PDA

View Full Version here: : Down down, OMG we can't escape

GeoffW1
23-01-2013, 09:32 PM
You know THAT song, played endlessly in a certain supermarket, and more irritating than terminal eczema? I never knew that it was recorded by Status Quo. OMG, have they NO shame? :mad2:

Now they had it in a playlist on commercial radio in Adelaide

http://www.smh.com.au/business/from-quo-to-woe-for-reckless-radio-station-20130123-2d6jq.html

I think that tune is cause for reintroducing capital punishment. It is the primary reason I NEVER visit that supermarket now. How could I cruise the aisles looking for taste sensations when I feel intermittently nauseated? :doh::doh:

What to do?

Russ59
23-01-2013, 09:39 PM
From memory this was featured on Media Watch last year after a similar thing occured. they dont learn. Yes they recorded this in 1974: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Down_Down

And recorded it for Coles. One of the reasons I despise commercial FM radio and commercial television. The definition of commercial content are being blurred more by the day.

allan gould
23-01-2013, 11:10 PM
This advertising cr@p is just nauseating. Went to the Australian open tennis and as the players sit down up comes blĄddy adverts on the big overhead screens. Blaring out there inane messages. You just can't get away from them. No wonder I don't listen to radio and have a TiVo so that I don't have to watch adverts.

Varangian
23-01-2013, 11:15 PM
I honestly feel quite desensitised to most things these days. I hear that song and just block it out, just like I block out (or avoid completely) commercial television and radio. All that matters to me is my family, getting to work in the morning, getting home at night, putting the kids to bed followed by a beer and if it's a clear night another beer and a bit of a scope session. :lol:

Do you remember that Cadbury Chocolate ad? It's Cadburys, it's chocolate, it's Cadbury's, it's chocolate over and over for 30 seconds. What the hell was that? I bet they engaged a hypnotist to sing that. Crazy stuff.

casstony
24-01-2013, 12:11 AM
If you walked into Coles wearing earmuffs I reckon everyone would know why you wore them - might even start a trend. Would Coles stop the stupid ad or start stocking earmuffs?

pgc hunter
24-01-2013, 01:01 AM
I work at Big W and we have Hot Chocolate's "Everybody's a winner baby" song playing every 10 minutes as part of their "every body is a winner - Cha-ching" campaign. I never cared for that song before, now I hate it more than Melbourne's weather.

As for Coles' "down down" and Woolworths "for less for families", they can shove the big red hand up a certain orifice, while they are "down downing" some prices, many others are going up to compensate ofcourse. Example... Smiths chips (and many others) now 30c dearer than a few weeks ago (actually those Smiths variety boxes are a good $1 more expensive), their former "$4 for 2" are now $5 for 2", whereas it used to be "$5 for 3". I'm also certain that those big bottles of Big M used to be about $4.50, now I see them for over 5 bucks. A bag of frozen chicken wings used to be $7.99 a couple of months ago, now it's $8.49. Many items at Big W have also increased in the last few weeks, just as their "Everybody's a winner with Australia's lowest prices CHA CHING" slogan came into effect. Example... A 24pack coke cost about $11 a couple of years ago, now it's almost $19. Pure Woolworths at their best :mad2:

Also, I just fuelled up at one of Coles' petrol stations with one of their poxy big red hands pointing at the prices, I recall LPG costing 52c late last year, now is 64c? Yet, they seem to offer 8c and even bigger discounts almost permanently these days... as long as you spend a certain amount in their shops.... makes you wonder............ :rolleyes:

Down down prices are down, for less for families....... yeah your "specials" which were regular prices a few weeks ago Coles and Woolies...

Filthy dogs they are.

brian nordstrom
24-01-2013, 10:05 AM
:sadeyes: Bunnings is another irritating one , I dont know how those poor employees put up with it over and over and over.... all day every day , it would drive me bonkers .
Bunnings warehouse !.... in that screachy voice and irritating music ,,, over and over ...... Poor buggers . :shrug: .
Brian.

Poita
24-01-2013, 10:10 AM
It seems that Ray Bradbury was right, they blare Denham's Dentifrice ads constantly to stop you all thinking.

I haven't owned a TV in years, don't listen to non ABC radio any more and let Coles know via a paper letter that I don't shop there any more because of their ads.

I have become over-sensitised to ads now, can't watch TV when I am at someone elses place, the ads seem insane.

AstralTraveller
24-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Sab,

Back in the 60's a kid up the road (somewhat older than me) got a xmas casual job at DJs (stores used to put on casuals over xmas before they casualised their entire workforce). His first job was to go around and change all the price tags (everything manual in those days of course) to bump up the prices by (say) 30%. They then advertised everything as 15% off marked price.

I reckon in ancient Egypt the traders in the bazaar did the same for the 'Pharaoh's Birthday Sale' or to celebrate the opening of the new pyramid. There isn't much new under the Sun. I wonder if someone was paid to sing some mindless ditty while strumming the oud?

simmo
24-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Please take a minute for us parents out there, :(

Not only do my wife and I get the ads but our kids loved the jingle and started singing it too! :rockband: While I was in the bank NAB kindly gave the kids some blow up hands to keep them amused with NAB written clearly on the hands. What did they sing you guessed it. DOWN DOWN prices are down. I think I heard a quite groan from nearly everyone in the bank.

No more down downs, I can't get any further down! :scared2:

While we're bagging ads went to the movies the other day to watch the Hobbit. 20mins of ads followed by trailers followed by more ads before it started. AHHHHHHHH!

Cheers
Simmo

LewisM
24-01-2013, 11:05 AM
We haven't watched commercial TV in our house for around 6 years now. Our 4 y.o watches ABC for kids, then the minute she's gone to school, off goes the box for 6 hours. Get's home watches a little more if we aren't playing with her etc, then to bed, and TV off.

People talk about TV shows - I just give them a genuine blank stare back. TV is not part of my life. IT is the LEAST important thing in my life.Rather than watch TV at night, we clean the place, or study, or I do astronomy, or.... whatever, just not the Tube.

Shop at Aldi as much as possible, as well as butcher shops, green grocers and bakeries. I DESPISE Woolworths - their prices are crazy for garbage quality (can anyone actually eat their meat and enjoy it???????). Cole's quality is a LITTLE better, and the prices sometimes better.

AstralTraveller
24-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Some would say that the adds were the best bit. :whistle:

allan gould
24-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Carrying on from my previous rant about how we are being bombarded with adverts. I went to see my son and his wife in Melbourne recently and sitting on the bus from the airport to the city, suddenly a tv screen comes to life and starts blaring out an infomercial and then adverts and again another infomercial with how good the bus service is.
Makes me insane and just turn off.

simmo
24-01-2013, 11:22 AM
AstralTraveller -Some would say that the adds were the best bit. :whistle: :lol::lol::lol:

FlashDrive
24-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Yep ...Spot On ....I have the same sentiments ....pure deceit and deception in Marketing.
I've seen it all to ....some prices down by a ' little ' .... go to the next aisle ...and find products ' jacked up ' in price.
Lift up the ' special ' tag displayed ....and find the original price was ' less ' ... or even better .....buy 2 for say ...$4.00 and ' save ' .....then lift up the ' tag ' ...and see ..$2.00 ea. ....what a load of ' crock ' ...where's the savings in that ..!! Now ' unsuspecting ' shoppers are going to think their saving ...in fact their not.

I've always been a person with ' very little ' trust in the retail sector.
What they ' tell ' you with all the hipe is always mixed with deceit ...!!
They'll do ' ANYTHING ' to get you to part with your cash.....especially SUPERMARKETS.....they are the ' biggest ' offenders of all.

Lastly ....I cannot fathom why shops have to have ' crap ' music playing at excessive volumes while being in their outlets.
I'm very sure others hate this.....If I am irritated ...I leave and shop else where....they've lost me and my money.

I feel better now ...!! :P

Flash ..!!

pgc hunter
24-01-2013, 11:28 AM
That's how the dupe the consumer.... raising prices left right and centre then 5 minutes later drop it to the original price and call it a "special". :mad2:

Speaking of ads.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xApm4o5mEvA

Poita
24-01-2013, 11:35 AM
Kids come to our house and are puzzled by the lack of a TV in the living room.

It is a genuinely quieter life.

We do have a projector, and we buy box sets of series and blurays of movies that friends recommend. So we still do watch some things, but when we feel like it, in hidef and no ads, and no TV as the focus of the room.

The kids are annoyed by ads in other places and think that it is 'unfair' how they make you 'want stuff'.

LewisM
24-01-2013, 12:00 PM
The only thing our girl has EVER wanted from TV was a Hoot doll from Giggle and Hoot. Didn't get it, and she got over it. She goes shopping and sees the Tinkerbell DVD's etc... they miraculously appear that night at home in HiDef form on the computer... :)

RelevantTheory
24-01-2013, 09:04 PM
I spent enough years in the nightfill "trenches", xmas carols are banned around me to this day...just kidding. I do have empathy for the poor souls in coles.

blink138
26-01-2013, 11:54 AM
i have just been listening to the nissan navarra ad and it reminded me of
THE WORST australian song eveeerrrr!
i think it was done by that bunch of whimps sherbet or the sherbs as they where later called
bad, soppy and predictable lyrics and sickly sweet for a "couple of good looking roosters" in a ute.............. uuurrrghhhh!!
massive fail
pat

LewisM
27-01-2013, 12:54 PM
Queenslanders of my generation and previous will well remember possibly THE most psychologically annoying advertisement ever. It was for Leo Muller Toyota...

L for Leo
M for Muller
T for Toyota

All sung in a very nauseating style.

I remember it perfectly to this day! Effective, yes, but in a NEGATIVE way.

Then again that dolt from National Tiles with his over-emphasised speech style is almost as annoying. I can assure you I will NOT buy any tiles from Nash-shun-al Ti-ellllllllllllllllllllllllls.

FlashDrive
27-01-2013, 02:58 PM
As soon as that comes on ...I switch stations ...I can't stand it ... sounds like a ' limp wristed shirt lifter ' ...if you get my drift. :lol:

Flash ..!!

LewisM
27-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Oh yeah, he's a right twat. Whichever ad exec told him that ANNOYING people so they remember you is a good way to advertise was a complete cretin.

I have often been tempted to walk into the local Nash-shun-al Ti-ellllllllllls and imitate the twat while talking to the sales reps to see their reactions, but I am sure they have seen/heard it a MILLION times before.

Another one that used to get me was Carlton Custom Upholstery "Hello Mum!"... big Mumma boy there... :)