PDA

View Full Version here: : Refractor advice

Tony_
14-01-2013, 06:13 PM
G'day,

I have been imaging with a c9.25 / CGEM mount. I want to get a 80mm ed apo refractor to take wider field shots, also it will be easier to track etc. than a c9.25 at F10.
I know Taks etc are the best but I don't want to spend that sort of money - also I'm not after award winning images (not from my light infested backyard).
Basically I am after minimum abberation (especially purple halos) and a relatively flat field. I recently took some shots with my Orion ST80 guidescope, apart from these 2 factors (severe) it looked quite good.
I'm currently considering Skywatcher, William Optics, Orion or Long Perng. What experience do people have with these - any other recommendation? Should I keep away from any in particular. Any advice is appreciated. Will I need a field flattener with any of these? I want to spend less than $1k total.

Regards,
Tony.

rmuhlack
14-01-2013, 06:23 PM
just a thought - what about this: http://www.iceinspace.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=98889

Merlin66
14-01-2013, 06:35 PM
Something like an ED80 with a reducer/ corrector would be a good match for what you have.
Very good performers.

Wavytone
15-01-2013, 02:56 PM
Well... I was trying to sell my Orion 102mm f/7 ED refractor recently - I pulled the ad for lack of interest.

Tony_
24-01-2013, 08:59 PM
G'day,

Thanks to everyone who replied - and even an offer for first dibbs on a Takahashi. (but I had already bought something). I ended up getting an 80mm ED Long Perng - it is now marketted as a William Optics Zenithstar Mark II. It is a beautiful looking telescope and very well built.
I have attached my first (and so far only image). It's 9 x 2min subs unguided on a CGEM - I tried longer but there were clouds and a few planes. My camera is an unmodded canon 550d. Also the moon was at about 80% so that doesn't help. I had trouble focusing because the tension was too low. (tightened now).
On the bright side there's no significant purple fringe and the little coma in the corners was easily reduced with PS lens correction. I did a deconvolution with Iris - seems to brighten the stars too much though? I still have a lot to learn with processing - but then it is only 18 minutes of data. So far I am happy with it.

Regards,
Tony.