PDA

View Full Version here: : Moonlite vs Feathertouch

LewisM
26-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I have used 2 Moonlite focusers now - one with motor focus and dual speed, the other single speed. I was not as impressed as I was lead to believe I would be, and in the end put the original R&P from Vixen back on.

Is FT any advancement over Moonlite? I know the price is an advancement ;) I like the R&P on my Vixen, VERY much, but I would like the benefit of dual speed for those minute corrections to get the FWHM right down.

Bit dismayed when I contacted FT about a replacement - they told me because the Vixen Fl102S is made in China, that they did not do a pinion replacement like for the Takahashi. I then had to inform them that the Vixen FL102S is 100% Japanese made.

Looking at the micro pinion replacement for the Takahashi's, it APPEARS as though it may work on the older Vixens. I'll have to do some research to find out. Or maybe just go for the Vixen dual speed add-on, though I think it needs modification to fit the older pinion rod.

peter_4059
26-01-2013, 02:39 PM
what was the problem with the moonlite? Mine has been excellent.

Larryp
26-01-2013, 03:17 PM
My Moonlite is absolutely superb, and that's even comparing with an Astro-Physics rack and pinion!

brian nordstrom
26-01-2013, 03:24 PM
:)Lewis the Feathertouch FT3035 I had on my now sold NG127 triplet was the best focuser I have ever used , it was a R&P .
Just beautiful , but damn expensive .
Brian.

icytailmark
26-01-2013, 04:08 PM
im currently researching an electric focuser for my c14. im really not sure which way to go.

allan gould
26-01-2013, 04:18 PM
I have three moonlight focusers and as far as Im concerned are perfect. Had a Vixen with RP focuser and it sucked.
Just my opinion.

casstony
26-01-2013, 04:22 PM
FT is a significant step above Moonlite in design and quality of construction IME. The Chinese copies of FT focusers (as found on Sharpstar, etc) are also quite good, but not as good as the original.

gbeal
26-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Depends on the "Feather Touch". There are F/T 2" focusers, they are a crayford design. Then there are the F/T that are R&P versions, from 2", through to 3.5". They are expensive, but they are also THE best in my humble opinion.
I've got three of the 2" Crayford versions, and am happy as.
I have had a few of the "Micros", the 10:1 knob version that attaches to the scopes pinion shaft. To my mind they are a compromise that depends on the original focuser being OK. Most aren't. Heck, why are you spending money on it if it is OK in the first place. My suggestion is to get the complete F/T, even the basic 2" crayford is good.
Gary

peter_4059
26-01-2013, 06:12 PM
Do all FT focusers with steppers have the proprietry stepper motor design? I know Troy had a few issues with compatibility of the FT stepper with his mount hub pro. Also does FT offer a slip clutch system so the motor can be disengaged from the hand knobs?

LewisM
27-01-2013, 08:36 AM
The R&P on my vixen is excellent - truly buttery smooth, consistant and holds a metric poop ton of weight. but, I do find I chase the focus a fair bit trying to nail it for astrophotgraphy, where I know I could make those MINUTE little corrections near the prime focus with a dual speed.

I think I'll buy Vixen's proprietry dual speed add on knob set and have my good machinist alter the attachment if need be. I had one of these on the VC200L (which had an avergae R&P) and it was a BIG improvement. Guess my money goes to Steve Massey again :)

LewisM
27-01-2013, 08:45 AM
As to the Moonlite experience for me, I found that the one I had in the Vixen was no improvement over the standard focuser (given it's an older Vixen, maybe that's the difference?) I am glad I insisted the seller include the original focuser - a few days use of the Moonlite, and I changed back and sold the Moonlite.

The dual speed moonlite with motor focuser came on the NG127 I bought. I have no idea how awful the standard NG focusers are, but the Moonlite was ALRIGHT...

frolinmod
27-01-2013, 09:03 AM
Note that Rigel Systems also makes both DC and stepper motor add-ons for the Feather Touch 2" crayford and 3" rack and pinion focusers. They can easily be engaged and disengaged with the twist of a knob. I use them here for solar imaging so that I can focus a scope which is outside on the balcony while I'm at the computer inside the house.

Terry B
27-01-2013, 11:23 AM
Lewis
My VC200L has the stock R&P focuser but I have replaced one wheel with a simple skywather power focuser
http://www.myastroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-051A
It bolts on with no modification needed.
I have a heavy ST10XME with AO unit and filterwheel on the back of the scope and almost never need to change the focus. I focus with a Bahtinov mask on the V filter using the motor and then lock the focuser. It will stay like that for weeks before needing to be changed. I check it each night with the mask but rarely change it.
You don't need a 2 speed focuser as you can perform small enough movements with the hand controller.

Terry