted to stop the material falling into the light path.:thumbsup:

rmcpb
29-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Thought there would be a work around for that little problem produced quickly.

Cheers

ving
29-05-2006, 03:10 PM
I'd think cooling time would be less with a truss. am i right with this?

Tamtarn
29-05-2006, 07:47 PM
Hi Peter

We are picking up a new 12" GSO Dob on Friday and will be fitting a Telrad or Red Dot Finder.( Transporting the 12" is not a problem as we view from a good backyard site)

At present are using a Meade ETX 125PE with Autostar and find the red dot finder excellent.
Among our eyepiece collection is a 15mmQX which works well on this scope.

David & Barb