PDA

View Full Version here: : Lightbridge Optics?

astrofiend
25-05-2006, 01:43 PM
What seems to be the consensus on the optics in the Lightbridges (specifically the 30 cm)? I've read a few reports out there saying vague things such as "the optics are good" or "great optics for the price", but there doesn't seem to be any star test reports or in depth evaluations of optical performance. Usually when a new scope comes out, about a million star test results flow in almost immediately. Can anyone comment or point me in the right direction?

Cheers!

iceman
25-05-2006, 02:03 PM
They're made by GSO, and therefore I assume the same optics in all the GSO dobs available from Bintel, Andrews and others.

I guess you'd conclude from that, "great for the price" :)

Many of us with GSO optics are doing high resolution planetary imaging, and others are doing deep space imaging as well. As long as it's collimated, it performs very well for something that's mass-produced.

Sorry I can't give anything more technical :)

ving
25-05-2006, 02:13 PM
yup, as mike said the optics are GS. if you do a search on GS dobs you may very well find what you are looking for :confused:

according to the GS site the primaries aer 1/12th wave

xstream
25-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Definitely "Great for the Price".
At $1500 for the 12" Deluxe, What more can you ask for? :thumbsup:

ving
25-05-2006, 02:18 PM
a nagler thrown in?

h0ughy
25-05-2006, 02:21 PM
16"'s

xstream
25-05-2006, 03:09 PM
Keep dreaming Dave and Dave. :P

astronut
25-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Hi astrofiend, The best test of any scope is to get it under the stars on a steady night and look through the eyepiece.
Yes, I own a LB and the images I've seen through it are clear and sharp.
Theoretical tests are just that, theoretical.
Properly collimated, using good quality e/p's, I doubt you would see a difference between the G.S.O. mirrors and say, something twice as dear.:)
Don't get caught up in all the theory, just enjoy your scope.:)

astro_nutt
25-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi astrofiend, a friend of mine has a 12"LB and I can verify it does the job very well. But like the others, when properly collimated and using quality ep's under good skies, you just enjoy the views!!!

astrogeek
25-05-2006, 05:53 PM
Well I am the friend with the 12" deluxe lightbridge and I must say the optics are excellent, top class when you consider the price. The images that this scope can produce are amazing, and 9 nights out of 10 (Probably more) you wont tell the difference between a mass produced mirror (ie. GSO) or a premium mirror. As was stated before, there are a lot of people here that are doing first class imaging with GSO mirrors. This just goes to show how good mass produced mirrors have become. On the other side of things, ie. everything else in/on the lightbridge, it is a very good scope. Build quality is good, crayford is very nice and the scope looks damn sexy too :eyepop: . I am even impressed with the 2" 26mm Meade QX ep which performs quite well even in this f/5 scope. The scope also packs down nice and small in it's original box and with some ingenuity could probably be made to fit in a smaller box. There are a few little anoyances like the tension brake which is useless and will scratch the alt bearings, the deluxe red dot finder which is too bright even in Melbourne, 6 truss design necessitating rings in a shroud (Not really issue) and slight balancing issues (With 2" Barlow and 2" ep the scope heads south). Really these are very minor issues that can be quickly fixed. Well I've gone a bit off the "how are the optics" topic but I hope it has helped in some way. I think you will be impressed with this scope :thumbsup:

Leon

gaa_ian
25-05-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm with Houghy, I want a 16" Lightbridge.
I have it on good Authority that we will see one before the end of the year.
BRING IT ON !!!!

astro_nutt
26-05-2006, 09:29 AM
Hear, hear!! astrogeek!!:)

spacezebra
26-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi all

Its a great performing scope - as I had said on previous posts. Images are clear and sharp, a little tweeking on collimation, getting the accessories that suit you and its away you go.

Cheers Petra

Blue Skies
27-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Really? I had it on good Authority that the 16" was nothing but rumour. But I wish it were true. :D

Satchmo
27-05-2006, 10:00 AM
Leon

This is a pretty strong and confident statement. On the basis, I assume , that you have done at least 10 night observing, at high power with your scope side by side with a similar scope with *premium *mirror?

Mark

mick pinner
27-05-2006, 11:53 AM
good point Mark, but the overriding line seems to be good product for the money, which if you think along those lines means the cheaper the price the better the mirror?

Satchmo
27-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Mick, `Good product for the money' and absolute quality are different issues. I questioned the assertion that most observers ( beginners?) won't tell the difference between a mass produced and premium mirror on most nights. Where did this come from? Not sure what you mean by `cheaper the price the better the mirror'.

Mark

mick pinner
27-05-2006, 02:50 PM
it was a tongue in cheek joke, sorry my point was missed.

mickoking
27-05-2006, 03:07 PM
I have a GSO 300mm Dob and its optics IMHO are very good regardless of price. I once owned a pricey 350mm truss tube Dob with a hand figured mirror and the GSO mirror is at least as good as that.

Collomate regularly and as astronut rightly pointed out, Just enjoy your scope.

Satchmo
27-05-2006, 06:22 PM
Who `hand-figured' your mirror ?

Mark

astrogeek
28-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Mark, I think you are in need of a chill pill :)

astrofiend
02-06-2006, 12:07 PM
Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven't responded sooner - I've been away from my computer for a while. Thanks for the responses, it seems to indicate that it would be hard to really go wrong with these scopes. All of the responses I have encountered in various places seem overwhelmingly positive, not just concerning the optics but for the entire scope. No doubt that there are observers out there who could consistently pick premium mirrors over "lesser" mirrors on good nights, but I think it was a worthwhile point to make that under typical (less than perfect) conditions, there would not be too much enjoyment lost by having a LB mirror instead of a premium job (not that I wouldn't sell my own arms to have a premium mirror in a premium scope anyway - bragging rights as much as anything, you know...).

ving
02-06-2006, 02:26 PM
he is defending what he does for a job. I am sure anyone of us would sell any number of bodily organs for a hand figured mirror by mark, i know i would :)

that said, i cant afford one so gso is good enough for me. :)

mickoking
02-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Someone in Sydney, northern suburbs. It was a few years ago now.

slice of heaven
02-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Hadn't thought of that, what's the going rate for a kidney ?? :P

I think Mikes(Iceman) appraisal was spot on.
I also think Mark querying some comments that were a wee bit over the top was a fair call...... those other hand figured premium mirrors sound a bit suspect. :whistle: