PDA

View Full Version here: : Real Estate agents...

LewisM
12-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Are they as despicable as a politician or worse???!!!

We are currently renting (but own a couple house) since we will be moving to Brisbane or Melbourne in November - may as well make money out of the house and flat now. ANyway, the owners of our rental decided to sell recenlty (after we had JUST signed the lease, which means we have the option to bail out NOW with only 2 weeks notice to them - they thought they were being smart, locking tenants in whilst they await a sale - they'll regret not doing their homework!)

Anyway, we told the agent right from the get go that we forbade Open House inspections and On Site auctions, which tenants in QLD have every right to do. To do Open House or on site auctions in QLD requires WRITTEN permission from the tenant. We came home the other day to an Entry Notice in the letterbox, stating they were going to do an Open House for 1015 to 1045 Saturday (today).

Of course, I shot off an email faster than you could think, telling him in NO UNCERTAIN terms that there is NO open house (or on site auctions) again, and to refer to the email he answered previously, attached. He answered, quickly, that he had a client wanting to inspect, and he thought may as well do an Open House at the same time. THIS made my blood boil, and I rang RTA straight then.

So, as RTA told me he would be breaking the law if he held the open house without my approval and signature, and yes, we were fully within our rights to move out with only a 2 week notice because of the owners intention to sell being announced 2 days after signing the lease (there is 2 months and 2 weeks period in which this is valid after a lease signing). An entry notice in QLD also requires a complete list given to the tenant of people entering the house - which was not supplied either. I duly told the agent this...

Of course, he never responded, and the allotted time as per his notice came and went with no show. He also did not have the courage or manners to call, SMS or email that they would not be in attendance with this phantom potential purchaser. How did I predict that!

All a bloody ruse set up to sting people who do NOT know their rights as tenants and are pushed around by these thugs. Was it not transparent " I have a buyer wishing to view the Property , and thought that an Open for 30 mins not 45 mins would be ok" as his only answer? Caught red handed in the cookie jar! I politely pointed out that I have worked as a property manager for the past 4 years in the places we own, and I am completely in cognizance of the rental law! (though often talk to the seniors at RTA about some points)

I doubt he'll try it again. He must be desperate - no bites for the place as yet! Must suck working commission.

Karls48
12-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Funny coincidence. We were renting property since I split with my ex, for about eleven years. Just before Christmas the owner placed it for sale. I was considering purchasing it, but found out that no one would give me mortgage because I’m in my mid sixties. As he treated us OK I allowed many inspections on short notice making sure that place looks presentable. Place was sold and new owners told us that we can stay (and raised our rent by 40% with 60 days notice) as it is investment property. Couple weeks ago we received letter from their Real Estate agent with 90 days No Grounds notice to vacate property. Not happy- but well, fair enough. It is their property. But, should we want leave earlier they require 3 weeks written notice. Is that right?
So – for while no Astronomy for me. Took down the pier and packed my telescopes

blink138
13-01-2013, 03:58 AM
perhaps the potential purchasers have heard rumours that the bins supplied are not big enough ha ha!
pat

LewisM
13-01-2013, 09:25 AM
There is that possibility :)