PDA

View Full Version here: : AOE binos 12x60, 20x90 mini review (split)

janoskiss
24-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Of course the binos are not flawless, but they are amazingly good considering how much they cost. Both have excellent coatings and give very high contrast with stars against a dark background sky (as light pollution allows). The barrels of the 20x90 are very well blackened and baffled; but the inner walls of the 12x60 are black but reflective. You can see some stray light on bright targets, but it's no big deal.

It shows me heaps more stars and DSOs than the 8x42 Fujinons (as you'd expect from a 12x60). You can see the field stop of the 60+ degree FOV, but there is significant darkening in the outer 15-20% of the field which makes the FOV look a lot smaller than it is. But these are $119 binoculars that atm come with a heavy duty metal tripod adapter! It's a no brainer unless you are looking at spending hundreds more. And they are still quite hand holdable lying on one's back. Some chromatic aberration on Moon and other very bright targets, with green-violet fringing. But it's not an issue normally.

The 20x90 displays no vignetting and no reflections. Mine is a bit miscollimated (15-20 arc minutes mismatch between left and right), but as I understand this that can be adjusted. I just haven't gotten around to contacting AOE about it yet and I don't want to tinker till I do. There is some field curvature with softening towards the edge of field, but it was no real concern. The real concern was lack of comfort with the thing on the camera tripod. I need to get a more comfortable mount.

Eta Carinae looks stunning in this pair, as do many clusters. Stars look very nice and sharp. Not really suited to planetary viewing but Saturns rings easily visible (and they are not all blurred together with the rest of the planet), but I struggled to see banding on Jupiter. Bad neck pain with Jupiter high in the sky made me give up pretty quick on that one. Jovian moons stood out clear and sharp. And as I already mentioned, it pulls the galaxies extremely well. I cannot wait to try it out on the full Virgo cluster. Chromatic aberration is respectably kept under control. It's at least as good as the 20x80 triplet in this regard.

Look what you made me do now! That's it. :P But in summary: it is hard to believe you can get binos like these for what they cost. They are certainly awesome value with a lot of observing potential. ;)

johnno
24-05-2006, 03:58 AM
Hi Steve,

Thanks for a very interesting,and well written report on these Binoculars.

There is NO perfect Binocular,regardless,of Brand.
They ALL,have some Shortcomings,in some respect.

The ones you Mention,are to me,better than most,in their class,and better than some "supposedly",above their class.

Regards.
John

Starkler
24-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Did you ever see my bino mount Steve? This might give you some ideas.

http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=5717

I now just use the top bar part attached to a dovetail and with the porta mount :)

janoskiss
24-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Yes, I did Geoff. I will have to visit the local Al supplier. ;)

ving
24-05-2006, 03:36 PM
nice steve, almost makes me want to buy some binos.

mickoking
24-05-2006, 08:17 PM
Thanx for the review steve :thumbsup: At $119 the 12x60's look very tempting.

Cheers :cheers: Mick

johnno
25-05-2006, 01:30 AM
Nice Mount Geoff,

Who cares if it a little rough,you should see some of the stuff I make at times,
it looks like it gets the job done,and thats what its all about,

in fact I like your Idea so much I am going to make one myself.

Regards.
John

yagon
25-05-2006, 10:12 PM
janoskiss,

I am curious about big bino performance on planets. Was this planetary viewing from a light-polluted area or a dark sky site?

Are the 20x90 binos much bigger than 20x80s?

R

janoskiss
25-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Binos like these are not much use for planets. My observations of Saturn and Jupiter in this case were from light polluted skies, but that does not matter with these very bright objects. You are better off getting a good binoviewer for planets... or there are some very expensive long f-ratio Japanese binoculars you can get, but the aperture is still small compared with even a modest scope.

the 20x90 is 10mm bigger in aperture than the 20x80 obviously, but I suppose you mean length. ;) They do seem a bit longer but it's only really apparent when trying to use hand held (silly thing to do :nerd: ).